I've got a question on funding. One of the UCs has me on their waitlist, for funding reasons more than anything else. I would have a TAship for the 2013-2014 academic year, but nothing else seems guaranteed. They're trying to find me money to cover what the TAship doesn't, and I was assured that it wouldn't be difficult to find funding following the first year.

Has anyone accepted an offer like this, in which there's really no guaranteed funding beyond the first year? Or is it somewhat common? I'd need for the first year to be completely covered to even think about attending, but even if I receive complete funding for the 2013-2014 year, it doesn't seem to be guaranteed funding for the following years.

I've got a question on funding. One of the UCs has me on their waitlist, for funding reasons more than anything else. I would have a TAship for the 2013-2014 academic year, but nothing else seems guaranteed. They're trying to find me money to cover what the TAship doesn't, and I was assured that it wouldn't be difficult to find funding following the first year.

Has anyone accepted an offer like this, in which there's really no guaranteed funding beyond the first year? Or is it somewhat common? I'd need for the first year to be completely covered to even think about attending, but even if I receive complete funding for the 2013-2014 year, it doesn't seem to be guaranteed funding for the following years.

Honestly, I'd be very careful and scope the situation out with great care if I were you. Speak to current students, preferably advanced ones. A humanities PhD would require at least 4, usually 6 years. A funding situation that only just about covers the first year is a rather precarious one, IMO.

Honestly, I'd be very careful and scope the situation out with great care if I were you. Speak to current students, preferably advanced ones. A humanities PhD would require at least 4, usually 6 years. A funding situation that only just about covers the first year is a rather precarious one, IMO.

As excited as I am about my status, I am wary of the funding situation. I appreciate the good advice to seek out current students. I know the UC's are not funded too well, and it should be informative at the least to find out how current students are funded.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure about the exact numbers, but my fraternity brother is finishing up his master's at Auburn (why he didn't accept Purdue's offer is beyond me) in comp/rhet and he's been admitted to the University of Alabama's PhD program, but apparently the funding for Alabama's PhD program is a bit less than his funded MA at Auburn (which is ~14.k). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping this thread up for this year's crop of applicants, since the second post is amazing and invaluable for those concerned about funding packages for various institutions. I was surprised to see some solid funding packages for a few of the smaller U of C schools, and also surprised at a few numbers (high and low) for other programs.

• 5 months later...

Bumping this up one more time, since it's been hugely helpful for many folks (and myself personally!) over the past couple of years. Funding packages change from year to year, of course, but most of these should remain in the ballpark at least.

(The link on the second post is of particular value...)

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

Bumping this up one more time, since it's been hugely helpful for many folks (and myself personally!) over the past couple of years. Funding packages change from year to year, of course, but most of these should remain in the ballpark at least.

(The link on the second post is of particular value...)

Thanks WT, this is incredibly helpful. My own notes about funding are scattered across a half dozen word docs on my computer, so it's great to see everything on one page.

And, so far as I can tell, the numbers listed here are within 1K or so of what I've seen this year. It's also helpful that the person who made this doc included information on individual programs' fellowship $$, as that's a major variable that's sometimes hard to get information about.

• 1 month later...

While I'm going through and editing the document for programs I know about, I figured I'd bump the thread in case anyone else wanted to update the information for the schools they have offers at. 

This was a really valuable resource for me, and I know many others as well, so I'm doing my part to keep it current. 

Two classes means two courses you're in charge of. Since the courses you lead are most often freshman composition, you'll usually have two or three sessions per class per week. A friend of mine is teaching 2/2 MWF this semester, and thus has six different class sessions each week.

Edited by Ramus

Two classes means two courses you're in charge of. Since the courses you lead are most often freshman composition, you'll usually have two or three sessions per class per week. A friend of mine is teaching 2/2 MWF this semester, and thus has six different class sessions each week.

Wow, that's a lot

I teach a 2/2 now. (In fact, they have me teaching 2 different courses [102 and an intro to fiction] with 2 different preps. grrrr) It's not that bad, but we only take two grad classes per semester. I think it'd be way more challenging to teach two and take three.

I teach a 2 sections this semester and it's a real grind, especially combined with work at the writing center on campus and two grad courses. Oy.

Would love if people who received funding info could update the spreadsheet! I see most of them are from Fall 2013.

This is such a good idea! Perhaps someone can inform us about Berkeley's and Stanford's usual stipends for Comp. Lit students. Until now, I have managed to get this information from other universities (E.g. Chicago, UCLA, Cornell, CUNY...), but these two tend to be extremely secretive on this matter.

I got into Berkeley, but they have yet to tell me how much funding is available...

Hey, quick question: How are you guys approaching negotiating? I got into my top choice program but I have two offers from schools that indicated they would match all other offers. My favorite program ranks significantly higher than the other two, so I'm not sure how serious they would take the competition.  Plus, they are already offering me slightly more than seems to be the rule so I'm not sure how far I can push it. Any thoughts?