Wichita, KS

marahbee06

I'm just wondering if there were some good place that are affordable to live around Wichita State. I don't know much about the school, so I would like whatever insight you can give me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Any information about Wichita would be greatly appreciated!!  I'd also like to know about housing, as well as the need for a car, whether people are nice, tolerant, etc, public transportation or bike riding, nearest airport that'll fly to major cities, food offerings, and any other information!

I'm considering going to WSU and so far all of the info I've found online is pretty scary (between crime rates and people flat out saying not to move here) and seriously making me question whether Wichita would be a good place to spend 2 years of my life while I do my MA.  Maybe I should just bring my dog for safety?

• 3 weeks later...

You all have probably made your decisions by now but I thought I'd add some information to this thread.  I don't live in Wichita but I have lived in Kansas for a while and have friends in Wichita/have been to Wichita many times.

First of all — Wichita is very strongly associated with aircraft and aircraft manufacturing.  Actually, I suspect that's a big reason people you've been seeing online have been saying not to move there.  Boeing has a big manufacturing plant based in Wichita (and has for a long time) but that's closing by the end of 2013 so a lot of people will be looking for work. 

Wichita is a fairly inexpensive city overall and housing is fairly inexpensive there too.  I would not move to Wichita without a car.  I would not move to Kansas without a car.  I would not move to any of the states surrounding Kansas without a car.  Everything is spread out out here because there is just a lot of space.  HOWEVER, Wichita does have a domestic airport that flies to many major cities.  From Wichita Mid-Continent Airport you can fly to Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Minneapolis, and (I think) Denver.

The weather in Kansas is completely erratic.  Yesterday it was snowing.  In February we had 70 degree days.  It can be 75 degrees one day and 30 two days later.  Thunderstorms pop up quickly and the entire state is prone to tornadoes.  Summer days are often 100+ degrees and it isn't unheard of to be in the single digits in January.

Personally I am hoping to get out of Kansas altogether for graduate school (been here for years and years, need a change) but if I weren't I would move to Wichita.

I lived and went to school in Wichita for four years (I assume you're going to WSU?), and I agree with much of what aerin_sol has said. To me, Wichita has the intimate feel of a small town but still offers all of the cultural activities, socializing, industry, shopping, etc. typical of a larger city. It's relatively affordable and there are quite a few options for apartments/housing. Some apartments complexes that I recall that are within walking distance to campus are Tall Oaks, The Grove, University Place. And yes, you will be at a great disadvantage if you do not own a car, as the bus system is not very efficient, and the university is quite far from grocery stores, coffee shops, etc. That is one downside of WSU--because it is in an urban setting, it feels like a commuter campus. The community in and around the university isn't as tight-knit as it would be at more traditional schools. Also, WSU isn't located in the best part of town, so, yes, crime is an issue, but it shouldn't deter you from attending the school. I would just recommend avoiding housing on the south side of campus where the majority of the crime takes place. I actually lived in that part of the city and never had any issues, but I still wouldn't recommend it.

Because Kansas is in the Bible Belt/uber-conservative part of the country, Wichita, naturally, is more conservative than most cities of a similar size, but I wouldn't consider it intolerant. In fact, the student political/social organizations of both parties are very vocal and active on campus and you can easily find people and groups of your niche. Overall, people there are generally kind and cordial.

One of my favorite parts of Wichita is the variety of restaurants and cultural foods. You can find quality Thai, Indian, Mediterranean, French, Mexican restaurants, etc., you name it. Anyway, I just realized that this was posted almost a month ago. Hope things worked out and if you have any more questions about Wichita or WSU feel free to message me.

Edited by Inez90

• 3 years later...

Hello!

I am due to study my MS in WSU and from what I've browsed up on Wichita crime and violence, it doesn't look reassuring. I'm wondering if anyone from Wichita, living nearby WSU, could provide me with another perspective. I really want to life outside of campus if possible but won't have a car -possibly a bike though.

Thank you!

Edited by Doujinium

• 9 months later...

Hey everyone!

So I was just accepted to Wichita State for grad school and am choosing between WSU and Grand Valley State University in Michigan.

I have never been to Kansas and am from Michigan originally so I am not familiar with the South or West at all but am planning on visiting before I make my final decision. Can anyone give any information of the school or the area? 

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I'm coming from Michigan to Wichita  State too! What I heard from other grad students is the North east& college hill area. I can give you plenty of advice if you want! The school seems pretty cool (i visited for my interview). The area around the school isn't the best for crime (so it's better to live in the safer areas). Everything is pretty close together (as far as the campus), so it's easy to get from class to class. Its a spread out city overall, but i've looked up and already found that there is a lot to do. It's warmer than Michigan and windy. If you have any specific questions I can try my best to answer them since I've talked to locals and done my research (: 

• 3 years later...

This thread is pretty dead but I thought I'd give some advice for future folks!

I live in Wichita and have for 10 years, currently finishing my second bachelor's. WSU isn't in a great neighborhood depending on what side of campus you're on — the 17th and Hillside area is pretty sketchy. When I was originally in undergrad I knew someone who was robbed at gunpoint while sitting in their car at night in a campus lot, and I definitely wouldn't be out and about on/near campus after dark if I were alone.

That being said, WSU is a great campus as far as getting from one building to another and I have loved my experience here. There are several affordable apartment complexes near school (I know several people who lived at Willow Creek, Ponderosa, Somerset, and Woodgate, but there are certainly others). I have a car and would recommend it, but I've never used the public transit here so I'm not sure if that's a viable option. I like to go all over the city though so it's easier to have a car for me.

Wichita has made great strides in being more young adult-friendly since I moved here and there are some really cool areas of the city which I love. Kansas is a very red state but Wichita is mostly tolerant and closer to the liberal side of things, which I enjoy. 

I would definitely recommend it; the crime stats are scary online but I have lived here for a decade (and alone for the last four years) and haven't had issues. It's a great city to live in if you don't need or want the huge urban metro type of thing but still want to live in a city with plenty of things to do.