Elliott vrs Fletcher

leon32

I've decided that I will go to Elliott or Fletcher over the other schools I got into. I'd rather go to Fletcher because I like Boston, like that I can take classes at Harvard, and it seems like a more collegiate experience with a stronger community. I'm not sure that I should give up the DC location though. At Elliott I'd be going into the security studies program, at fletcher I'd study security and human security. If I choose Elliott it will be because of the location and the ability to work during the day. Do those two factors trump Fletcher's ranking and reputation? Also, SIS would be about $4-$5,000 cheaper than both, I'm I wrong to not consider it? Thanks for any help/advice.

I think that an additional $5000 is not a bad compromise to make for the Fletcher/GWU tag. You are right about GW's location though. It definitely gives you more time to network/get a part-time job. I like Somerville but I'm not a huge fan of being stuck in the Fletcher bubble for 2 years. DC is just a lot more accessible in that sense. But Fletcher is considered a tier 1 school...

I'm trying to decide between Fletcher MALD and Harvard MPP. For me the price difference is probably going to be around 19k (assuming HKS doesn't offer me any $. Their fin aid decisions come out later.) That is a HUGE price difference. I like the MPP program and Harvard opens up a lot of doors with their alumni network but I just can't decide if it's worth that much more money. 

I would go with Fletcher.  Their network is stronger.

Iskawaran, what makes you say their network is stronger? Are you referencing the close-knit community I keep hearing about? Do you believe that's lacking from GWU?

I am facing too many options (a good problem to have, at least) but, due to finances, I am attempting to narrow it down between Fletcher, Duke and GWU since they gave me aid/fellowships. Leon32, similar to you, I'd study SSP at GWU and security & human security at Fletcher.

Fletcher strikes me as higher up the food chain than GWU.  I have a couple friends at Fletcher and they love it and have access to a lot of amazing internships and jobs.  The students and faculty are amazing.  Also, don't underestimate the value of being able to interact with MIT, HLS, HBS, and the rest of the Boston community.  DC may be the policy epicenter, but in terms of the cutting edge, Boston is where it's at.  Far more top-level programs there.

Looking at your signature -- I see Fletcher, SAIS, and MSFS all accepted you -- I would put those in the same echelon (the top one) -- and Fletcher was kind enough to give you money.

Duke is basically in the middle of nowhere.  You're not going to have access to a larger dynamic community like you would in Boston.

And as for GWU, from interacting with various people at the program I will say that my sense is that it's not on the same level as Fletcher.  I could be wrong on this.

Personally, there ought to be no contest between Elliott and Fletcher, if Fletcher provided aid and Elliott did not. Fletcher is a better school, has a stronger alumni base, a more diverse curriculum, a stronger sense of community and offers an alternative to DC internships with various opportunities within Boston, not to mention nearby New York. 

Elliott is no doubt a good school, but the only advantage it may have over Fletcher aside from the location is the stronger emphasis on Economics. For me that would have been a selling point, however you can definitely structure your degree/curriculum around Economics at Fletcher. Fletcher gives you the chance to focus your education, and I think if you want to make Econ a focus of your studies as I will, there are plenty of good, challenging courses to take. The difference really is just that at places like Elliott and SAIS, everyone takes rigorous Econ classes, and at Fletcher, fewer people do, but those who choose to, have the same opportunity to take rigorous courses; it's just not as common.

I'm likely headed to Fletcher myself unless SIPA blows me away with an aid package (which isnt happening).

Edited by Pinkman

Fletcher strikes me as higher up the food chain than GWU.  I have a couple friends at Fletcher and they love it and have access to a lot of amazing internships and jobs.  The students and faculty are amazing.  Also, don't underestimate the value of being able to interact with MIT, HLS, HBS, and the rest of the Boston community.  DC may be the policy epicenter, but in terms of the cutting edge, Boston is where it's at.  Far more top-level programs there.

Looking at your signature -- I see Fletcher, SAIS, and MSFS all accepted you -- I would put those in the same echelon (the top one) -- and Fletcher was kind enough to give you money.

Duke is basically in the middle of nowhere.  You're not going to have access to a larger dynamic community like you would in Boston.

And as for GWU, from interacting with various people at the program I will say that my sense is that it's not on the same level as Fletcher.  I could be wrong on this.

I agree that fletcher is on a different level than elliott.

However, I think you overestimate the importance of being in boston. So fletcher students get to "interact" with MIT, HLS, HBS students. Ok, so what? I guess you can take classes there, but you won't get to enjoy the main benefits of their career services, access to recruiting and jobs, etc. And you probably won't be able to attend most of their company presentations and other events either.

Edited by Revolution

Thanks for the input. My gut is telling me to go to Fletcher and it seems fairly obvious that it is a notch up than GWU, based on its reputation, community and course offerings. I've been debating whether the DC location is worth choosing GWU over Fletcher, so it's helpful to hear others' perspectives. I do want to incorporate economics into my courses and I think it is certainly feasible at Fletcher -- I took the time this afternoon to put together a spreadsheet of courses I would like to take over the four semesters there and managed to get a good blend of econ, security and conflict resolution. And I love the research they are doing over at the Feinstein International Center on humanitarianism and counterterrorism.

Edited by waltlaa9

Personally, there ought to be no contest between Elliott and Fletcher, if Fletcher provided aid and Elliott did not. Fletcher is a better school, has a stronger alumni base, a more diverse curriculum, a stronger sense of community and offers an alternative to DC internships with various opportunities within Boston, not to mention nearby New York. 

Oh, Pinkman, Elliott gave me a fellowship also. Since it is a less expensive program, tuition is going to cost me the same at either school.

As I have said elsewhere, I am a big believer in the importance of being in DC.  There may be good opportunities in Boston, and I admit that I do not have a lot of knowledge of what is available in the area.  However, DC is really where all of the international policy is happening.  To me it makes a big difference in everything from the types of internships that are available to the types of events and speakers that you can attend.  I have to agree with Revolution that the presence of other top-tier universities is unlikely to have much of an impact on your career prospects or even your everyday life.

Pinkman, I am curious to know what you mean by saying that Fletcher has a "stronger alumni base."  If you mean that the alumni is more connected to the school and has a bigger sense of community, then that seems plausible to me.  However, in terms of size, I am sure that Elliott has a larger base. I run into Elliott alumni working in DC all the time, but I have never met a Fletcher alumnus.