Miami, FL

phdresearch

Have not read this entire thread...however I am from Miami. The Coral Gables area is beautiful but expensive.  In my opinion, if you can find housing anywhere along the metro line you are set. My sister went to UM and she lived in apartments near Dadeland Mall area...this way she hoped the metro each morning and got to Um in under 10 minutes. Beats traffic, parking, and the high cost of living of the gables. 

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Hi Salix! I'm going to move to Miami in August for FIU at the MMC campus. Are there neighborhoods you recommend near there and/or neighborhoods that are a decent commute to get there? 

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey All,

I'm heading down to Miami next month for on-campus interviews at University of Miami (RSMAS). 

I know Miami has crime issues, so could anyone tell me how safe the areas around campus are/what places to avoid? Any suggestions on things to see/do nearby?

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2017 at 10:43 PM, krystasonrisa said:

Here to bump this thread. 

Anyone know if living in Miami is possible on $1200/month? (Personal budget)

That's more than enough depending on the area. What institution will you be attending?

On 3/9/2017 at 1:10 PM, thewholeenchilada said:

Afternoon! I am looking to move to Miami for UM and will only be getting 28k. Is this possible to live on? I am no stranger to urban areas but prefer not to live in a high crime neighborhood.

Living in Miami is affordable as long as you have a vehicle and you are willing to live in the outskirts of the city. $28k for 12 months is a lot. You will not need all of that. I would live in South Miami and not Coral Gables to be able to have extra money. DM for more info.

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/22/2017 at 9:13 AM, krystasonrisa said:

Here to bump this thread. 

Anyone know if living in Miami is possible on $1200/month? (Personal budget)

On 3/9/2017 at 11:40 PM, thewholeenchilada said:

Afternoon! I am looking to move to Miami for UM and will only be getting 28k. Is this possible to live on? I am no stranger to urban areas but prefer not to live in a high crime neighborhood.

Sorry to jump on this thread. I just got admitted to the PhD program in Biostatistics offered through the medical school at the University of Miami. Looking to stay on campus ,or close to campus.

Is there any on-campus housing available to graduate students? Any affordable housing options close to campus that people would recommend? I would prefer living in a high-rise or apartment building as opposed to directly renting from a small-landlord/owner based on prior experience, but I am flexible . I have a US DL, but would prefer living within biking distance.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Reviving an ancient thread....

Anyone have any input about where to live in Miami? I will be starting at FIU this August, and I'm moving with my family (husband and two teens). Our income will be somewhat limited, but not just stipend, and I really don't want to have to drive two hours to campus in the ridiculous Miami traffic. Does anyone have any suggestions? TIA!

• 5 months later...

I've lived in Miami all my life, and the one thing that I would say is that you probably need a car to get around. Unless you want to do Uber/Lyft or carpool. If you live on/near FIU, then I think you should be good because there is a Publix, Walgreens, etc. right across the street from campus. However, it would mean having to carry your groceries. I was lucky enough to live only a few minutes away from FIU and even though I didn't have a car, I relied on Uber/Lyft, parents, friends, etc. to drive me to and from campus and to wherever else I wanted/needed to go. One of the reasons I'm moving away from Miami and even Florida for my PhD is because I want to be more close to things, and since I'm not planning on buying a car, I would need to do things by walking/biking. I also want to have a change of scenery and environment (people, culture, etc.). Many people who think of Miami think of the beach. I'm about an hour away from Miami Beach. It's beautiful there. I don't think Sweetwater is that nice surrounding FIU, but it just depends where you go. Miami could mean Sweetwater, Brickell, Coral Gables, Kendall, etc. There are certain places that are nice and certain places that are just run down and not so pleasant. 

These are just my personal opinions after living 20+ years in Miami, FL.

Edited by The Maritime Scholar