SAIS Bologna

Hi everyone,

I have just been accepted into SAIS' Bologna program, and I'd like to hear from people who have decided to attend this program and why, as well as from others who have been accepted and are currently debating the pros and cons. Were there any concerns you had that an open house of staff member addressed for you that made your decision easier? 

If you are a SAIS Bologna student or alum, I'd be very interested to hear the strengths and weaknesses you saw in it, and how you think it might compare to Fletcher and SIPA's programs. Thanks everyne!

I've been accepted into the SAIS Bologna program too and am also interested to hear peoples' thoughts.  The other SAIS thread has become pretty negative and devolved into a debate about MBA programs, so I'd love to discuss Bologna in more detail here! 

PROS: Personally, a big draw of the SAIS Bologna program for me is the smaller and highly international community of 200 students that meets my "good fit" test.  I think the intl economics and language-focused curriculum would challenge me and be good preparation for a career in public policy and intl affairs.  I'm also excited by their courses on human rights, as I hope to go into advocacy work.  I received some funding, which helps offset my concerns about cost.   I would still be taking on quite a bit of debt, but I'm beginning to think it would be worth it... Finally, I've been so impressed by how attentive and helpful their staff and faculty have been so far.  They have been very responsive and clear in their responses to me. 

CONS: The cost is still intimidating despite the fellowship I've been offered, particularly because it seems difficult, if not impossible to work while at SAIS.  I would like some focused management training and am not sure I'll get that at SAIS.  I hope to go into nonprofit work and feel that the program is more geared towards government and foreign service.  I've been working in domestic policy for the past 3+ years, so returning to intl relations (what I studied in undergrad) is a bit more uncertain for me, then going a more domestically focused route. However, I think SAIS presents an ideal opportunity for me to break back into international affairs considering my current resume. 

Finally, on the career services side, I think SAIS will open a lot of doors for me and I'm excited about the career services program they seem to offer. But I don't have illusions that any school is going to get me the exact job I want.  As I've learned working in the real world, where I land after graduate school will be up to me and how well I leverage opportunities.  

devstudies- What are YOUR pros and cons? :)

Im also curious about this, I think my biggest doubt is whether as an international it is possible to do an internship in the US over the summer, even though I asked Nelson Graves directly he didn´t know the answer. At the same time I didn´t get any funding and in my country SAIS is less well known than GT, Chicago or even Austin. So any current students please do share your thoughts!

I've been accepted into the SAIS Bologna program too and am also interested to hear peoples' thoughts.  The other SAIS thread has become pretty negative and devolved into a debate about MBA programs, so I'd love to discuss Bologna in more detail here! 

Indeed, it was getting pretty ridiculous over there. Let's keep this one an MBA-free zone, haha. (Not that I have anything against an MBA, it just isn't super relevant to some of us).

I'm pretty sure SAIS offers courses in nonprofit management, but I could be wrong (I've looked at a lot of course listing over the last week, they've started to blend together). Also, according to the website most students intern during the year for about 10 hours per week.

My pros and cons are quite similar to yours: I love the idea of living in Bologna, both because, well, it's Italy! but also because I might be interested in using my EU citizenship to work in Europe after I graduate. DC? Meh. But Bologna? Oh yeah, that's exciting. The quant is also a selling point, since as I stated in the previous thread I'm not a quant guy and I like the idea of someone forcing me to "eat my vegetables," so to speak, because no way I'd be doing it otherwise. Finally, the emphasis on language acquisition is a big selling point. The biggest (well, only) con is the price.

I'll probably be going to the open house in DC next month, anyone else going to be there?

Thank you for starting this topic. I realize that I helped encourage the derailment of the other SAIS thread, but I have trouble not responding when I feel that people are spewing untruths! Anyhow, here's to hoping that we can keep this thread clean.

My pros and cons are quite similar to yours: I love the idea of living in Bologna, both because, well, it's Italy! but also because I might be interested in using my EU citizenship to work in Europe after I graduate. DC? Meh. But Bologna? Oh yeah, that's exciting. 

I totally agree and am actually in the same position as you! I love the idea of exploring whether I want to return to Europe.  

I unfortunately can't make any of the open house events... I'm too far away on the West Coast and swamped at work :/ 

It's also kind of funny and exciting to think that some of us agonizing on these boards may end up in the same classes. 

I was also accepted into the MA Program in Bologna, but am confused. Is the program in Bologna both years? I thought it was one year in Bologna and the next year in D.C. Can anyone clarify this? 

Internship wise I'm sure you guys can still apply, but since you don't have a visa to the US then you're going to have to go through a different process and apply for a VISA to work there. I'm sure the career services at SAIS Bologna would have better information. Either way as an international you're going to have to get a visa.

I was also accepted into the MA Program in Bologna, but am confused. Is the program in Bologna both years? I thought it was one year in Bologna and the next year in D.C. Can anyone clarify this? 

First year in Bologna, then 2nd year in D.C. 

The sad thing is I emailed the career services more than a week ago and they still haven´t responded (pretty bad sign considering Nelson "put me in touch supposedly" if you ask me), visa wise it is almost impossible to do it without OPT and we can´t have that as we will not be students in the US until afterwards. 

I think I'm like everyone else on this board - tired of the MBA talk/drama on the other SAIS board. 

Personally the only con of this is the cost. I like the idea of a group (I hear that the Bologna group gets closer than the ones in D.C., being together in a foreign country). LOVE the idea of being in Europe and an international/European focus.

I don't love the idea of all the quant courses, but it's probably good to have. 

I'm deciding between Fletcher and SAIS (SIPA is the third choice right now), and will go to all three open houses! Maybe we can all share notes after the open houses...I'm sure by SAIS I'll be tired after two days of school tours. 

So unless they answer differently my prospectives are doing an internship back home (and as no one knows sais there it is not the best choice, or something in Italy with it´s 40+ % under 30 unemployment rate). Sorry for being a drama queen but the lack of response from the career services, I am going to the DC openhouse too and then deciding, maybe I ve gotten it completely wrong but Mr. Graves couldn´t give me a straight answer other than "our students do internships around the world", I am sure it is true, but that might just be because well they have to go back home as they are international. 

I'm deciding between Fletcher and SAIS (SIPA is the third choice right now), and will go to all three open houses! Maybe we can all share notes after the open houses...I'm sure by SAIS I'll be tired after two days of school tours. 

Yeah that would be awesome! I'd be down for meeting up with some people when we're in DC, if anyone is interested.

So unless they answer differently my prospectives are doing an internship back home (and as no one knows sais there it is not the best choice, or something in Italy with it´s 40+ % under 30 unemployment rate). Sorry for being a drama queen but the lack of response from the career services, I am going to the DC openhouse too and then deciding, maybe I ve gotten it completely wrong but Mr. Graves couldn´t give me a straight answer other than "our students do internships around the world", I am sure it is true, but that might just be because well they have to go back home as they are international. 

I would email him again. He responded to my email within 24 hours, so I'm guessing it just got lost in the fray. I'm sure they're receiving a crush of emails right now. If you don't mind me asking, where you from?

I'm also heavily considering SAIS Bologna. To be honest that's what my heart and head says is the best thing to do for similar reasons others have already mentioned in the thread (great course selection for me, provides good quantitative skills, great career services, the year in Bologna in terms of great social life and future opportunities working in Europe etc.). But I also have a long-term girlfriend and it's hard for us to figure out how she could join me and we both absolutely hate long distance (we have experience of that) and also the money I've been given from AU and Denver are also appealing. So the debate for me is the best education + career opportunities vs. possibly miserable relationship status + spending more money.

The Bologna admissions people have been very helpful and quick to respond to me, and what I've heard of Bologna and SAIS in general makes the program sound like a very solid option.

Yeah that would be awesome! I'd be down for meeting up with some people when we're in DC, if anyone is interested.   I would email him again. He responded to my email within 24 hours, so I'm guessing it just got lost in the fray. I'm sure they're receiving a crush of emails right now. If you don't mind me asking, where you from?
He does, but he is clueless about the whole internship thing and the woman in charge of job placements is yet to reply which seriously makes me wonder. It is sad that such an expensive program cannot respond to such a simple question!

For those attending open houses, would you be open to posting your experiences in the thread at some point? I'm sure there are a lot of people who would benefit from your impressions and insights.

Random question -- for folks attending SAIS Bologna in Year 1, are you receiving the same level of financial support when you return to DC? My understanding was that Bologna had its own "pot" of money, and it would be weird/suck if they didn't provide the similar support when you return.

Also, were you selected for the Bologna campus via the checkbox on the application? I've heard of people who were offered admission to Bologna, but not DC without any explanation as to why, and we still haven't been able to figure out their decision-making. Thought maybe we could "crowd source" the answer. (Also I realize "crowd source" is a douchey word, but I'm too lazy to think of alternatives).   

Edited by jm08

For those attending open houses, would you be open to posting your experiences in the thread at some point? I'm sure there are a lot of people who would benefit from your impressions and insights.

Recordings from the 2011 admitted students open house are available on youtube. Watching these wouldn't be the same experience as going in person, but it might be the next best thing. I think they have them in mp3 form somewhere, in case you don't feel like sitting in front of a youtube screen for hours and hours on end.

Random question -- for folks attending SAIS Bologna in Year 1, are you receiving the same level of financial support when you return to DC? My understanding was that Bologna had its own "pot" of money, and it would be weird/suck if they didn't provide the similar support when you return.

Also, were you selected for the Bologna campus via the checkbox on the application? I've heard of people who were offered admission to Bologna, but not DC without any explanation as to why, and we still haven't been able to figure out their decision-making. Thought maybe we could "crowd source" the answer. (Also I realize "crowd source" is a douchey word, but I'm too lazy to think of alternatives).   

This is one of my questions as well, especially since I did not receive funding for the first year. If I attend SAIS, I'd have to qualify for funding for the second year by having a good year in Bologna. 

My financial aid letter specifically mentions no fellowship for the 2013-2014 academic year, so I'd assume they are separate. 

Does anyone know how this works?

My letter mentioned an amount for year 1 in Bologna and then a smaller amount for year 2 if I maintain a 3.4 GPA in my first semester at Bologna.  The letter mentioned that less funding is available for year 2 in DC.  This is definitely a major factor in my decision: 1) can I maintain that 3.4 GPA (jeeze, I hope so!), 2) am I willing to take on debt for the year 2 tuition?

I didn't think it was possible to only be accepted at Bologna for the MA program... There is the Bologna-only MAIA program, but otherwise I think the admissions offer is for the standard year 1 in Bologna, year 2 in DC.  Or do you mean that these candidates selected DC as their year 1 campus choice, but were then admitted to year 1 in Bologna?  That does seem a little odd and they should follow up with the admissions office. I had thought there were two ways to be admitted to Bologna- you either select Bologna as your year 1 campus choice or you select the either  campus option and they place you. 

(PS: Woot! I'm now caffeinated... which is my usual state of being ;) )

Edited by flyingjellyfish