SAIS Bologna

Thanks to everyone for your great responses!

@flyingjellyfish -- a friend of mine only checked the DC campus box, but they offered him the Bologna/DC campus option with no explanation. We were like...what is going on here? 

Thanks to everyone for your great responses!

@flyingjellyfish -- a friend of mine only checked the DC campus box, but they offered him the Bologna/DC campus option with no explanation. We were like...what is going on here? 

That is strange! Your friend should definitely follow up and ask what happened... Especially if he doesn't want to move to Italy!

For Americans considering going to SAIS-Bologna - any intel on how to manage the transition from Bologna to summer internships to DC? It seems that the Bologna year ends rather late - the very end of May - so how could we get to DC (or wherever) in time to find adequate housing before starting an internship (which we would have to procure long-distance)? I'm no longer a 19-year-old undergrad, so the idea of moving into some group situation found on craiglist sight-unseen with none of my furniture (which would theoretically be sitting in my parents' basement hundreds of miles away) is very unappealing.

Edited by ridofme

For Americans considering going to SAIS-Bologna - any intel on how to manage the transition from Bologna to summer internships to DC? It seems that the Bologna year ends rather late - the very end of May - so how could we get to DC (or wherever) in time to find adequate housing before starting an internship (which we would have to procure long-distance)? I'm no longer a 19-year-old undergrad, so the idea of moving into some group situation found on craiglist sight-unseen with none of my furniture (which would theoretically be sitting in my parents' basement hundreds of miles away) is very unappealing.

Here's the link to next year's academic calendar: http://www.jhubc.it/DOCUMENTS/academiccalendar.pdf

The very last day is May 16. But it still doesn't give a lot of room for relocation/securing housing/going to internship interview so you're right about that. Luckily more and more organizations are happy to do skype interviews but the whole process overall will still be pretty stressful I'm sure.

Edited by JFactor

Here's the link to next year's academic calendar: http://www.jhubc.it/DOCUMENTS/academiccalendar.pdf

The very last day is May 16. But it still doesn't give a lot of room for relocation/securing housing/going to internship interview so you're right about that. Luckily more and more organizations are happy to do skype interviews but the whole process overall will still be pretty stressful I'm sure.

Thank you for that link! Something I was looking at previously showed commencement around May 25 or 26th if I'm not mistaken. That extra 10 days will be helpful for sure.

Turning to curriculum... What are courses that you'd be excited to take at SAIS Bologna and what are aspects of the curriculum that appeal to you?

I'm drawn to the IR elective courses on human rights.  I also love the idea of being back in a language classroom.  What a dream to start learning Italian in the country!  My plan is to try to test out of French in September and then enjoy acquiring Italian.  

Anyone familiar with what the language placement tests entail?  I wonder if they're similar to the European standards.  As context, I recently passed the DELF B2 French proficiency test and have been considering taking the DALF C1.  I wonder if the SAIS placement tests are at a similar level. I also speak Spanish at a beginning-intermediate level, but I'm much stronger in French.  I'm hopeful that knowing two romance languages will help me learn Italian... though it might get a bit confusing, hence why I'd need to test out of French swiftly once I arrive! 

Turning to curriculum... What are courses that you'd be excited to take at SAIS Bologna and what are aspects of the curriculum that appeal to you?

I'm drawn to the IR elective courses on human rights.  I also love the idea of being back in a language classroom.  What a dream to start learning Italian in the country!  My plan is to try to test out of French in September and then enjoy acquiring Italian.  

Anyone familiar with what the language placement tests entail?  I wonder if they're similar to the European standards.  As context, I recently passed the DELF B2 French proficiency test and have been considering taking the DALF C1.  I wonder if the SAIS placement tests are at a similar level. I also speak Spanish at a beginning-intermediate level, but I'm much stronger in French.  I'm hopeful that knowing two romance languages will help me learn Italian... though it might get a bit confusing, hence why I'd need to test out of French swiftly once I arrive! 

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the language placement tests since I'm a non-native English speaker so the requirements are different for me. But what comes to the classes, I'm really excited about the combo of international econ/trade classes (e.g. Empirical Methods in International Trade), international political economy classes (e.g. Risk in International Political Economy), and European policy classes (e.g. European Economic Integration). It really is the perfect combo for me, very aligned with my interests. Hopefully, if I choose to go to SAIS, I can manage to get the classes I want.

For those attending open houses, would you be open to posting your experiences in the thread at some point? I'm sure there are a lot of people who would benefit from your impressions and insights.

I'd be happy to.

Random question -- for folks attending SAIS Bologna in Year 1, are you receiving the same level of financial support when you return to DC? My understanding was that Bologna had its own "pot" of money, and it would be weird/suck if they didn't provide the similar support when you return.

Yeah, I was offered 20k for the first year and nothing for the second, but told I would be "competitive" for funding so long as I do well enough the first year. I'm actually a little peeved about it, haha. I got the impression Bologna gives out a lot more aid than DC.

Question: is the Bologna preterm online or in person? Sorry if that's been answered...

Just out of curiosity, where is everybody on here from?

Edited by rhodeislander

I'd be happy to.

Yeah, I was offered 20k for the first year and nothing for the second, but told I would be "competitive" for funding so long as I do well enough the first year. I'm actually a little peeved about it, haha. I got the impression Bologna gives out a lot more aid than DC.

Question: is the Bologna preterm online or in person? Sorry if that's been answered...

Just out of curiosity, where is everybody on here from?

Preterm is in Bologna. I'd probably go if I decide to go there (I really want to but Fletcher is enticing me with money, haha). 

I'm from New York, so am having a mini "vacation" for open houses: Tufts on Monday, SIPA Tuesday, and SAIS on Wednesday. 

For the classes, I'm really interested in human rights, as well as Middle Eastern politics. I think I'll try to test out of French, but still take Arabic and wouldn't mind some Italian! 

I'm looking at the core exam requirements (Theories of IR etc.). I'd really like to do as many waiver exams as possible because I don't want "to waste" a course by taking a core class or an econ class that I've already taken previously (or I'm quite familiar with). It seems there is only one date for online waiver exams this summer, last year there were two, so that's slightly disappointing and really means that a lot of the first year classes might have to go to satisfy the IR core and some of the econ requirements.

I love what SAIS has to offer but the curriculum is a little too rigid for my taste with the core IR component - you have to choose two out of only four options? I don't know what would be the best way to handle all these requirements with the limited opportunities for waiver exams, but perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself.

JFactor- if you feel confident in IR, you can opt to audit any of the four core courses or study on your own. You are then responsible for taking the core exam for 2 of the 4. Perhaps that would be a good option for you if you think you could fit in he extra studying during the semester?

I was admitted to SAIS Bologna and it's defintely my top choice - however, I was offered zero funding by SAIS, either year, compared to $19K/year from Fletcher. I don't know how I can justify at least a $38K difference in education expenses. Fletcher is a top tier school with a great community, plus I'd likely get additional second year funding and have a chance to make that year free...

ugh, I really want to be in Italy next year. I want the strong economic and language background provided by SAIS - I need my feet held to the fire, because I normally shy away from econ. I think SAIS really provides its students with the professional tools necessary to get a range of jobs, including outside of traditional fed policy.

I'm considering calling the financial aid office to "negotiate" funding. But from what I've seen on these threads that seems like it might be a lost cause. I just don't understand the huge disparity in funding between these two similarly ranked schools! particularly because SAIS Bologna offers aid to most students, on the basis of both merrit and need - which aligns to Fletcher's aid determination.

Anyone have any insight on any of this? Or advice as to how I might go about negotiating...phone call, email, in person?

Thanks!!

I'd email and get the right person to talk to. I'm actually looking to do the same so would appreciate any insight from anyone as well. I think the key is to be polite and not you know entitled I guess lol, although from what I've heard SAIS is terrible at this sort of thing.

Although, I will say something about the econ point you made. I was also admitted to Fletcher with aid and I'm seriously considering taking it.

Fletcher has an excellent program and the key thing is that its flexible and you can tailor it to your needs. SAIS is a great school for econ but gets a lot of good publicity on here because its the only school that makes Economics mandatory. I think Fletcher and Elliott have just as good of an econ program but Fletcher lets you tailor your course to make econ mandatory for yourself.

http://www.fletcher.tufts.edu/Congratulations/Customizing-your-Curriculum

JFactor- if you feel confident in IR, you can opt to audit any of the four core courses or study on your own. You are then responsible for taking the core exam for 2 of the 4. Perhaps that would be a good option for you if you think you could fit in he extra studying during the semester?

I've been thinking that as well. The thing is that I don't know how much free time I would have because I would love to take a language class (French, which would be great for my career plans) and/or get a RA position. So much to do, so little time. But I guess that just tells you that SAIS has a lot to offer (at least to me).

I'd email and get the right person to talk to. I'm actually looking to do the same so would appreciate any insight from anyone as well. I think the key is to be polite and not you know entitled I guess lol, although from what I've heard SAIS is terrible at this sort of thing.

Although, I will say something about the econ point you made. I was also admitted to Fletcher with aid and I'm seriously considering taking it.

Fletcher has an excellent program and the key thing is that its flexible and you can tailor it to your needs. SAIS is a great school for econ but gets a lot of good publicity on here because its the only school that makes Economics mandatory. I think Fletcher and Elliott have just as good of an econ program but Fletcher lets you tailor your course to make econ mandatory for yourself.

http://www.fletcher.tufts.edu/Congratulations/Customizing-your-Curriculum

I'm in exactly the same boat. I'm torn - love the idea of Bologna but not sure the price difference is worth it. DaniCM, let me know how your talk goes? I might have to try the same.

I was admitted to SAIS Bologna and it's defintely my top choice - however, I was offered zero funding by SAIS, either year, compared to $19K/year from Fletcher. I don't know how I can justify at least a $38K difference in education expenses. Fletcher is a top tier school with a great community, plus I'd likely get additional second year funding and have a chance to make that year free...

ugh, I really want to be in Italy next year. I want the strong economic and language background provided by SAIS - I need my feet held to the fire, because I normally shy away from econ. I think SAIS really provides its students with the professional tools necessary to get a range of jobs, including outside of traditional fed policy.

I'm considering calling the financial aid office to "negotiate" funding. But from what I've seen on these threads that seems like it might be a lost cause. I just don't understand the huge disparity in funding between these two similarly ranked schools! particularly because SAIS Bologna offers aid to most students, on the basis of both merrit and need - which aligns to Fletcher's aid determination.

Anyone have any insight on any of this? Or advice as to how I might go about negotiating...phone call, email, in person?

Thanks!!

Took the words out of my mouth - your reasoning is exactly the same as mine. Italy/quant/language are SAIS's main selling points for me, whereas Fletcher's are price/flexibility.

I would argue that Fletcher would probably be more than 38k cheaper for you, since SAIS's tuition is a little bit more to begin with, and cost of living will be much higher. Fletcher is probably closer to 50k cheaper for you once you crunch all the numbers...

I hate to be a downer, but I don't think SAIS does a second round of funding, as per a poster in another thread who asked. I also hinted strongly at it in an email to Nelson to no avail, haha. It seems what you see if what you get.

Edited by rhodeislander

I'm looking at the core exam requirements (Theories of IR etc.). I'd really like to do as many waiver exams as possible because I don't want "to waste" a course by taking a core class or an econ class that I've already taken previously (or I'm quite familiar with). It seems there is only one date for online waiver exams this summer, last year there were two, so that's slightly disappointing and really means that a lot of the first year classes might have to go to satisfy the IR core and some of the econ requirements.

I love what SAIS has to offer but the curriculum is a little too rigid for my taste with the core IR component - you have to choose two out of only four options? I don't know what would be the best way to handle all these requirements with the limited opportunities for waiver exams, but perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself.

JFactor, from speaking with Erin Cameron at Admissions, I learned that for the core exams, you can either 1) take the class for credit, 2) audit the class and take an exam, or 3) just take the exam (no hands, Ma.) (assuming you know said topic really, really well).  

I'm reposting some similar info here after having discovered the untainted SAIS thread. :)

I'm seriously considering SAIS Bologna, wavering on Georgetown PPI, and tempted by Columbia SIPA because I fucking love living in NYC and can't bear to leave.  None have offered me funding, but I also didn't think I was a very viable candidate to get into any of the 8 schools I applied to (I got seriously lucky!)  

Pros: I agree that SAIS's "academic rigor" is appealing, especially in my position--I have a very general international development degree, 3 years of domestic work experience, and little econ experience.  SAIS would be serious skills and technical training that I could not learn elsewhere.  I also would kill to live to Italy and get trilingual skills!  

Cons:

-Missing out on DC opportunities in Bologna, although the tradeoff seems to be a much more close-knit Bologna student community (with about 17 IDEV kids out of 200 students), smaller classes, better chances faculty interaction, and possibly less competition/distraction from all them type-A+ folks in DC.  They don't advise interning/working during the semester, but Bologna does have some nearby internship opportunities or on-campus research positions.  I attended the career services chat--their touting Bologna internship opportunities as the same as DC students sounds like a bunch of euphemistic thinking.

-Class offerings:  Bologna has a lot more European focused and energy policy courses; the Asia regional courses and Chinese are offered in DC only.  I don't like the idea of having to plan a cookie-cutter schedule to make sure I hit all the marks to graduate.  

-Personal issue--I'm interested in non-profit and NGO management, program development, impact evaluation, etc.  I didn't get the sense that SAIS was necessarily humanitarian or grassroots development focused, and it almost seems that'd I'd come out as a quasi-economist with neoconservative leanings.  (JK?  The 48% private sector jobs result is somewhat telling.)  There's obviously all-star faculty, but the program and class requirements seem to leave little room for flexibility/specialization, or even the idea of aiming for "interdisciplinary" studies.  For instance, you only take 2 regional classes.  

- I also got the feeling that administration was disorganized.  The admissions director I met with couldn't name who the IDEV program coordinator was, and gave me a general email address and phone number to call: "Someone will answer." I also couldn't even get a reply to my "I'd like to visit the DC office" email until a week later.  And forget trying to visit classes--the website is all like "submit your request 10 days before."  Every other school I visited just made it happen overnight.  Not that I'm entitled to it, nor is this a Yelp review, but the other schools have been much more welcoming.

- Not always having the same academic advisor reminded me too much of the huge public school treatment I was churned out of.  I'm not sure if you get a faculty advisor at SAIS? Probably not....

- Second year scholarships and fellowships are few--admissions admitted they don't have much funding to give out and that students who attend view the education as an "investment." 

I can't make it to any admitted student days but would love to hear your feedback!!

Hi all, I just had a great conversation with a friend who is currently doing the SAIS Bologna program.  I was a little confused about the language proficiency exams, so here is one tidbit I wasn't aware of that I thought I'd share here...

To pass the language proficiency requirement you have to pass the four main areas: reading, writing, comprehension, and speaking.  However, if you don't pass one of these areas, you only have to retake that one area, not the entire proficiency exam.  Seems like a small detail, but it gives me more confidence.  Also, if you don't pass the proficiency exam, they still use it to determine which class to place you into in case you want to focus more on that language in the classroom. 

This conversation was so helpful that I'm definitely going to try to talk to other SAIS students/alumni over the next month.  I feel completely re-energized and am now strongly leaning towards SAIS :)

I won't be attending SAIS (DC program) because of the combination of fit and lack of funding.  I considered Bologna, but was kind of put off when I went to an info session last fall and all of the students who had done it made it seem like a cult.  They were overselling it and it almost seemed like I was hearing a woman describe how much she loved her husband even though their three month marriage was clearly in shambles.  I'm not saying that the program is actually bad, but I just got a really weird vibe from the combination of former students talking about it.

I'm being pragmatic about my choice so lack of funding really puts SAIS out of the running for me.  I don't think the name/education will be that much different from other schools, especially if I'm putting decent effort into pursuing my goals.

I won't be attending SAIS (DC program) because of the combination of fit and lack of funding.  I considered Bologna, but was kind of put off when I went to an info session last fall and all of the students who had done it made it seem like a cult.  They were overselling it and it almost seemed like I was hearing a woman describe how much she loved her husband even though their three month marriage was clearly in shambles.  I'm not saying that the program is actually bad, but I just got a really weird vibe from the combination of former students talking about it.

I'm being pragmatic about my choice so lack of funding really puts SAIS out of the running for me.  I don't think the name/education will be that much different from other schools, especially if I'm putting decent effort into pursuing my goals.

You made the right choice. SAIS is simply not worth it, especially if you don't get funding. I was offered half tuition fellowship at SAIS DC but will be turning it down. Unreal how a policy program can charge an annual tuition of $40K.

You made the right choice. SAIS is simply not worth it, especially if you don't get funding. I was offered half tuition fellowship at SAIS DC but will be turning it down. Unreal how a policy program can charge an annual tuition of $40K.

You do realize this thread was started specifically because you ruined the other one, right? You made your choice, now please have the courtesy to not post in here, thank you.

Edited by rhodeislander

I'd hate to hijack this thread, but is anyone else debating between Fletcher and SAIS? I love both programs but cannot decide! My main crux is Economics, I NEED a strong program for that and my career plans. I get SAIS is the better program when considering that but doesnt the fact that Fletcher have the flexible curriculum allowing Economics dominance to be of some factor? This obviously is a massive decision and ONE I ABSOLUTELY NEED TO GET RIGHT but I feel SAIS is given a greater regard for Econ precisely because its mandatory there. Fletcher's program is excellent too, especially with a dedicated business program too.

Am I off base here? Anyone with any thoughts?

Go away. You add nothing to a discussion you've already derailed once. 

I'd hate to hijack this thread, but is anyone else debating between Fletcher and SAIS? I love both programs but cannot decide! My main crux is Economics, I NEED a strong program for that and my career plans. I get SAIS is the better program when considering that but doesnt the fact that Fletcher have the flexible curriculum allowing Economics dominance to be of some factor? This obviously is a massive decision and ONE I ABSOLUTELY NEED TO GET RIGHT but I feel SAIS is given a greater regard for Econ precisely because its mandatory there. Fletcher's program is excellent too, especially with a dedicated business program too.

Am I off base here? Anyone with any thoughts?

I'm deciding between SAIS and Fletcher right now in addition to Chicago CIR, and am truly not sure what to do. I figure the open houses will help a great deal, but those are still a couple week away.

I don't think there's anything to stop you from basically taking the exact same econ classes at Fletcher you would have taken at SAIS. The only difference, I think, is SAIS makes you take them whereas at Fletcher its optional. Now, whether the SAIS name adds a certain bonus when applying to economics jobs, I'm not sure, but my educated guess is that if they look at what courses you took and saw you took the same number of courses as someone from SAIS, it shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't say there's an objectively "right" answer for you. Both are great programs and as long as you do your part I think you'll do just fine with either. No need to drive yourself nuts over it!*

*I should really try to take my own advice...