Los Angeles, CA

Guest ucla

I'm also relocating to LA, from the east coast, and am looking for a roommate, and a place to live.

I've spoken extensively with students in my USC lab group, and they all highly recommended not living near campus, but living elsewhere and taking either the metro or driving in.  I'm now considering Culver City/ Palms, since its along the expo line, however I believe it is a 25 min travel time to USC, which would make for a longer commute.  I haven't ruled out downtown LA / Koreatown since it also has metro access and a faster transit time to USC.  

feel free to message me!  I'm actually flying out to LA tomorrow for a conference, and will be using my spare time to explore the city some more.  

Hi guys, I am looking for a roommate to room with me in the Medici Apartments 2br/2ba starting Fall 2013. My request is that you be a nonsmoker as I am also a nonsmoker, and be responsible for yourself. I have taken a tour of their apartments and it is very nice and convinient. My friends currently live in there and they are very satisfied with it. email me at louispong89@hotmail.com if you are interested.

This is entirely right. Actually reporting the income can get complicated if you don't have a W-2 or 10-99, but yes you are supposed to pay for it. UC Irvine's website explains it in a way that's much more helpful than most university's grad departments' stock answer of "we can't tell you anything, go talk to a tax professional."

Well this is interesting now as the UCI site differentiates between "qualified" fellowships and stipends.

I'm speaking specifically about my MA fellowship, so it seems to be entirely different from stipends (as reimbursement for services) and thus may be exempt.

Anyway, I've signed up for Glacier so I guess they'll be making the decision for me!

Well this is interesting now as the UCI site differentiates between "qualified" fellowships and stipends.

I'm speaking specifically about my MA fellowship, so it seems to be entirely different from stipends (as reimbursement for services) and thus may be exempt.

Anyway, I've signed up for Glacier so I guess they'll be making the decision for me!

Yes, we were only talking about our "not qualified" stipend and not about the fellowship money that pays for our tuition, fees, books, travel etc.(because this part of the fellowship is obviously qualified and also labeled as qualified on the tax form, I9...something).

Srsly, just ask yourself whether all the money goes to tuitions and fees and you have receipts / account statements / whatever there is to prove that. In this case you don't pay taxes. Don't get hung up on what they call it. Think about, what it is used for. As I said before, as soon as you spend the money on anything else except tuition, fees, books, it will be considered taxable income. No matter what the school calls it.

Aaaand I just saw you're from Canada. Are you already receiving this? It might even be that you get taxed before payment. Our international students are. The amount depends on the tax treaty conditions. And yes, it is considered fellowship money and no, it is not considered income but they still pay around 15% on it right away.

But hey, I'm collecting degrees in communication and not accounting...

Edited by Duna

• 4 weeks later...

I am attending UCLA in the fall as a graduate student. I am a female student and moving to LA by myself. I am looking for some place safe and I can afford approximately 1400 to 1500 a month. I need as much info as I can to help me jumpstart my University of California, Los Angeles experience.

1. Does anyone know which teachers are better to take than others? Here are the professors I have to choose from:

SW 230A Theory of Social Welfare with Individuals, Groups and Families
     - Jackson, Aurora
     - Schilling, Robert
     - Ingram B.K.
     - Perks A.J.
SW 240A Theory of Social Welfare in Organizations, Communities and Policy Settings
     - Iglehart, Alfredo
     - Hur, Toby
     - Colunga TM
     - Casco CE

Does anyone have any recommendations from their past experiences with these professors?

2. Living in L.A.

I used the crime mapping app that the city of LA has available on their website. It shows that the Palms area north of Culver City, Brentwood (west of UCLA), and Santa Monica (away from the beach) are areas that have minimal violent, drug, and sex crimes. More towards West Hollywood, it starts showing a rise in violent crimes. Is this an accurate reality?

Additionally, are the apartments near the school (just west of UCLA) tend to be loud at night? Is this a predominately undergraduate area?

How are the Keytone/Mentone apartment areas? Are those University Apartment buildings too far from school with LA traffic (5 miles approximately)? Is it better to stay somewhere else besides the Palms area? If so, where?

Is there anywhere that I should absolutely avoid?

Is it harder to find an apartment if I want to move in towards the end of August and the beginning of September? Should I pre-lease or consider moving in July? I am worried that all the good places will be taken up quick.

I am hoping to get a lot of input from UCLA students or graduates. But, I am also grateful for input from people who have lived in LA and know what it is like. Thank you for your time.

I can afford approximately 1400 to 1500 a month.

...you sure you're a "graduate student?"  B) 

I have generally found that the rental market here is pretty immediate. No shortage of apts, but people tend to post their calls for roommates or available places to rent less than a month in advance. This makes it maddening and impossible to arrange something from afar, before summer fieldwork (anticipating a fall move), or well in advance.

Westside Rentals is a pay-for service that can help you, and helped us (me + 1 roommate) with our last move. I found their search function, way to contact landlords, quick assessment of walkability of a neighborhood (walk score), much easier to navigate than craigslist. Well worth the $60-70.

I doubt you'll receive any advice on GradCafe about specific profs...try looking them up on BruinWalk or ratemyprofessors.

Palms is acceptable. Culver City is alright, though you're increasing your bus time to get to campus. West Hollywood (WeHo) isn't the safest, also farther from campus. I'd avoid Westwood Village, too many undergrads. Santa Monica is actually better towards the beach/1st street, but astronomically expensive. If you go Santa Monica, I'd stay north of I-10. Also, the area just south of Wilshire Blvd, between Overland Ave and Beverlywood Blvd, is also affordable and relatively quiet.

PM me if you want any more details. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone looking for roommate or have a lead on finding housing? Feel free to message me, I'll be an entering PhD student in the school of public health. I am planning to go to LA in August to find a place to move into either Sept 1 or Sept 15th. 

• 7 months later...

Let's start the discussion for 2014!!

Is it impossible to find apartments with 2 parking spaces in LA? Are there alternatives for the second car if we can only find apartments with one space? I'd like to get a 2BR apartment with my SO after my first semester.

Hi PhDerp!  It's totally possible to find apartments with 2 parking spaces in LA.  I used to live in Marina Del Rey, which is about half an hour from USC, and our second parking space was $55/mo.  I think this was unusually low, though, and offset by a higher rent....From what I remember of the apartment hunt, most places charged between $100-$150/mo for an extra space.  

Does anyone know of good running trails around campus (i.e. ones close enough to be used on a daily basis)?  I like to run early in the morning and found this article from 2011 that wasn't particularly encouraging....

Hi all,

I'm currently an undergrad at USC, and will be headed off to Boston for my PhD in a few months. But I'm happy to share my knowledge. 

PhDerp - regarding the second car - at most apartment complexes you can definitely purchase a second space, but they get really pricey. A space in a gated apartment complex usually runs about $200 a month. You can typically purchase a tandem spot that has room for 2 cars for about $300 a month in most buildings. However, there is also A LOT of street parking in Los Angeles. I have never paid for a parking spot for my car. Most of the streets around campus have open street parking (except for Tuesdays from 8-11 am when they do street cleaning). So as long as you can remember to move your car every week at that time, you've got a spot for free!

jzhu - There aren't many trails around campus. Most people choose to run on the campus itself (the loop around campus is about 2 miles). Staying within the gates keeps you safe, and the campus is the best place to run for a nice view. Also, anywhere north of campus is safe to run. A lot of people will run the blocks around fraternity row, and even up to downtown LA. Basically the rule for going anywhere alone off campus is to stick East of Vermont Ave., West of Grand Ave., and North of MLK Blvd. This hold for any time of day.

Hi all,

I'm currently an undergrad at USC, and will be headed off to Boston for my PhD in a few months. But I'm happy to share my knowledge. 

PhDerp - regarding the second car - at most apartment complexes you can definitely purchase a second space, but they get really pricey. A space in a gated apartment complex usually runs about $200 a month. You can typically purchase a tandem spot that has room for 2 cars for about $300 a month in most buildings. However, there is also A LOT of street parking in Los Angeles. I have never paid for a parking spot for my car. Most of the streets around campus have open street parking (except for Tuesdays from 8-11 am when they do street cleaning). So as long as you can remember to move your car every week at that time, you've got a spot for free!

Thank you so much! You too, jzhu!

And rostats, we're switching locales! I'm a UMass undergrad right now. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Huge bump. Surprised this thread hasn't gained more traction!

I'm surprised too.  I'm curious about the UCLA living situation. I'm from the east coast and love the urban core. While I know it's going to be a completely different lifestyle, are there any areas that have an east coast vibe? I was thinking about living in west hollywood, is that an easy trip to campus?

Also, is it possible to bike around the city, or am I just asking for trouble?

Second the question about biking! I see that Santa Monica Blvd has decent looking bike lanes, but will you get run over by a car if you use them?

You don't get run over, but everyone will hate you and it is scary as hell. Then again, I'm new to the biking scene. Just make sure you're visible and you should be fine.

2. Living in L.A.

I used the crime mapping app that the city of LA has available on their website. It shows that the Palms area north of Culver City, Brentwood (west of UCLA), and Santa Monica (away from the beach) are areas that have minimal violent, drug, and sex crimes. More towards West Hollywood, it starts showing a rise in violent crimes. Is this an accurate reality?

Additionally, are the apartments near the school (just west of UCLA) tend to be loud at night? Is this a predominately undergraduate area?

How are the Keytone/Mentone apartment areas? Are those University Apartment buildings too far from school with LA traffic (5 miles approximately)? Is it better to stay somewhere else besides the Palms area? If so, where?

Is there anywhere that I should absolutely avoid?

Is it harder to find an apartment if I want to move in towards the end of August and the beginning of September? Should I pre-lease or consider moving in July? I am worried that all the good places will be taken up quick.

I am hoping to get a lot of input from UCLA students or graduates. But, I am also grateful for input from people who have lived in LA and know what it is like. Thank you for your time.

Sup, fellow Bruin! Well, actually I'm not going here for grad school, but I have been here for almost 5 years.

I can't really speak for how accurate the crime data is, as I have never experienced crime in any capacity (with the exception of hobos in Westwood, which isn't so common but I am prone to attracting them).

The apartments just west of UCLA vary. I know that a lot of people say that it is loud, but I have literally lived in or spent time at five different apartments in the area. What I can tell you is that if you live near the frat houses, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a loud number of Thursday-Sundays during the year. But apartments along Veteran or a couple blocks north (around Gayley/Kelton for example) are actually really quiet. The ones along Veteran have a lovely view of a cemetary, so if you're into that, that's something. The area is generally mostly undergrads, though. I recall one of my friends split a studio on Kelton with someone else with all utilities included for $750 a month (per person), which sounds like it's just within your budget. It was right across from a party house though, so your mileage may vary.

If you really want something quiet, I could also suggest south of Wilshire (there are a bunch of apartments just south of Wilshire Blvd around Westwood Blvd). Their apartments seem to be higher quality for a lower price. With 4 roommates total, we were able to afford a 2 bedroom 2 bath at $600~ a month (per person), so that would mean I would have been able to score my own room at $1200~ a month. Plus, there's a shuttle (bruinbus) that goes from Wilshire/Gayley to campus and back (from ~7:30 AM - 7PM).

I currently live in palms, and the area is fine, and really convenient (grocery stores everywhere!). I take the bus, which is about half an hour there and half an hour back, not including waiting.

You should be able to find an apartment if you want to move in August/September. A lot of the time, if the lease has awkward start/end times, people sublet the apartments over the summer, so moving in early would not be a requirement.

Can't say a lick about grad housing, since I have never been a grad student here. Good luck!

BUMP!

I have some questions about neighborhoods around USC, and the school in general:

- I was born and raised in LA, but stuck to my bubble (west of the 405, north of the 10). I'm woefully unknowledgeable about the neighborhoods surrounding USC (I will be living off campus with my boyfriend). I was thinking of Silverlake, Echo Park, possibly Larchmont Village for possible neighborhoods to live. Also open to Culver City/Playa Vista areas if I take the expo line.

- Having a solitary, quiet study space is important to me. Does anyone recommend having a separate bedroom for study purposes? Does USC give offices to their graduate students? Are the libraries open late?

BUMP!

I have some questions about neighborhoods around USC, and the school in general:

- I was born and raised in LA, but stuck to my bubble (west of the 405, north of the 10). I'm woefully unknowledgeable about the neighborhoods surrounding USC (I will be living off campus with my boyfriend). I was thinking of Silverlake, Echo Park, possibly Larchmont Village for possible neighborhoods to live. Also open to Culver City/Playa Vista areas if I take the expo line.

- Having a solitary, quiet study space is important to me. Does anyone recommend having a separate bedroom for study purposes? Does USC give offices to their graduate students? Are the libraries open late?

Unfortunately, if you leave the college campus and immediate surrounding area, the neighborhoods can be pretty sketchy. Honestly, Culver City seems to me to be the safest of those options.

starofdawn- I live in Los Feliz, just north of Silverlake. It's a great little area, not too far from USC (about a 15 to 20 minute drive depending on traffic), and you can take public transit to school if you want. (Metro Red Line to the Expo Line.) I should note that if you do end up living somewhere with public transit, you can get a semester Metro pass from the Graduate Student Association for $85 a semester. I personally love my neighborhood since it's extremely walkable, and it doesn't tend to have as many students up here. 

I ended up going for a studio, so no separate study space for me. It will depend on your dept. for offices. I know for the History department, we get offices in Shrine auditorium in addition to the TA office. Leavey library is open 24/7 during the school year, with most other libraries open till 10pm. 

On Grad/Family housing:

I've lived in two different grad housing apartments while I was at UCLA, and now that my wife is studying there. Weyburn is very nice, a walk away from campus, good amenities, but very expensive (I ended up paying $1000 for half of a two bedroom). It could be a good option for someone coming out of state or internationally who doesn't know the housing market, but it doesn't work out long term, it's too pricey and people tend to get tired of living in Westwood after a year or so.

Now I live in Keystone & Mentone, the graduate family housing. I think it's better than the family housing on Sepulveda/Sawtelle (I think it's called University Village), which is in an uninteresting neighborhood and is right next to a large and loud freeway, the 405. I'm assuming people like it because there's the school there, and more room for kids (we don't have kids). Keystone & Mentone is in a nice area, lots of food options (Cuban, Brazilian, Indian, Nepalese, Mexican, you name it), is a short walk from downtown Culver City. You can walk to grocery stores, which is unique in Los Angeles. It's much cheaper than Westwood, we pay about $1200 for a good sized one bedroom with a balcony, laundry on every floor, free cable/wifi, and two parking spaces included. It's very quiet (too quiet, I think) and many people have been living here for 3-5 years. There's a free shuttle for apartment dwellers, takes about 25-45 minutes to campus, depending on traffic. Biking is doable (message me if you want to know a hill-free bike route to campus). Plus, you can bike down Venice and be on the beach in a few minutes.

Venice Barry seems nice, I think it's a little older than our apartments, it has less to walk to, but still notable things (a farmer's market on Sundays, a bicycle co-op, Dave Egger's Time Travel Mart). It does have a pool, which I'm a little jealous about.

Graduate students often live near campus in the Westwood area, and often head down south for cheaper rents and different communities (not only to avoid all the undergraduates - Westwood Village is a pretty stagnant community, and many large storefronts have been vacant for years). It's the best direction to relocate to: Bel Air, Beverly Hills, and Brentwood don't exactly have cheaper rents, although I know some people who live on the border of Beverly Hills and West Hollywood, with a combination of things to do and less crime.

Unfortunately, if you leave the college campus and immediate surrounding area, the neighborhoods can be pretty sketchy. Honestly, Culver City seems to me to be the safest of those options.

Safer than Larchmont Village?

starofdawn- I live in Los Feliz, just north of Silverlake. It's a great little area, not too far from USC (about a 15 to 20 minute drive depending on traffic), and you can take public transit to school if you want. (Metro Red Line to the Expo Line.) I should note that if you do end up living somewhere with public transit, you can get a semester Metro pass from the Graduate Student Association for $85 a semester. I personally love my neighborhood since it's extremely walkable, and it doesn't tend to have as many students up here. 

I ended up going for a studio, so no separate study space for me. It will depend on your dept. for offices. I know for the History department, we get offices in Shrine auditorium in addition to the TA office. Leavey library is open 24/7 during the school year, with most other libraries open till 10pm. 

Thank you - I was considering Los Feliz as well. It seems like those areas are affordable, walkable, close to USC and relatively safe. Also excited to look into public transit as well. Which streets have bars/cafes/shops/night life?

I'm only considering a separate bedroom/junior bedroom because my boyfriend will not be a student, and I cannot study with a TV in the room. Good to know there is a 24/7 library for late-night studying. Will also ask USC about offices/storage spaces.

This is all very interesting. My family actually lives in the area, but of course, I'm trying not to entertain the idea of moving back with them... But seeing as how much money I could save, I'm wondering whether that isn't that bad of an option..

They live in the same area as some of the further graduate student housing developments... 

But I always thought it would be best to live as close to campus as possible... Am I wrong to think this? I was thinking Weyburn only b/c of it's proximity to campus and it's furnishings (since I have none). Maybe I could live there for a year and move back home?

Edited by rync

Thank you - I was considering Los Feliz as well. It seems like those areas are affordable, walkable, close to USC and relatively safe. Also excited to look into public transit as well. Which streets have bars/cafes/shops/night life?

I'm only considering a separate bedroom/junior bedroom because my boyfriend will not be a student, and I cannot study with a TV in the room. Good to know there is a 24/7 library for late-night studying. Will also ask USC about offices/storage spaces.

In Los Feliz you have a ton of restaurants, cafes, and bars on Hillhurst and Vermont just above Hollywood blvd. I've been here for about 7 months now and have only hit a fraction of the restaurants. Plenty to do right here without having to worry about driving or a cab. Plus there are a couple vintage movie theaters in the area, a bookstore, theatre, and tons of little shops. Finding a cheap place right in Los Feliz village can be tough; I got pretty lucky with mine. But keep an eye out and you can get lucky. I have another friend who didnt' luck out, and ended up living a few blocks south, just below Sunset.