History Graduate Program Funding Package Spreadsheet

getitlow

To all admits,

If you don't mind disclosing the funding packages you received from programs that admitted you, please take a brief moment to fill in the spreadsheet in the link below. I have been looking at the spreadsheet from the English, Rhetoric and Composition thread to get a very general idea of how generous the schools are, but realizing that what I get is not department-specific information, I figure this should help a lot for next year or (hopefully) future applicants. So thank you the ERC thread for the initiative !

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10XIYhIw4fCbUend2WkA3iujfftu9TrXwR-YKcgr3JKo/edit#gid=693576939

Edited by telkanuru
New link

This is incredibly useful information for those such as me who are hopelessly pedantic when it comes to future planning.

Thank you to those who have contributed thus far! Hopefully everyone from all fields will contribute to help those of us applying for the next cycle!

Great idea, getitlow!

A somewhat unrelated question:

How are TAships decided? Are they given to all entering graduate students as part of funding offers, only given to those who the faculty feel would excel as teachers/graders, or are they given to those who have to "work for" their funding?

Thanks for stating this!

Does anyone know- for UCLA, is the listed financial package based on the new endowment they just received? I was told that because of a very large sum of money they were given they're now going to be able to offer very different financial packages (for history PhDs), so I'm curious if that is starting Fall 2013 or Fall 2014.

Edited by playingivory

glad someone jumped on this, well done

one thing i'd love to know is whether people are getting this funding coming into the program with a BA or an MA, as i think that plays into funding offers a bit

I would suggest adding a column for Cost of Living 100% Composite Index. 100.0 is average for the U.S. This would assist in evaluating stipends vis a vis cost of living. Here is the webpage: http://www.infoplease.com/business/economy/cost-living-index-us-cities.html Maybe a small column right to the left of the funding column?

Not really envious since I think the cost of living in Ithaca would put me in at least an equal financial situation, just surprised that a state university that's not known as being quite as pumped up financially by its state as, say, UC Berkeley or Michigan or UVA would have the highest graduate stipend in history in the country (that we know of). 

Edited by czesc

glad someone jumped on this, well done

one thing i'd love to know is whether people are getting this funding coming into the program with a BA or an MA, as i think that plays into funding offers a bit

Good suggestion. I will add an "entering degree" column to this and thanks wicked_problem for the link! I think to simplify the format a little bit, people can totally get access to the link and check it out by themselves !

Wow, Rutgers! Who knew?

I know! But also just for first year, although the following years ain't bad (esp. for a public institution). I think the actual "winner" is the USC fellowship (though you're probably going to need that in LA).

I would suggest adding a column for Cost of Living 100% Composite Index. 100.0 is average for the U.S. This would assist in evaluating stipends vis a vis cost of living. Here is the webpage: http://www.infoplease.com/business/economy/cost-living-index-us-cities.html Maybe a small column right to the left of the funding column?

Done!

As someone from LA and very familiar with the schools in this area, I am not surprised at all. That school is loaded. The tuition for undergrads is over 50K per year. Hence why is the University of Spoiled Children. Can you tell I am a UCLA fan?

As someone from LA and very familiar with the schools in this area, I am not surprised at all. That school is loaded. The tuition for undergrads is over 50K per year. Hence why is the University of Spoiled Children. Can you tell I am a UCLA fan?

Seriously. When I visited campus, I was in shock how well off financially the school is.  The History department is actually hiring new faculty! Coming from a public university in financial straits right now, it's a welcome change.  (And my aunt is already making the "University of Spoiled Children" joke with me any time I mention my PhD :P)

IDK, most universities seem to be charging about that these days, at least from what I've seen. It's insane.

University of Spoiled Children. L-O-L. I've never heard that before. I've actually never been to the USC campus - my aunt told me the campus is in a shady area, is that true (she's also a former Bruin, so she may be a bit biased? haha)

Also- can we make sticky threads in this forum? If so, I move to keep this thread at the top of the list indefinitely- that spreadsheet will be invaluable for quite some time, especially as it continuously gets updated. Just my thoughts!

The amount of money at that school is downright crazy. Their alumni all tend to be very wealthy and loyal to the school. Kind of like Princeton in that sense. It is in an awful neighborhood. I lived in the South Bronx for three years and never felt unsafe. However, the area around USC always gives me the creeps. 

UCLA says USC pretends to be something really special, in reality, it really isn't. I think that was true back in the day, but now it is a very good school. Even though UCLA is higher ranked, I would much rather go to USC, but students from my school can't seem to get into their program. 

Growing up in LA near the school, we called USC the University of South Central. When I moved from LA I couldn't believe that USC was a prestigious school because that whole part of LA is just not what you think such a university would be located in. 

Many prestigious schools are located in not great neighborhoods.  Some of the bordering neighborhoods to Penn's campus are pretty sketchy (Philly tends to have micro neighborhoods so a few blocks may be dangerous right next to perfectly fine places).  Columbia used to be legendary for it's neighborhood in New York but the gentrifcation of Harlam may have changed that...

Many prestigious schools are located in not great neighborhoods.  Some of the bordering neighborhoods to Penn's campus are pretty sketchy (Philly tends to have micro neighborhoods so a few blocks may be dangerous right next to perfectly fine places).  Columbia used to be legendary for it's neighborhood in New York but the gentrifcation of Harlam may have changed that...

Prime example: Temple.  It's a great school, but I'm scared to walk around North Philly during daylight hours.  And a friend of mine got mugged when we were walking out of trolley stop on Penn's campus when we were in high school.  If you have street smarts and you're aware of your surroundings, usually you're fine, but I'm certainly not planning on living in the neighborhood around USC.