History Graduate Program Funding Package Spreadsheet

getitlow

The area around USC is really not that bad anymore. My father works there so I'm in the area when I visit, and I do remember the 90s, when it was far worse. I really think these are stereotypes left over decades ago (same with the old spoiled children joke, but whatever). Directly next to it -- totally fine. You bet that an expensive private school with a lingering reputation for being in a bad neighborhood is heavily patrolling the area. Some of my best friends out there (who don't attend USC) live about a mile or two west of the campus on West Adams in a beautiful bungalow. And two are petite ladies who frequently take their dog out on neighborhood walks, and enjoy it there, so yeah.

Lots of places in LA have some seriously weird vibes if you're walking around on foot though, which is why I love my East Coast cities.

Er, EDIT: Some East Coast cities. Walking around Wilmington, Del. was like being in a zombie movie.

Edited by lafayette

Many prestigious schools are located in not great neighborhoods.  Some of the bordering neighborhoods to Penn's campus are pretty sketchy (Philly tends to have micro neighborhoods so a few blocks may be dangerous right next to perfectly fine places).  Columbia used to be legendary for it's neighborhood in New York but the gentrifcation of Harlam may have changed that...

I LOVE the neighbourhood Columbia is in. I don't think Morningside Heights is bad at all, and they're a heartbeat from being in the Upper West Side, my fav NYC neighbourhood. In all fairness, I've never wandered more than 7 or 8 blocks north of the campus by foot though, so perhaps its more sketchy up there?

As for here or anywhere anywhere else, though, I'm from Detroit, so really, not many "bad neighbourhoods" freak me out. You mostly just have to pay attention.

I LOVE the neighbourhood Columbia is in. I don't think Morningside Heights is bad at all, and they're a heartbeat from being in the Upper West Side, my fav NYC neighbourhood. In all fairness, I've never wandered more than 7 or 8 blocks north of the campus by foot though, so perhaps its more sketchy up there?

As for here or anywhere anywhere else, though, I'm from Detroit, so really, not many "bad neighbourhoods" freak me out. You mostly just have to pay attention.

Yeah, Harlem. To the north and east. South of Columbia is some fancy pants 'hoods. But yeah, Harlem is sketch to some, not so to others. Can definitely be somewhat rough. Plus, you know, sometimes people don't love gentrifiers. For this reason I've particularly avoided Harlem to live in: the gentrification is even more problematic than usual, I feel. But eh.

Scariest thing that's happened to me in the city happened in Harlem; scariest thing that happened to my friend in teh city happened in Park Slope, a thoroughly gentrified and mostly family-friendly hood. As it goes in really any city.

Edited by lafayette

I used to work at Columbia back as an archivist. These days Morningside Heights is more of an extension of the Upper West Side. It used to be far worse till Columbia bought everything around it and gentrified the community. Kind of sad, actually. They still don't do enough for the Harlem community. A random fun fact - Columbia is the number one land owner in all of New York City. They love to pretend they are poor, but, in reality, they are super rich. 

In reviewing all these stats, I think the most important thing is health insurance. I've had to pay my own health insurance for the past couple of years and it is horrible. I also feel that if I am going to do all that work for the university (and, yes, I do think of it being more an employee situation than a student), they can at least pay for my medical insurance. Luckily, it seems that most universities feel this way too. 

In reviewing all these stats, I think the most important thing is health insurance. I've had to pay my own health insurance for the past couple of years and it is horrible. I also feel that if I am going to do all that work for the university (and, yes, I do think of it being more an employee situation than a student), they can at least pay for my medical insurance. Luckily, it seems that most universities feel this way too. 

Agreed. Nonetheless, I am surprised of what a "luxury" dental health is to you North Americans. Here, the health insurance includes dental plan, it is not something separate. Of course, the benefits are according to your chosen plan. I currently have an excellent insurance, but not premium. I am worried about this now that I move to the US because, expensive as it is, I think I am going to enroll in a dental plan. I cannot afford disregarding my mouth... :(      (any advice on this? :) PM me!!! :D

I've really taken health insurance for granted since I've been living in countries with universal health care for the last three years. (Japan and now Canada.) 

• 10 months later...

I just received my funding offer from UCLA.  Can someone explain why the TAship salary for years 2 and 3 is less than the first year stipend, and then the stipend for years 4 and 5 goes back to the amount given in year 1?  

Edited by awells27

Here is what tulane offers:

From the website:

What kind of financial support does the History program offer?
All Ph.D. students accepted in the program are funded through a university stipend or outside funding sources. The School of Liberal Arts offers tuition waivers, in addition to a stipend, for the 2012-2013 academic year is $21,947. The stipend is paid over a twelve month period. Assuming satisfactory progress, Ph.D. students receive 5 years of stipend support.

http://history.tulane.edu/web/default.asp?id=FaqGraduateProgram

A little more detail based on my experience, and what I understand people come in under now (in other words, I know this is what it is, but I am sorry if I am wrong).  You get $1000 toward health insurance if you use the Tulane insurance which costs approximately 2000$.  Year 2 students T. A. for both semesters.  Year 3 teach a survey course the first semester (you create you syllabus, etc.), and the 2nd semester they teach a self designed mid-level seminar.  Years 1, 4, and 5 are funded with no service required.

I just received my funding offer from UCLA.  Can someone explain why the TAship salary for years 2 and 3 is less than the first year stipend, and then the stipend for years 4 and 5 goes back to the amount given in year 1?  

I can. TA salaries at UC schools are set school-wide, not field or department wide.

Edited by remenis

• 10 months later...

Playingivory - yes...the money is coming from that endowment. UCLA never offered packages that good until this year. 

That's good to know. I actually had spoken a few years back with the History chair who at the time had told me that they only offer full aid to the top person in each subfield, and then two others per subfield that are unfunded for the first year (with the option for TAships). I didn't even think of applying this year because the California State Schools  in general seemed to be having financial issues (my mother is a professor at CSU Pomona and Western). Happy that my alma mater is dishing out more money to its acceptees. It will hopefully attract scholars who would have taken up a better financial offer elsewhere (i.e. U$C). 

Edited by Aubstopper

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I thought Brandeis looked great, even with the prof I desperately dreamed of working with retiring (David Hackett Fischer). They were so friendly and helpful during the applications process that it makes the current months of silence on their end all the more frustrating.

Yeah, I thought Brandeis looked great, even with the prof I desperately dreamed of working with retiring (David Hackett Fischer). They were so friendly and helpful during the applications process that it makes the current months of silence on their end all the more frustrating.

Oh, man, I would love to meet DHF. So many questions! Like, "Why is the final part of Historians' Fallacies so weirdly racist and why haven't you revised it?"