History Graduate Program Funding Package Spreadsheet

getitlow

HistoryGypsy, I know what you mean. I had such wonderful correspondence with both the DGS and a professor he put me in touch with who studies many of the same things I'm interested.  As far as fit goes, Brandeis may be number 2 or 3 on my list.  The POI is even designing a course on immigration for next semester!

A somewhat unrelated question:

How are TAships decided? Are they given to all entering graduate students as part of funding offers, only given to those who the faculty feel would excel as teachers/graders, or are they given to those who have to "work for" their funding?

This is an old question, but one I was wondering about as well... Can anyone shed some light on this?

This is an old question, but one I was wondering about as well... Can anyone shed some light on this?

I'm not an expert but some schools only fund through TAships so all students get that; some schools only fund through fellowships so all students get that.  Other schools fund through a combination with TAships making up the majority of the student funding and fellowships being reserved for exceptional students.  I don't know of a single program where TAships are given only to students with good teaching potential.  This is US-centric info, of course. 

In the case of my program, basically everyone is funded through teaching assistantships. The unique thing we have though, is that everyone has to study abroad for a year at another university, and during that time you're paid by fellowship rather than teaching assistantship; in retrospect, I would've loved to have taught in Germany, as long as it would've been auf Englisch, but.

Basically, I'd agree with the above poster; most places are going to either fund through TAships and some are going to fund through fellowships, with some places in the former category having some competitive fellowships for their students. Our department doesn't have any sort of competitive fellowships, so aside from the year of fellowship everyone gets by default, any fellowship funding you get is on your own. There's a big push once you get to be ABD to start applying for external research/writing fellowships, so thankfully I hit that lottery.

If I were you, I'd just comb through the graduate student page/list/whatever of the departments I was applying to and see if they explain how they generally fund their students; some places will list the courses for which their grad students are TAs or something like that.

I combed through the department page and it said funding is provided by letter to incoming students through either scholarships or t.a. positions. 

Thank you Chiqui74 and kotov for your responses. 

To all admits,

If you don't mind disclosing the funding packages you received from programs that admitted you, please take a brief moment to fill in the spreadsheet in the link below. I have been looking at the spreadsheet from the English, Rhetoric and Composition thread to get a very general idea of how generous the schools are, but realizing that what I get is not department-specific information, I figure this should help a lot for next year or (hopefully) future applicants. So thank you the ERC thread for the initiative !

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQb-LRJLpvYdHM3VE1QaHJsS2dQZVRuTDF1eHgwNlE#gid=0

This is great!

What does mean #3 at the top?

Yale, Harvard, Princeton and Stanford give crazy stipends. How surprising. <_<

Edited by Cpt Jo

This is great!

What does mean #3 at the top?

Yale, Harvard, Princeton and Stanford give crazy stipends. How surprising. <_<

Actually, Palo Alto, Cambridge, and Princeton are pretty expensive places to live.... $26K for Palo Alto is barely livable.  As my aunt who lives there says, "Don't move here unless you're already making good money just to pay rent."

Actually, Palo Alto, Cambridge, and Princeton are pretty expensive places to live.... $26K for Palo Alto is barely livable.  As my aunt who lives there says, "Don't move here unless you're already making good money just to pay rent."

Not New Haven then? :P

A one bedroom in the Palo Alto area easily runs for over $1000/month.

...That's expensive? He asks from his 400 sq. ft. apartment without a dishwasher which costs over $1500  :ph34r:

Edited by telkanuru

• 4 weeks later...

Yale's stipend is about 30,000 now as the standard minimum funding package for all PhD students in the Graduate School, and as of this year they also offer a guaranteed 6th year of funding (Teaching Fellowship) for students in good standing (essentially, if your advisor/DGS signs). Hopefully the 6th year (which of course was already relatively common practice in many places, but not guaranteed) will become more common.

• 11 months later...
12 hours ago, Chiqui74 said:

I'm just going to bump this since it isn't a sticky.

This thread really should be stickied. I had seen it a few years ago and forgot it. If it was a sticky I think it would be easier for applicants to continuously add data every year.

I though I put my offer in there from OSU last year. TA-ship, 4 years (MA degree), $17k, does not include health insurance. The fellowship package is better.

2 hours ago, telkanuru said:

I though I put my offer in there from OSU last year. TA-ship, 4 years (MA degree), $17k, does not include health insurance. The fellowship package is better.

Are you sure it does not include health insurance? I take medication daily and that is a huge consideration for me.

Their 2011-12 GTA insurance brochure, the most recent I could find, states that they give an 85% subsidy.

Edited by Septerra

85% health insurance is covered and you can elect to pay the rest.  Generally you'll pay $45/month for comprehensive student health insurance.  Feel free to PM me with more details on OSU!!! 

I'd say all offers. Adding information about funding is not really about telling people which offer you've accepted; the data is good for applicants to get a sense of current offers at a variety of places as well as changes over time. 

• 3 weeks later...

Brown's up to 27k, full medical and dental, and word on the streets is that they'll be unveiling guaranteed 6 year funding sometime in the next 6 to 18 months. Life is good here in the PVD. 

Yowch are the Ivies high. Public university funding

Crowson_-_Sad_Face.png

ETA It's awesome for people who get that! It's just a comparison thing...I feel like my likely choice's stipend is fine/good, and then I think too much about how much better it could be. But that's great that some humanities PhDs are being paid properly!

Edited by knp
you see where I put the ETA in my post yes that's the reason