Friend's Grad School Rejection

IRdreams

I am not a fan of whiskey, so I usually stick to vodka or gin. BUT if you're looking for endurance (i.e. a looong night out without blacking out), I'd say something like Coors Light. Go ahead and judge, but you can pretty safely drink this for hours on end without passing that point of ickiness. (Unless you hate cheap beer. In that case, ignore this advice.)

Something like Long Islands are good for getting the job done if the friend is not in to alcohol.

If they are, and they like whiskey/any derivatives, go with that. I have to agree with Jameson--not a fan of the genre, but it's a pretty solid choice.

for the frugal, if you plan on going out: pregaming is KEY. I cannot understate its importance.

Avoid tequila. 99.1% of bad alcohol-related stories (that I've heard) seem to involve tequila. I have not actually done that stats on this, so I can't give you any uncertainty on that number.

Anything from The Balvenie. 

My personal favorite is the 17-year-old Doublewood, single-malt scotch.  Aged in two different oak barrels.  Never fails to chase my blues away!

Edit:  Repeat after me: "Tequila is not my friend!"

Edited by Panama Slim

That's nice of you to commiserate. 

Being a craft/micro brew beer gal myself, there's a pub in the downtown here, with small samples of their various microbrews from the taps. Each few ounce glass is a dollar, and it's fun to customize your palette. Choosing different brews from the tap is not just fun in itself, it's at least a tad distracting from real-world realities...

So I heartily recommend: a local brewery/pub!

Oh and, you can usually order some snacks.

Cheers!

Thanks all for the advice. I'm going for "F-em. Their loss" with the drink. My usually drink of choice is tequilla but I feel that conveys more of a just "F-em" message and misses the latter part of the sentiment. If my brokeass status didn't inhibit them, I'd go four horsemen all the way.

Edited by IRdreams

For me, at least, the phrase "one tequila, two tequila, three tequila floor" is accurate. Oddly enough I don't black out, but rather end up falling asleep for approximately thirty minutes and then waking up bright eyed and bushy tailed. It's happened like clockwork on multiple occasions.

Anywho, tequila may not be the best choice for prolonged commiseration :).

Edited by biscuits

Go to Buffalo Wild Wings. Order some good food, and enjoy your time there drinking good beer. You can do that anywhere really, and your friend can proceed to get drunk and be distracted by all that's going on at the same time. 

For me, at least, the phrase "one tequila, two tequila, three tequila floor" is accurate. Oddly enough I don't black out, but rather end up falling asleep for approximately thirty minutes and then waking up bright eyed and bushy tailed. It's happened like clockwork on multiple occasions.

Anywho, tequila may not be the best choice for prolonged commiseration :).

Im from Mexico so I will stick to Mezcal (same cactus as tequila, lots more alcohol) in here tequila makes you cry, mezcal makes you cheerful, it worked to make a friend happy when she got rejected from all her PhDs. So get some mezcal, cut some oranges and smile!