HGSE Fall 2014

Edupunk

I'd definitely vote against a Redbull. Concentration was tough, to be sure, but I think a shot of caffeine won't help unless you're really used to waking yourself up that way. I ate a powerbar type thing. It helped a lot.

Anyway, there was a virtual session for IEP yesterday and they seemed to really brush off the GRE scores, but they said pay close attention to the AWA section and to try to aim for at least a 3.5 or 4. I think this is probably mostly to prove a level of English competency, as I'd say a 3.5 isn't exactly high for a school like Harvard.

Master's GRE scores for the most recent class were 159 verbal, 154 quant. I think anything around there is fine.

Good luck on your test!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm looking at the IEP course. I'm from India, I have an integrated BS-MS in Biology (GPA 8.0 on 10) from one of the top new science institutes in the country. My GRE scores are 660 verbal, 760 quant 4.5 AWA. I've worked for two years in an educational aids start-up and I have teaching and teacher training experience. 

Does this look like a profile that might make it into the IEP course?

• 2 weeks later...

My question is whehter anyone recommends: to red bull or to not red bull before the GRE or during the 10 minute break?

I would just stick with a granola bar and water, but that's just me! It depends on what you are used to really. If I downed a red bull while already being a little amped up due to the test taking, who knows what would happen. I just tried to stay hydrated and my scores went well!

Good luck!

I'm glad this thread exists! I'm also applying to HGSE, specifically their TIE program. 

I have my B.A. in Broadcast and Digital Journalism (double minored in digital studies and interactive media/culture of new technologies) from University of Southern California. I quickly realized I wasn't passionate about journalism anymore, and since I had been volunteering at high schools, I decided to try out teaching through Teach For America. 

I'm currently in my third year of teaching at a Title I elementary school. I recently received a masters in Urban Education with a concentration in Policy and Administration through Loyola Marymount University.

However, my ultimate goal is education technology. Specifically, I want to integrate more technology in low-income schools, either as a leader in the district or through a non-profit organization, where I can develop multimedia curriculum and train teachers in using technology effectively. I would also like to create my own ed tech products. I read through the TIE curriculum and course descriptions and was incredibly excited to see similar themes. 

I recently took the GRE...155 Verbal, 151 Quant...not sure of my writing, yet. I will be taking it again in December, hopefully increasing to at least 160. My undergrad GPA was 3.43, and my grad GPA was 3.97.

Do any of you applying notice the "Interest in Graduate Study" section in the application? Does anybody know what the purpose of this is -- do I have to really have to report other schools I'm applying to, and does it have a bearing on the application at all? Or is it simply a feedback for their recruiting processes?

Thanks in adv.!

Do any of you applying notice the "Interest in Graduate Study" section in the application? Does anybody know what the purpose of this is -- do I have to really have to report other schools I'm applying to, and does it have a bearing on the application at all? Or is it simply a feedback for their recruiting processes?

Thanks in adv.!

I imagine it's simply for their own feedback/recruiting purposes. I don't think it would have any bearing on your application.

Also, curious as to whether anyone knows this: approximately how many people apply to each program? I'm curious to know how many applicants the TIE program gets.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied this year, but don't feel like I have done enough professionally yet to have a chance. I wanted to apply to a variety of programs but I can't go without full funding and I decided a PhD just isn't for me since I don't want to work in academia. I hate waiting so long now, especially since I have no plan b right now!

I haven't submitted yet! Haha, it's my SOP. I keep tweaking it and trying to make it perfect. I think at some point I should just hit submit.

I'm a little worried, too, since only 1 of my LORs has been submitted. I guess there's still some time. I'll probably freak out next week. XD

so in the HGSE online application they ask you to list the other schools/programs you are applying to.... should I fill this in or leave it blank? would it hurt my chances? what impression does it make if I list other schools I am interested in, would they feel like I dont want HGSE enough? 

so in the HGSE online application they ask you to list the other schools/programs you are applying to.... should I fill this in or leave it blank? would it hurt my chances? what impression does it make if I list other schools I am interested in, would they feel like I dont want HGSE enough? 

I would say they're probably trying to match. They likely want to see if your research interests are legitimate matches or if you're applying to Harvard for the sake of Harvard. Harvard isn't student affairsy so if they see you're applying to a bunch of student affairsy practitioner-based programs, they may question your fit to their program. If they see you're applying to Harvard's peer programs, they may see you as fitting in with the program. 

Or maybe they're seeing if you value prestige. (Stanford, Vanderbilt, Harvard, Columbia vs Bowling Green State, Miss St., Idaho Christian University). Who knows, it's Harvard. -shrugs-

Edited by RedPill

Sorry if this has already been covered in previous threads or is already more than obvious, but does anybody know whether checking "yes" to being considered for the merit-based / need-based grants affects admission decisions in any way?

Thanks!

Sorry if this has already been covered in previous threads or is already more than obvious, but does anybody know whether checking "yes" to being considered for the merit-based / need-based grants affects admission decisions in any way?

Thanks!

I attended one of the HGSE virtual info sessions and they said checking yes will not affect admissions. Good luck!

Anybody here applying to Ed.M. HDP?