HGSE Fall 2014

Edupunk

I really wish at least one person invited for an interview would weigh in on this forum or the results page. :-) This is a rough wait, even though I can certainly guess my personal outcome. It just feels weird to me that not one Ed. LD applicant has posted that they were invited for an interview...

Well, they only give interviews to 50 people in the whole world.  So... statistically speaking...

NO.  We will all get interviews because we're fabulous.

I keep thinking maybe they'll call the local folks last -- I live near Cambridge.  Maybe.

I'm an unusual candidate and they claim to want diversity so they HAVE to want to interview me.  Right? 

Plus, I'm a HGSE alum dammit.  They're the reason I'm so in debt already.  :)

They dont release admit rates but when I asked the admissions director last year if it was around 40-50%, she confirmed that was about right but it changes every year and from program to program. I might accept a number as low as 30%, but the 16% presented above sounds low to me.

I thought the admit rate was more like 40-45% for edm?

I don't think HGSE releases admit rate, do they?...

I found this website that has admit percentages for graduate schools. I'm not sure how completely reliable it is, but I found it interesting! You can also look at the admissions statistics specifically for masters programs or doctoral programs.

http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/harvard-university-graduate-school-of-education-000_10030486.aspx

Edited by HigherEd Grad

I got rejected to be a teaching resident, to get my license in teaching, even though I have been an uncertified teacher for 6 years. So it is utterly hopeless for me to get into a top school for school leadership. Apparently I am unfit to do what I already do!

I got rejected to be a teaching resident, to get my license in teaching, even though I have been an uncertified teacher for 6 years. So it is utterly hopeless for me to get into a top school for school leadership. Apparently I am unfit to do what I already do!

There there. Let's not despair. There is hope.

I think this thread is about to explode (or is exploding) in popularity. A few thoughts. 

SoCalGuy, on 12 Feb 2014 - 3:50 PM, said:

snapback.png

phil413, on 12 Feb 2014 - 4:23 PM, said:snapback.png

I found this website that has admit percentages for graduate schools. I'm not sure how completely reliable it is, but I found it interesting! You can also look at the admissions statistics specifically for masters programs or doctoral programs.

That seems to jive with the acceptance rates I saw on US News (on their pay side). The number is skewed lower because PhD/EdLD has an acceptance rate of 5-10% (all of whom are most certainly those anxiously waiting in this thread!). 16% for EdM is far too low. 35-45 seems right. 

Also

Decisions are expected within two weeks.

Historically (ie results page) EdM decisions are early March, so it looks like at least three more weeks of winter for us!

Also

Historically (ie results page) EdM decisions are early March, so it looks like at least three more weeks of winter for us!

I agree! I'm guessing we'll get notifications around March 7th... Is it too early to start counting down?

guys please update the results search. I get very depressed every time I put HGSE in there and see the poor Stanford guy's rejection notice as the last one...(what was up with THAT anyway).

Haha, yes please update the results search!

Congrats all! Exciting.

I applied to the Ed.L.D. program but was not invited for an interview. Although it may sound like "sour grapes," I'm genuinely not upset because I all but asked to be rejected. How is that, you ask? Well, my short essay, personal statement, and professional experience spoke to strengthening public education as a democratic institution rather than dismantling it and selling it off to the private sector. I supported collective bargaining and I opposed high stakes testing. In short, I explicitly rejected the corporate reform policies that many of the program's partners have so often championed.

So, whether you were accepted or rejected, please don't kid yourself about this program. This program costs a lot of money and if you're not paying for it then the money has to come from somewhere.

Of course, I could be dead wrong--but I've lived long enough to know that there's no such thing as a free lunch. That being said, I would love to hear from somebody with a different perspective.

I am in favor of some of these things, but not all of them. The one partner I do not approve of is TFA. It is my personal opinion that TFA is not the way to do alternative teacher licensing. People have a lot of varied opinions here though.

I have applied for PhD EPPE. I see one of the admits on results page for EPPE. May I know if that person had interview as well?

I emailed them and they said my application is yet under review.

There are around 4 admits here declared. So, considering at least 25% people use GradCafe and post here, 16 seats out of 25 are gone!

Oh!!!!!!!!

I maybe should keep this under wraps but I was told yesterday that the intended postmark date for hard copy acceptance letters is 2/20 (next Thursday). I can't confirm, but I would presume this is also the date that reject notices will be posted. Almost to the end guys :) 

Also I've heard from two solid sources that EdLD interviews are still going on, so I wouldn't confound the wrapping up of PhD stuff with EdLD stuff wrapping up as well - it sounds like they may have intentionally staggered them by a couple weeks. 

Edited by Sunshinegrl456