Edinboro Online Program

IAsw

I was recently accepted into Edinboro's online advanced standing MSW and could not find any reviews online. I am curious if anyone has heard about this program, how many people it accepts, and/or if anyone has opinions about online MSWs.

I am having a tough time in deciding on whether or not to apply at a face-to-face program later on, or continue my education now. I just turned 22 with a year of experience counseling youth.

Any suggestions or thoughts? Has anyone else been accepted and considering Edinboro?

Much appreciated.

I'm considering Edinboro (online) and was accepted a few weeks ago.  It is a CSWE-accredited program.  The school is located in the same state I'm in and bears a modest reputation.  I would not call the admissions process terribly competitive.  If you have the basic stats (GPA, etc) you can get in.  

Online MSWs receive mixed reviews, though I find those reviews come from people who have rarely or never engaged in an online curriculum that is rigorous.  Edinboro uses Desire 2 Learn as their learning platform, which is a user-friendly platform (I used it for three years in my current program) but I don't find it to be terribly robust.  Thus, I would expect the online component of EU's MSW to lack some multimedia depth, in contrast to, say, USC, which certainly maximizes the custom platform.

If you are seeking an online degree because you feel it will be easier, you will be very disappointed.  I have worked harder in my undergraduate online program than many of my in-seat counterparts. Where it is possible to drive to a class and daydream for an hour or so, this is not the case in an online environment.  What you lack in face-to-face contact, you will make up for with more reading, more writing, more discussion, and more papers.  

CSWE has approved a limited number of online MSWs at present.  If you trust in their criteria, you must assume that these online programs adhere to the same standards as their bricks-and-mortar counterparts.  Social work is a people profession, and you will interact with people online as well.  All of the online programs require in person field placement.  At EU, you will be responsible for finding your own field placement and then working with the field office to have it approved, etc.  If you prefer to have your school locate a suitable placement, programs like Boston University Online and USC will do that.  Field will be in your geographic area - this is a big part of where you'll learn to work with people.  Additionally, most programs have synchronous components (meaning you have to be online at a certain time, using a webcam, etc).  I don't know for sure if EU does this, but most of the other online programs do.  You could be asked to create video diaries that are critiqued by students, you can and will be asked to work in groups, and so on.  

EU's program and school in general is pretty small, but it is an affordable CSWE-accredited program.  Online MSWs in general expand accessibility and allow people in rural environments to access an important education that might not otherwise be available.  

However, the decision to engage in a face-to-face program vs online is probably more a matter of preference.  Are you a good time manager?  Can you complete your work with less intervention from a professor?  Do you prefer the in-seat format?  Answering those questions might help you decide.  You have time to determine your educational goals because you are definitely young enough.  Do you need flexibility or an alternative format?  Then an online MSW might work for you.  

Fundamentally, the exchange of ideas, the course content, and the field requirements will be identical to an in-seat MSW.  The delivery method will be different.  Some folks seem to think that if it's online, it means "anyone" can get the degree.  Not so.  An online MSW that is accredited should be no more or less valued than a more traditional one.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am also waiting on a decision. I called them on the phone and they said we should hear something by the end of next week. She said that no decision had been made on my application yet. Not sure what that means. I figure they wait until all applications are in and then decide this week. Thoughts?

Did you apply advanced standing?

The deadline for the regular program was just this past Saturday.  I thought they had until April 26th to get back to us.  The end of next week seems very fast (but I hope this is right -- the waiting is already killing me and it's only been two days!).

If you get in, are you choosing this program?  I think I am.

I'm guessing that no decision was made on your application because it has not been read yet by the committee, so I don't think it means anything bad.  At the grad school where I used to work, each application had to be read by two members of the committee, and if they disagreed on whether someone should be admitted a third person had to read it.  Not sure if it is the same in other places, but they could have a similar process.

I applied to the regular program. Yeah I am pretty sure it has not been looked at yet. I just submitted everything a little over a month ago. This is the program I am planning to do as well. I'm really hoping to get accepted. I'm not sure how many apply. I spoke with the lady on the phone today and she said by next Friday. I was told that we would find out by snail mail. 

Thank you for getting back to me.

I'm hoping I will hear around the same time you do, but maybe mine will be a little later since I just completed my application last week. :/

Good luck to you; I hope we both get in! :)

I know!  It is very odd that we got different responses.  I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that we would hear by 4/26 but I can't find it.  I guess the anxiety will have to continue for a little while longer, but hopefully once we get the letter it will be replaced by excitement and relief.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything either.  When I wrote to them, they said it would be 2-3 weeks, and that was two weeks ago.  So I'm guessing we should hear sometime in the next week.

I have been tempted to contact them again and ask for an update on a more accurate time frame, but I don't want to be annoying.  I will post here when I hear something.  I hope we both get in!