Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) Results 2013-2014

amyboo91

I know OGS is done independently through each school now, but has anyone heard about their status? This is my first time applying so I don't really know the usual timeline. Is it too early to expect results? Thanks!

I know OGS is done independently through each school now, but has anyone heard about their status? This is my first time applying so I don't really know the usual timeline. Is it too early to expect results? Thanks!

You're right; status largely depends on the school you attend.  Personally, with my university, we heard back in February whether or not we received OGS for 2013-2014.  That being said, those of us who heard were internal candidates, so already attending the school we're applying to for another degree, or attending in second year.  I'm not sure when (or if) external candidates heard the results.  Not sure if this is helpful, but we did hear.  

On a side note, based on allocation of awards within our university, our faculty received only about 50% of the awards we have received in previous years, so an OGS this year is much harder to obtain.  I received one last year, but this year I'm simply on the reversion list.  Hopefully your school has received more allocations instead of fewer like my faculty!

Thanks for the responses. The deadline was in Feb for my school as well, so I guess I'll give it a bit more time before I start harassing the financial aid office haha. I'm an internal applicant at a smaller university (less than 400 grad students) so I have a feeling there aren't many awards to go around.
Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting to hear!

How does this reversion list work this year? When could one expect to hear?

I know that at my university, the reversion list works like so:

1- When students who were offered the award decline, because they choose to go to another school or hold another award, the awards are available to be given out to others.

2- To decide who gets the award, the school (in my case, faculty) looks at their reversion list (which may or may not already be ranked) and then choose someone from that list to get the award.

You'll basically hear once the offer letters for Tri-Council (SSHR, CIHR, NSERV) have been sent out, and responses have started filtering back to the faculty/department.  This is generally in the spring.  In the e-mail I received I was also told that more specifically, reversion offers of OGS will start going out in May through August.

My deadline as an external applicant to UofT was mid-February, and I heard March 28th that my application was successful; however, I applied to a school where each program is in charge of choosing its own winners, so that would explain the fast turnaround. 

amyboo91: I'm currently in a grad program at Trent (when you mentioned less than 400 grad students, I looked down at your signature and confirmed my suspicions!), and I haven't heard anyone talking about OGS at all recently, so I'm guessing the results are still in process. 

RelaxButterfly-  I'm surprised to see another Trent student! We're a rare breed on this forum haha. That's very helpful though, thanks. I haven't heard anything either so I'll take that as a good sign for now. Congrats on your successful application!

amyboo91: Thanks! It is definitely extremely rare to find students currently in/entering a grad program at Trent on here, although there does seem to be more this application season!

lose one thing: I applied to Western's competition as well but didn't accept the school, so I'm obviously disqualified. Nevertheless, before I accepted Toronto, I got a bit anxious about never even receiving a confirmation of my application's submission, so I sent the OGS coordinator there an e-mail. I was told that the results will be released "late spring." I assume they're going to take awhile since it appears to be a centralized process with all current and incoming students from every program being evaluated together.

Edited by RelaxButterfly

amyboo91: Thanks! It is definitely extremely rare to find students currently in/entering a grad program at Trent on here, although there does seem to be more this application season!

lose one thing: I applied to Western's competition as well but didn't accept the school, so I'm obviously disqualified. Nevertheless, before I accepted Toronto, I got a bit anxious about never even receiving a confirmation of my application's submission, so I sent the OGS coordinator there an e-mail. I was told that the results will be released "late spring." I assume they're going to take awhile since it appears to be a centralized process with all current and incoming students from every program being evaluated together.

I think at U of T each department is allocated a number of OGS which they award internally. Each department has its own deadline.

I think at U of T each department is allocated a number of OGS which they award internally. Each department has its own deadline.

Yeah, that's definitely the case, as I mentioned above. My wording in my second post is a little ambiguous as I look at it now; the OGS coordinator I heard about the "late spring" deadline from is in reference to Western. 

I'm also at an institution with a relatively small graduate program and have been told by the awards officer that results should be available the week of April 22.

Thanks for the reply RelaxButterfly. I received an email yesterday letting me know that my faculty has "endorsed" my application and that the SGPS will contact me with the results within the next two weeks. Good luck everyone! 

I received the same email a while ago. What I am wondering is if OGS is now a two stage competition within Western. I was initially pretty happy when I opened the email but upon closer inspection it just looks like we have been forwarded on to Stage 2.

I'm thinking you're right Zencarrot. I found this link yesterday, which outlines the faculty process for OGS, and it looks like the process at Western involves more than one stage. Also, it seems like the odds are not good, at least for my faculty. I agree that on first read the email gave me a rush of optimism, but now I am right back to feeling like this is a long shot.

http://grad.uwo.ca/current_students/student_finances/ogs.html 

I also received that e-mail, and from the people I've talked to (my supervisor and others), if it says 'faculty has endorsed your application...' it means yes, barring a final check of eligibility. Note it says "faculty", not department, and the link above, and what I've been told, suggests to me that all the substantive evaluation is done at the faculty level, so once it has been forwarded to SGPS it just means they have to ensure there are no technical issues with receiving the award. I do know people who didn't get the same congratulatory tone e-mail last Friday, unfortunately.   

I'm thinking you're right Zencarrot. I found this link yesterday, which outlines the faculty process for OGS, and it looks like the process at Western involves more than one stage. Also, it seems like the odds are not good, at least for my faculty. I agree that on first read the email gave me a rush of optimism, but now I am right back to feeling like this is a long shot.

http://grad.uwo.ca/current_students/student_finances/ogs.html 

Thanks for sharing this link. It cleared a lot of things up for me.

Odds don't look that great for my department either. I received a note today that I was waitlisted. The procedure says that the waitlist is a minimum of 2x the number of allocated awards, but no larger that 3x. So if the department allocates 30 awards to doctoral students, the waitlist could be anywhere from 60 to 90 students.

It looks like I am somewhere in that big cluster of uncertainty. :)

• 1 year later...

There's another thread that was started a few days before this one on OGS 2014 which lists some other results: 

I received (and declined) OGS (accepted SSHRC CGS). I was informed by a letter in the mail.

Edit: Letter arrived late last week

Edited by Nerd_For_Life