My GRE Diaries

msb2012

Today I did Manhattan free test.

I got 155 in quant & 138 in verbal.

I don't know why I can't get the same score that I got in Kaplan practice exams !!

but the good thing is the detailed analysis for my performance (I'm going to buy 1-year access for 6 exams for 30$).

Here is a detailed explanation about my performance:

8e44a57bcfa0550.png

As you see, I need to improve myself in Quantitative Comparisons since I got 40%. In geometry as you see I missed 4/8 questions , actually 3 of them were about Coordinate plane. in Algebra I missed 4/5,  two of them about inequalities and absolute values.

I think if I focus on : Quantitative ComparisonsCoordinate planeinequalities and absolute values, I will increase my score to at least 80% or even more. However, I can say nothing about verbal :( , I think this is my destiny to lose the opportunity in high schools because of it. 

Finally, any comments or suggestions ?

I will do Kaplan free test tomorrow to compare the results with today's, based on that I will specify areas that I'll focus on.

Up to now, I will use Manhattan guide for Quantitative Comparisons, coordinate plane section from Manhattan Geometry book, and inequalities and absolute values from Manhattan algebra book. + princeton 1014 Questions on those fields.

Edited by msb2012

Hi ,

I like to give you some inputs ,

I am also an ESL student (Sri Lankan) and not very good in English either. I did both GRE and TOEFL last January after an one month of preparation.I got 104 for TOEFL iBT (R30 L30 S23 W21 ) and 159 V and 161 Q AWA 3 for GRE . I used Kaplan, ETS book and Barrens. From my experiences as a some one who is not good in English, I agree that you cannot improve speaking and writing skills overnight (That what reflect in my toefl score), but you can definitely improve your reading comprehension. Read a lot of news and articles definitely will help, but don't confine to just what you like, try to read in many different areas e.g economics social science, politics. Another thing is don't try to over-depend on Kaplan for GRE quanta section , Actual quanta questions are more difficult and time consuming than what you see in Kaplan. I got near 170 when I did my mock test in Kaplan , but ran out time and did not do 7 in difficult second part and 2 in first quanta section. Kaplan is good for verbal (as per my knowledge).

Hi ,

I like to give you some inputs ,

I am also an ESL student (Sri Lankan) and not very good in English either. I did both GRE and TOEFL last January after an one month of preparation.I got 104 for TOEFL iBT (R30 L30 S23 W21 ) and 159 V and 161 Q AWA 3 for GRE . I used Kaplan, ETS book and Barrens. From my experiences as a some one who is not good in English, I agree that you cannot improve speaking and writing skills overnight (That what reflect in my toefl score), but you can definitely improve your reading comprehension. Read a lot of news and articles definitely will help, but don't confine to just what you like, try to read in many different areas e.g economics social science, politics. Another thing is don't try to over-depend on Kaplan for GRE quanta section , Actual quanta questions are more difficult and time consuming than what you see in Kaplan. I got near 170 when I did my mock test in Kaplan , but ran out time and did not do 7 in difficult second part and 2 in first quanta section. Kaplan is good for verbal (as per my knowledge).

You didn't do 9 questions and still got a Q161?? If that's the case then with some time management you could really get that score up.

Based on a lot of suggestions, I won't do kaplan's. I started now focusing on some areas that I mentioned above. I'll try to do Manhattan exam on Tuesday (Quant only), I'll see the difference.

Is there any (good) exams rather than (ETS - Manhattan - Barrons - Kaplan) ?

Mr. lipward, since you're good in quant, Can you give me any (very summarized) explanation about coordinate plane ? I'm really bad on it, and I want any summarized explanation about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to my diaries, I started focusing on the topics that I mentioned above. Today I finished the 2nd Manhattan exam (quant only).

I increased my score from 155 to 160 :)

this is the detailed report

550dae3c0a4564a.png

As you see I increased my QC from 40% to 87%

In the topics,

Algebra increased from 20% to 50% (not enough)

FDP stayed on 69% (not the goal)

Geometry increased from 50% to 86% (Great but tricky, since this time I didn't face any coordinate plane questions)

Number properties increased from 67% to 83%

Word problem decreased from 88% to 70% (bad)

As you see : Algebra -  coordinate plane - Word problem - Data Interpretation will be the topics that I'll focus on. But before that, I will take another exam tomorrow.

the good thing when I got 17/20 in the first section, the questions turned to be harder in the other section.

I see myself in the good way to go more than 163 (my goal). However, nothing new about my verbal, I'll try to practice reading to achieve 150 (my goal).

thanks.

Edited by msb2012

Please try to take the full test and not just Quant. You'll have to train your self to shift focus --Very Fast. Gre tests a lot more than "Only Quant"

Today I did manhattan (verbal only).

I increased my score from 138 to 142 (nice but not the goal).

Actually I answered 9/40 :(  8 of them was RC's

I found that in all my practice exams I didn't answered any Sentence Equivalence correctly !!!

Tomorrow I want to focus on RC  +  (Algebra -  coordinate plane - Word problem - Data Interpretation). I'll use Manhattan guide for quant

on Tuesday I'll have Manhattan full test. 

Today I did a full manhattan test.

I got 159Q  & 143V

this time I did bad in first quant section 12/20 ... the second one looked easier 18/20.

In verbal I did bad in RC... only 5 correct answers (the previous time it was 8)

but unfortunately I got 4 correct answers in TC. I think the practicing helped me to guess some answers without knowing their meanings.

fa05228a8e8c434.png

Here is a detailed explanation about my performance in 4 exams (2-full + 1-quant only + 1-verbal only). So, we can for 3 full exams

2f42cae9e2b55f2.png

As you see all quant topics are between 50% to 76%. So, I must practice more and more on all topics. But still now I see myself in the good way. In verbal, I'll try to do my best. I started with 138 and now I'm in 143. I'll try to reach 150 as a final goal. off course I'll put all of my effort in RC.

any suggestions? comments? 

any other exams rather than ETS, manhattan, kaplan, barrons ?

thanks

• 7 years later...
On 4/21/2013 at 6:56 AM, msb2012 said:

Mr. lipward, since you're good in quant, Can you give me any (very summarized) explanation about coordinate plane ? I'm really bad on it, and I want any summarized explanation about it.

Oh Sorry I have just seen your question. I was doing the GRE Subject test at that time (April 20th, 2013)