UT Dallas

Yay! Congrats!  Actually, I will be deciding by this coming Monday at the latest... And if I do pick UTD, I will be looking for a roommate too!  I will keep you updated!!  I see your current location is Austin..... I went to UT for undergrad, is that where you are now?!  I graduated in 2008 though and am now living back in Oklahoma where I grew up.

happybow- congrats!! Do you know much about where grad students live? I know most if not all of our classes will be in the Callier Center so I was wondering what area people generally live in...and if you know anyone looking for a roommate please let me know!

There's a good chance I'll be heading to UTD too! And I've heard a lot of UTD students live in a community downtown called the village. It's got like 15 apartment complexes in it - it's huge!

I think I heard that any undergrad classes you have left will be taken in Richardson as well as the second semester adult practicum. But from what I understood, everything else is at the Callier Center!

I think I heard that any undergrad classes you have left will be taken in Richardson as well as the second semester adult practicum. But from what I understood, everything else is at the Callier Center!

That's what I was told as well! 

happybow, do you know of any other good apartments downtown? It's looking more and more likely that I'll be heading down there! And I may be looking for a roommate as well so SKK013, maybe we should talk ;)

Hey everyone!

I'm currently at UT-Dallas for Communication Disorders and actually graduate in a few weeks! If you have an questions about the program or anything else in Dallas, feel free to ask! I love helping out new students, I always wished I had someone already in the program to answer questions I had! :) You'll love it, that's for sure!

Oh, and most grad classes (if you aren't leveling) are held at Callier Dallas, not at the Callier Center in Richardson!

Hey everyone!

I'm currently at UT-Dallas for Communication Disorders and actually graduate in a few weeks! If you have an questions about the program or anything else in Dallas, feel free to ask! I love helping out new students, I always wished I had someone already in the program to answer questions I had! :) You'll love it, that's for sure!

Oh, and most grad classes (if you aren't leveling) are held at Callier Dallas, not at the Callier Center in Richardson!

Thanks for offering to help!  Haha, is there anything in particular you think we might need to know?  Also, it's been discussed earlier in the thread, but I'm trying to figure out where to look for an apartment.  I know about the Village and don't really want to live out in the suburbs - it just seems like quite a trek.  Where do the SLP students typically live?  Also, is it weird not to be part of an actual college campus or do you just kind of get used to it?

Thanks for offering to help!  Haha, is there anything in particular you think we might need to know?  Also, it's been discussed earlier in the thread, but I'm trying to figure out where to look for an apartment.  I know about the Village and don't really want to live out in the suburbs - it just seems like quite a trek.  Where do the SLP students typically live?  Also, is it weird not to be part of an actual college campus or do you just kind of get used to it?

Big tip...DON'T STRESS! This program is so awesome in that they don't force you do to unnecessary research papers or a thesis to graduate. There may be a few classes that have research papers, but they offer so many electives that you can avoid them if research (or getting a Ph.D in the future) isn't your thing! This truly is a clinically based program and I've felt less stressed in grad school than I ever did in undergrad as a COMD student.

Let's see..I actually live right down the street from Callier Dallas, at a complex called Inwood on the Park. It's pretty reasonably priced and well worth how close it is to the school (literally right down the street). But you're right, a lot of students live at the Village, just because they're pretty affordable. They really aren't "in the subarbs" though! They're near the SMU campus, so you'd see a lot of those students as well. There are also a lot of girls who live in Uptown...but those can get really expensive just because of the location in the city.

And while it was a little strange a first not being a part of the main campus, it's actually nice not having to deal with undergraduate students. Although many of us are choosing not to walk at graduation because we never felt like we were at UT-Dallas (the main campus).

Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Thanks so much for your writeup KirstaLeigh89!  I am still on the "waitlist" but you make me feel a bit more comfortable about the prospect of attending UTD!  I live in the suburbs (I'm a non-traditional applicant) and the drive to Callier is not going to be pretty so I am glad to hear that your classes are not overly stressful as 75 already is stressful enough!  I hope to attend part-time so I can have a family/school life balance but have been terrified about the stress level!  Are there a lot of group projects/work? 

Big tip...DON'T STRESS! This program is so awesome in that they don't force you do to unnecessary research papers or a thesis to graduate. There may be a few classes that have research papers, but they offer so many electives that you can avoid them if research (or getting a Ph.D in the future) isn't your thing! This truly is a clinically based program and I've felt less stressed in grad school than I ever did in undergrad as a COMD student.

Let's see..I actually live right down the street from Callier Dallas, at a complex called Inwood on the Park. It's pretty reasonably priced and well worth how close it is to the school (literally right down the street). But you're right, a lot of students live at the Village, just because they're pretty affordable. They really aren't "in the subarbs" though! They're near the SMU campus, so you'd see a lot of those students as well. There are also a lot of girls who live in Uptown...but those can get really expensive just because of the location in the city.

And while it was a little strange a first not being a part of the main campus, it's actually nice not having to deal with undergraduate students. Although many of us are choosing not to walk at graduation because we never felt like we were at UT-Dallas (the main campus).

Hi, KristaLeigh89! I am currently an undergrad in the UTD SPAU program. I'm on the wait list for the grad program here. Is there any way we can trade info and maybe email or talk sometime? I would love to ask about all of the different classes you took in the COMD program and your thoughts on them. Perhaps we can PM each other and trade contact info? 

Thank you so much for offering advice to folks, mentors are hard to find. :)

I will be attending UTD for the fall also! I am a UTD undergrad.

Happybow, I am a current UTD undergrad as well in the Speech Pathology Program. Maybe we've met?

Thanks so much for your writeup KirstaLeigh89!  I am still on the "waitlist" but you make me feel a bit more comfortable about the prospect of attending UTD!  I live in the suburbs (I'm a non-traditional applicant) and the drive to Callier is not going to be pretty so I am glad to hear that your classes are not overly stressful as 75 already is stressful enough!  I hope to attend part-time so I can have a family/school life balance but have been terrified about the stress level!  Are there a lot of group projects/work? 

Hey! There actually aren't a ton of group projects/work outside of the class, but often you might work in groups for in-class assignments depending on what class it is! :) Good luck! Plenty of people have to commute, so don't worry about it too much!

Hey everyone!

KristaLeigh89, thanks for offering your support! 

And to everyone who got in this year, congratulations! It's such a fabulous program with the Callier Center.  

I'm actually an out-of-field and out-of-state applicant who missed the deadline for this year's cycle but definitely am looking into applying for next fall. The program sounds great and for some reason, I've been really drawn to go to Dallas! 

KristaLeigh89, is the student body of mainly CSD-background undergrad students? Does this program prefer in-state applicants? Do you know anything of what the three application (fall, summer, spring) cycles are like?