UT Dallas

KristaLeigh89, thanks for offering your support! 

And to everyone who got in this year, congratulations! It's such a fabulous program with the Callier Center.  

I'm actually an out-of-field and out-of-state applicant who missed the deadline for this year's cycle but definitely am looking into applying for next fall. The program sounds great and for some reason, I've been really drawn to go to Dallas! 

KristaLeigh89, is the student body of mainly CSD-background undergrad students? Does this program prefer in-state applicants? Do you know anything of what the three application (fall, summer, spring) cycles are like? 

Hey!

Don't worry at all about being an out-of-field student, there are plenty of girls who come from different schooling backgrounds (I've heard finance, teaching, business, linguistic, math, etc)! All you would do is take "leveling classes" (basically undergrad courses) and the program might take you a semester or two longer, depending on the number of hours you take a semester! 

As for in-state vs out-of-state students....Most of the girls are from Texas schools, but I think it's mostly because UT-D is so well-known for it's COMD program. There are quite a few out-of-state students though, myself included! And most of the time, the out-of-state girls are granted in-state tuition as part of a scholarship given by the Callier Center :)

In terms of which semester to start, there's not really a ton of difference. There tend to be less people who start in the spring and most start in the fall. I started in the fall and graduate in about a week and a half. Although it's definitely possible to graduate a semester early! I have a friend who started a semester after me (in the spring) but was able to get enough clock hours and class credits to graduate with me in May!

Hope that helped! :)

Hey!

Don't worry at all about being an out-of-field student, there are plenty of girls who come from different schooling backgrounds (I've heard finance, teaching, business, linguistic, math, etc)! All you would do is take "leveling classes" (basically undergrad courses) and the program might take you a semester or two longer, depending on the number of hours you take a semester! 

As for in-state vs out-of-state students....Most of the girls are from Texas schools, but I think it's mostly because UT-D is so well-known for it's COMD program. There are quite a few out-of-state students though, myself included! And most of the time, the out-of-state girls are granted in-state tuition as part of a scholarship given by the Callier Center :)

In terms of which semester to start, there's not really a ton of difference. There tend to be less people who start in the spring and most start in the fall. I started in the fall and graduate in about a week and a half. Although it's definitely possible to graduate a semester early! I have a friend who started a semester after me (in the spring) but was able to get enough clock hours and class credits to graduate with me in May!

Hope that helped! :)

Congratulations on being almost done! 

Thank you so much! You've been incredibly helpful :) I'm actually from California and am currently thinking about visiting the department sometime in this summer! 

If you don't mind me asking, did most of your friends do their "leveling" classes at UT Dallas? Are there any grad students who did their "leveling" classes elsewhere?

Is the student body very diverse? :) 

Congratulations on being almost done! 

Thank you so much! You've been incredibly helpful :) I'm actually from California and am currently thinking about visiting the department sometime in this summer! 

If you don't mind me asking, did most of your friends do their "leveling" classes at UT Dallas? Are there any grad students who did their "leveling" classes elsewhere?

Is the student body very diverse? :)

Thanks for the congrats! Grad school goes by so much faster than undergrad and I have never regretted my choice to attend UT-Dallas! And I think our program gives you the best training/experiences you need to begin your CFY :)

But yes, most girls did their "leveling" classes at UT-Dallas. A lot of them took those classes in conjunction with normal grad classes. And yep, our program is pretty diverse...well at least in comparison to my undergrad COMD program! There are girls from very different religious backgrounds, ethnicities, and cultures..so I really feel like our program is diverse! Plus, being in such a large metro area helps!

Thanks for the congrats! Grad school goes by so much faster than undergrad and I have never regretted my choice to attend UT-Dallas! And I think our program gives you the best training/experiences you need to begin your CFY :)

But yes, most girls did their "leveling" classes at UT-Dallas. A lot of them took those classes in conjunction with normal grad classes. And yep, our program is pretty diverse...well at least in comparison to my undergrad COMD program! There are girls from very different religious backgrounds, ethnicities, and cultures..so I really feel like our program is diverse! Plus, being in such a large metro area helps!

KristaLeigh89, thank you for being so quick! It's quickly becoming one of my dream schools to apply to with all your answers!

I'm getting very intimidated by the amount of applicants, average GPA and GRE scores that the school receives and with your answers, I see why! From your experience, what are some qualities that the admissions office looks for? :) 

KristaLeigh89, thank you for being so quick! It's quickly becoming one of my dream schools to apply to with all your answers!

I'm getting very intimidated by the amount of applicants, average GPA and GRE scores that the school receives and with your answers, I see why! From your experience, what are some qualities that the admissions office looks for? :)

That's a little bit of hard question, but I'll try my best! Obviously average GPA and GRE scores are important, but I really think our school places a lot of weight on the all-around applicant. If they see that someone has a higher GPA and GRE score than another applicant, but doesn't really have much else, then I feel like they would be more likely to accept a person who has a lower GPA/GRE score who has been highly involved in different aspects of our field and has obvious passion for speech pathology!

I hope that helps!!! Good luck :)

Hey everyone!

I'm currently at UT-Dallas for Communication Disorders and actually graduate in a few weeks! If you have an questions about the program or anything else in Dallas, feel free to ask! I love helping out new students, I always wished I had someone already in the program to answer questions I had! :) You'll love it, that's for sure!

Oh, and most grad classes (if you aren't leveling) are held at Callier Dallas, not at the Callier Center in Richardson!

KristaLeigh89, thanks again for your help!  I'm hope we're not overwhelming you with our questions - it's so nice to have someone to ask!

I was told that I would be paying in-state tuition, which I'm super thankful for, but I'm still concerned about all the remaining costs.  Are there many (if any) on-campus jobs available?  Is it reasonable to try to hold a part-time job outside of school or is that too much on top of courses and practicum?  I'm just not looking forward to having this much debt hanging over my head :/

KristaLeigh89, thanks again for your help!  I'm hope we're not overwhelming you with our questions - it's so nice to have someone to ask!

I was told that I would be paying in-state tuition, which I'm super thankful for, but I'm still concerned about all the remaining costs.  Are there many (if any) on-campus jobs available?  Is it reasonable to try to hold a part-time job outside of school or is that too much on top of courses and practicum?  I'm just not looking forward to having this much debt hanging over my head :/

Y'all aren't overwhelming me :) I wished I would've had someone to answer my questions coming into grad school, so I'm happy to help!

As for on-campus jobs, there are girls who are TA's and GA's for the professors at Callier-Dallas or work in the main office, but the majority of girls who need jobs tend to babysit or nanny! Our program sends out so many mass e-mails to students from parents who need girls to watch their kids (and they often pay very well). I was able to babysit throughout grad school without any problems, just be smart about how you schedule your classes and the practicums you choose. I was actually able to have Fridays off every semester except for summer :) You've made a smart choice to attend UT-D, it's unlike any other grad program that I've ever heard of!

KristaLeigh89, you have bee very helpful!  I hope to start next spring.  Is there any chance you know a student at UTD who also has a family?  I would love to talk to a student who has been through the program while also juggling a family.  I spoke with someone at UTD and it sounds possible but I'd like to hear what to expect directly from the source! 

KristaLeigh89, you have bee very helpful!  I hope to start next spring.  Is there any chance you know a student at UTD who also has a family?  I would love to talk to a student who has been through the program while also juggling a family.  I spoke with someone at UTD and it sounds possible but I'd like to hear what to expect directly from the source! 

Hey! There are quite a few students who are married and some that also have children. If you send me your e-mail in a message, I'll pass it along to a woman who is in my current clinical placement...she's in her 40s, married, and has 2 kids! :)

Thanks!  I messaged you!

Hey! There are quite a few students who are married and some that also have children. If you send me your e-mail in a message, I'll pass it along to a woman who is in my current clinical placement...she's in her 40s, married, and has 2 kids! :)

Has anybody heard anything about advising, orientation or enrollment yet? I feel like I haven't heard anything since I accepted and was wondering if that was everybody or just me, ha!

You are a treasure, kristaleigh89!

Because I'm bilingual and have worked with diverse and multicultural populations, UT Dallas seems like the perfect program to apply to based on all the information that you've provided! My only concern is that with every admissions season, the standards just seem to get higher and higher and I fear that my out-of-field, out-of-state, average GPA/GRE scores and volunteer experiences may not be enough to be considered for the program. Even to enter as a "leveling" student :(

Based on the program's clinical-based focus, would you recommend bulking up my volunteer experiences other getting a higher GRE score? Any recommendations for the statement of purpose from the rest the newly-admitted UT Dallas grad students? :) 

Much appreciated!

You are a treasure, kristaleigh89!

Because I'm bilingual and have worked with diverse and multicultural populations, UT Dallas seems like the perfect program to apply to based on all the information that you've provided! My only concern is that with every admissions season, the standards just seem to get higher and higher and I fear that my out-of-field, out-of-state, average GPA/GRE scores and volunteer experiences may not be enough to be considered for the program. Even to enter as a "leveling" student :(

Based on the program's clinical-based focus, would you recommend bulking up my volunteer experiences other getting a higher GRE score? Any recommendations for the statement of purpose from the rest the newly-admitted UT Dallas grad students? :)

Much appreciated!

Sorry it took me a couple days to get back to you, I was actually in the process of moving out from Dallas! I'm an official UTD grad now :)

But I would definitely put an emphasis on the fact that you're bilingual and your multicultural experiences. That part of our field is in such high demand right now, yet there aren't nearly as many SLPs who are able to fill those roles! And yes, get as much experience as you can. Every little bit helps, especially if they see how involved you are with our field already!

Good luck!

Sorry it took me a couple days to get back to you, I was actually in the process of moving out from Dallas! I'm an official UTD grad now :)

But I would definitely put an emphasis on the fact that you're bilingual and your multicultural experiences. That part of our field is in such high demand right now, yet there aren't nearly as many SLPs who are able to fill those roles! And yes, get as much experience as you can. Every little bit helps, especially if they see how involved you are with our field already!

Good luck!

Congratulations on graduating, KristaLeigh89! 

Thank you for all your amazing advice! I wish you the best as you embark upon your speech pathologist career!  :) 

SLPSteph, What was the email that you received about enrollment? I must have missed it or accidently deleted it! Thanks!!
SKK013, I got an email from Dr Stillman with a letter attached. It told me who my advisor was and how to set up advising to enroll. If you haven't received it, I would just email Dr Stillman and ask! It sounds like we pretty much have all summer :)

Hi!!

In the fall I'll be a grad student at UTD studying SLP. I am looking to live in downtown Dallas near the Callier Center (preferably Uptown).

If anyone is looking for a roommate, please let me know!! I'd be happy to share more info!

=]

• 2 years later...

Hey everyone!

I'm currently at UT-Dallas for Communication Disorders and actually graduate in a few weeks! If you have an questions about the program or anything else in Dallas, feel free to ask! I love helping out new students, I always wished I had someone already in the program to answer questions I had! :) You'll love it, that's for sure!

Oh, and most grad classes (if you aren't leveling) are held at Callier Dallas, not at the Callier Center in Richardson!

Hey,

Thank you so much for your willingness to help. I am currently doing my MHA and I just decided that Speech Pathology is really what I want to do. My Gre and Gpa weren't great, but I am hoping get enough experience to be considered. If you don't mind, what type of experiences did u have before applying and what were your gre/gpa stats. I hope I am not getting too personal :). Congrats on graduating btw!!

• 8 months later...

Hi! I am currently a student at Purdue University hoping you get into UT Dallas in the spring of 2017! I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on how difficult it is to get into this school. I know all SLP schools are competitive, but as a student with an average GPA and GRE score I'm wondering whether I should try or if it would just be better to apply other places. Thanks! 

3 hours ago, kodo said:

Hi! I am currently a student at Purdue University hoping you get into UT Dallas in the spring of 2017! I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on how difficult it is to get into this school. I know all SLP schools are competitive, but as a student with an average GPA and GRE score I'm wondering whether I should try or if it would just be better to apply other places. Thanks! 

Have you looked at ASHA's list of schools? They list the range of recent accepted students at most programs. Dallas seems to accept a wide range of scores. If you're not super confident in your stats, you might be able to offset that with a really strong SOP and LORs    .

http://www.asha.org/edfind/details.aspx?id=ThrH9q8qhCn+WHtNqIDThQ==

I've looked at ASHA's info about the school, I just didn't know if anyone could shed some light on the actual GPA and GRE score range of students who get admitted

1 hour ago, kodo said:

I've looked at ASHA's info about the school, I just didn't know if anyone could shed some light on the actual GPA and GRE score range of students who get admitted

Hiya - posted this earlier today on a related thread - everyone should try to scour the schools' websites before asking these types of questions.  Hope this helps!  ?

I have found that you can find what is likely to be more accurate GREs and GPAs on the college program websites.  For example, I found this on the UT Dallas website in the FAQs:

Although there is no specific GPA or GRE cutoff for admission, most admitted students have an overall  GPA of at least 3.6 and a GRE of 305 or higher. The median GRE score for students entering the program in Fall '15 was 314 and the median overall GPA was 3.8.

Hey, friends!

I know several of you are anxiously awaiting to hear back from UT Dallas. Just wanted to share that Dr. Stillman e-mailed me this evening to notify me of my acceptance! I've also been offered a scholarship that allows me to pay tuition at the in-state rate, as I am from Tennessee. This is my first acceptance, and I could not be happier! I will definitely be waiting to hear back from some more schools, but UTD is very high on my list.

Best of luck!