UT Dallas

1 hour ago, lindsay359 said:

Does anyone else have this same problem? I submitted all my application material and even called to confirm it, yet my galaxy portal still says pending awaiting documents. 

Thank you!

The system will continue to say that until it receives "official" transcripts.  That being said UTD doesn't want/require official transcripts unless you are offered admission.  Hopefully they can find a way for that message not to appear in the future, but when I applied (and currently) it had that message as well.  As long as you called to make sure it wasn't referring to GRE scores or letters of rec you shouldn't worry about it!  

4 hours ago, CBG321 said:

The system will continue to say that until it receives "official" transcripts.  That being said UTD doesn't want/require official transcripts unless you are offered admission.  Hopefully they can find a way for that message not to appear in the future, but when I applied (and currently) it had that message as well.  As long as you called to make sure it wasn't referring to GRE scores or letters of rec you shouldn't worry about it!  

Oh good! I was worried about the same thing! thanks so much :)

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, BamaBelle said:

It's essential half of out of state. Here are the tuition tables.

http://www.utdallas.edu/bursar/tuition/tables/

Thank you! I am visiting the program over spring break and want to look at housing in the area. Do you have any suggestions? I looked at the previous posts, but was wondering if you have learned more about housing in the past year. I noticed that the village and oak lawn seem popular. What areas are safe and which should I avoid? 

47 minutes ago, lindsay359 said:

Thank you! I am visiting the program over spring break and want to look at housing in the area. Do you have any suggestions? I looked at the previous posts, but was wondering if you have learned more about housing in the past year. I noticed that the village and oak lawn seem popular. What areas are safe and which should I avoid? 

I would avoid West End, but I think those would be too expensive, anyway. Honestly though, my house shopping experience was so long ago, it's kind of a blur. Oak Lawn and the Village would definitely be good. Uptown is pretty popular, too, and I think that would be a fun area to live. Some people live really close to Callier Dallas, but if you ever have a class/practicum on the main campus in Richardson, that would really be a pain, so I would look for somewhere sort of in the middle. I ended up near SMU and there are a bunch of pretty decent complexes in this area (which is also very close to the Village). If this is where you end up coming and you're looking for a roommate, I would also email Jan Lougeay, because she'll send out a list of people looking for roommates.

40 minutes ago, BamaBelle said:

I would avoid West End, but I think those would be too expensive, anyway. Honestly though, my house shopping experience was so long ago, it's kind of a blur. Oak Lawn and the Village would definitely be good. Uptown is pretty popular, too, and I think that would be a fun area to live. Some people live really close to Callier Dallas, but if you ever have a class/practicum on the main campus in Richardson, that would really be a pain, so I would look for somewhere sort of in the middle. I ended up near SMU and there are a bunch of pretty decent complexes in this area (which is also very close to the Village). If this is where you end up coming and you're looking for a roommate, I would also email Jan Lougeay, because she'll send out a list of people looking for roommates.

Thank you! I will definitely avoid the West End. Do you spend more time at Callier Dallas or in Richardson? Oak Lawn and the village seem to be the most popular complexes, are there any other ones you can recommend? How long is the drive to each location from the SMU area with traffic? Sorry for all these questions! 

On 2/21/2017 at 8:40 PM, lindsay359 said:

Thank you! I will definitely avoid the West End. Do you spend more time at Callier Dallas or in Richardson? Oak Lawn and the village seem to be the most popular complexes, are there any other ones you can recommend? How long is the drive to each location from the SMU area with traffic? Sorry for all these questions! 

So this semester I am completely at CD. Last semester I had practicum at CR twice a week, and some of my friends are up there now 4 days a week. Your first semester, you'll just get assigned to a practicum, either the adult core or one of the pediatric ones, so you could be at CR a bunch or not at all. Depending on traffic, it takes me 15-30 minutes (probably around 20 most days) to get to CD and about 20-30 to get to CR. 

I don't know any specific conplexes, but there are a whole bunch in the Uptown area that I might check out. I'll ask around a bit and see what other people say. Sorry I'm not more helpful in that area!

13 hours ago, BamaBelle said:

So this semester I am completely at CD. Last semester I had practicum at CR twice a week, and some of my friends are up there now 4 days a week. Your first semester, you'll just get assigned to a practicum, either the adult core or one of the pediatric ones, so you could be at CR a bunch or not at all. Depending on traffic, it takes me 15-30 minutes (probably around 20 most days) to get to CD and about 20-30 to get to CR. 

I don't know any specific conplexes, but there are a whole bunch in the Uptown area that I might check out. I'll ask around a bit and see what other people say. Sorry I'm not more helpful in that area!

Thank you! I guess I can't really choose a location until I know where I will be for practicum. I will check out both areas.  

4 hours ago, sardothi3n said:

Has everyone accepted out of state gotten the in state tuition waiver to UT Dallas?? I didn't and I thought that generally out of state admits do... ?

Last year, there were upwards of 24 available, so many in previous cohorts did. This year there are only 6 or 7 from my understanding and talking with Dr. Stillman.

On 2/28/2017 at 5:51 PM, k_kismet said:

Last year, there were upwards of 24 available, so many in previous cohorts did. This year there are only 6 or 7 from my understanding and talking with Dr. Stillman.

Yeah, I think Dr. Stillman said that last year, all of the out of state students (27) were offered in state tuition, but this year, the school has taken away a lot of that funding and there are only 6 scholarships to offer. I think they are still working to find more funding for that, but I don't know if they'll get it. It's definitely a bummer for out of state students this year. @sardothi3n

On 2/24/2017 at 11:47 AM, lindsay359 said:

Thank you! I guess I can't really choose a location until I know where I will be for practicum. I will check out both areas.  

Keep in mind your first practicum will only be about 4-5 months so the remainder of the year you might end up in a location that isn't close to your practicum.  For instance you could be placed in Richardson your first semester, Dallas your second semester and off campus your 3rd.  I wouldn't base your apartment location on one semester of clinic.  You will be taking the vast majority if not all of your classes (which are in the afternoon) in Dallas.  So if you want to be closer to the school, look in the Southwestern Medical district or Oak Lawn or Uptown areas.  Some of the girls in the program live in Maple District Lofts which is located 5 mins from the Dallas location.  Good luck apartment hunting!!  Welcome to UTD :)

I submitted my application at the end of January and still haven't heard anything, anyone else in a similar situation? Feeling slightly discouraged by this seeing as those with acceptances seem to have gotten a response pretty quickly. Does anyone know when/how we will hear a final decision?

3 hours ago, SLP.hopeful2017 said:

I submitted my application at the end of January and still haven't heard anything, anyone else in a similar situation? Feeling slightly discouraged by this seeing as those with acceptances seem to have gotten a response pretty quickly. Does anyone know when/how we will hear a final decision?

Hi! I am in the same position. Submitted my app at the end of January. UT Dallas is my top school so I'm just anxious to hear. I hope they'll send out all decisions soon!

4 hours ago, SLP.hopeful2017 said:

I'm in the same situation as well! I applied in early January and haven't heard anything. I called and they said we should all know by mid-March, so hopefully we hear something soon!

13 hours ago, lindsay359 said:

Does anyone know anything about assistantships at UT Dallas? I am waiting on my FAFSA to process to see if I qualify for a work study, but was wondering if I should be applying for assistantships. 

I think assistantships are only for PhD students, so the FAFSA should be all you need.

On 3/10/2017 at 3:50 PM, minti13 said:

I'm in the same situation as well! I applied in early January and haven't heard anything. I called and they said we should all know by mid-March, so hopefully we hear something soon!

Hmmm idk about mid-march, I'd say closer to April tbh for everyone to get a finalized decision.  That being said there is no set date so maybe they are doing it a bit earlier this year?

Does anyone know how many credit hours you take a semester? Dr. Stillman told me it was about 39 credit hours for class and 18 credit hours for practicum total, but I was wondering how many per semester. I am trying to calculate the cost of tuition, but it is hard because it is on a graduated scale so the more credits you take per semester the cheaper it is per credit. 

15 hours ago, lindsay359 said:

Does anyone know how many credit hours you take a semester? Dr. Stillman told me it was about 39 credit hours for class and 18 credit hours for practicum total, but I was wondering how many per semester. I am trying to calculate the cost of tuition, but it is hard because it is on a graduated scale so the more credits you take per semester the cheaper it is per credit. 

I'm not positive about other semesters, but this is my first, and I am taking 14 credit hours (4 classes, 3 which are 3 hours each, one which is 2, then 3 hours for practicum). This summer, I'm taking 2 classes and practicum (9 hours total). I hope this helps a little bit! 

16 hours ago, lindsay359 said:

I am in my second semester and I took 14 last semester and 13 this semester. Summer will probably be around 9 and then the last two will probably be around 9 each, including practicum. 

On 3/10/2017 at 11:46 AM, SLP.hopeful2017 said:

I spoke with the front desk about this today since I've yet to receive a decision as well. The front desk lady says that they can still make a decision after April 15th and that they'll be doing rolling admissions for the next 3 to 4 weeks. They aren't doing a waitlist, they just aren't making decisions, even if it's after the typical April 15th deadline. She did say though that if you have another offer that you should call a week before the April 15th and let them know that you are trying to make a decision and she said they would consider that. 

Frankly I think that's bullshit. If most Texas schools have decision deadlines of April 15th then they should abide by that deadline. They know better than anyone the stress that we all go through during this time and the significant decisions we have to make (moving, financial aid, program types, etc.) and here they are taking their sweet time. They should at least be waitlisting people, not dragging out decisions. It almost makes me hesitant to go to a school that pulls this crap (if of course I get accepted). Rant over. 

1 hour ago, ccran said:

I'm not positive about other semesters, but this is my first, and I am taking 14 credit hours (4 classes, 3 which are 3 hours each, one which is 2, then 3 hours for practicum). This

1 hour ago, BamaBelle said:

I am in my second semester and I took 14 last semester and 13 this semester. Summer will probably be around 9 and then the last two will probably be around 9 each, including practicum. 

summer, I'm taking 2 classes and practicum (9 hours total). I hope this helps a little bit! 

Thank you! You guys have been so helpful. I haven't committed to UT Dallas yet but it is one of my top choices. I am just trying to account for all the costs. Living in Dallas is a little more expensive than my current city. 

On 3/20/2017 at 2:39 PM, slpjava said:

I spoke with the front desk about this today since I've yet to receive a decision as well. The front desk lady says that they can still make a decision after April 15th and that they'll be doing rolling admissions for the next 3 to 4 weeks. They aren't doing a waitlist, they just aren't making decisions, even if it's after the typical April 15th deadline. She did say though that if you have another offer that you should call a week before the April 15th and let them know that you are trying to make a decision and she said they would consider that. 

Frankly I think that's bullshit. If most Texas schools have decision deadlines of April 15th then they should abide by that deadline. They know better than anyone the stress that we all go through during this time and the significant decisions we have to make (moving, financial aid, program types, etc.) and here they are taking their sweet time. They should at least be waitlisting people, not dragging out decisions. It almost makes me hesitant to go to a school that pulls this crap (if of course I get accepted). Rant over. 

So you have to keep in mind that you applied to a school that does rolling admissions.  It is not the admission committee's fault that other students are not giving UTD a final decision.  They can't give away an already offered spot to you just b/c of the time constraints.  It sucks and I can see how frustrating it must be waiting to hear back but it is not due to disorganization or lack of consideration for students.  They have already offered x people spots and they can't offer you that spot until someone official declines their acceptance.  

Also the deadline was February 15th for UTD so it's barely been over a month since the deadline, with 600+ apps.  They are actually looking at people's applications instead of mass declining people based on one criteria.  Just keep that in mind when you want to write them off as "pulling crap" when they are taking the time to read the applications that you spent months composing.  Good luck!