UT Dallas

20 hours ago, CBG321 said:

So you have to keep in mind that you applied to a school that does rolling admissions.  It is not the admission committee's fault that other students are not giving UTD a final decision.  They can't give away an already offered spot to you just b/c of the time constraints.  It sucks and I can see how frustrating it must be waiting to hear back but it is not due to disorganization or lack of consideration for students.  They have already offered x people spots and they can't offer you that spot until someone official declines their acceptance.  

Also the deadline was February 15th for UTD so it's barely been over a month since the deadline, with 600+ apps.  They are actually looking at people's applications instead of mass declining people based on one criteria.  Just keep that in mind when you want to write them off as "pulling crap" when they are taking the time to read the applications that you spent months composing.  Good luck!  

Thanks for the reply. You're definitely correct in that it is much better that they actually take the time to review the application rather than toss it out due to some specific criteria, and you make a lot of other good points. I am obviously stressed about this whole period, such as many others on this site are, and after months upon months of having a wall blocking you from seeing your future or being able to make any life decisions has been taxing. 

I suppose what is getting to me is the system of admissions itself. It's a perpetual cycle where no one is accepting offers because they are waitlisted elsewhere due to others not accepting their offers due to being waitlisted at other places. I think if anything it's not UT Dallas that is annoying me it's the fact that we have to put down a tuition deposit when we are not even sure about the decisions of other schools. Being in graduate school for 2-3 years and living off of loans or part time jobs is a stressful place to be and any money that can be saved, be it a tuition deposit or not, is money that could really help, especially if you end up moving for school. I understand that schools need to know that you're dedicated to attending but I feel like there should be two deadlines, one where you accept/decline and one that is for the deposit. That way you have the opportunity to hear back from other schools where you might have been waitlisted. I know it would take a lot of work but I think it would be doable. What do you think?

1 hour ago, slpjava said:

Thanks for the reply. You're definitely correct in that it is much better that they actually take the time to review the application rather than toss it out due to some specific criteria, and you make a lot of other good points. I am obviously stressed about this whole period, such as many others on this site are, and after months upon months of having a wall blocking you from seeing your future or being able to make any life decisions has been taxing. 

I suppose what is getting to me is the system of admissions itself. It's a perpetual cycle where no one is accepting offers because they are waitlisted elsewhere due to others not accepting their offers due to being waitlisted at other places. I think if anything it's not UT Dallas that is annoying me it's the fact that we have to put down a tuition deposit when we are not even sure about the decisions of other schools. Being in graduate school for 2-3 years and living off of loans or part time jobs is a stressful place to be and any money that can be saved, be it a tuition deposit or not, is money that could really help, especially if you end up moving for school. I understand that schools need to know that you're dedicated to attending but I feel like there should be two deadlines, one where you accept/decline and one that is for the deposit. That way you have the opportunity to hear back from other schools where you might have been waitlisted. I know it would take a lot of work but I think it would be doable. What do you think?

Totally agree with you!  It definitely sucks not knowing and having other schools pressuring you and the financial considerations are huge!  The whole process can be crazy and I totally understand the stress levels and trying to pick and choose!

They should definitely streamline it a bit but pros and cons to both setups!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2017 at 1:07 PM, lindsay359 said:

Thank you! You guys have been so helpful. I haven't committed to UT Dallas yet but it is one of my top choices. I am just trying to account for all the costs. Living in Dallas is a little more expensive than my current city. 

I realize I am late to the party here, but Thought I'd share a few thoughts. My DD started attending last year and did receive in state tuition. However, after she accepted her offer, she received additional funding from the university.....$1000 from the department and $5000 in grant money and work study as well. That really helped. She then had a quick application for summer school (using her previous FAFSA) and got $2100 for summer school. Of course, we don't know know what she'll get for next year.  I strongly encourage you to submit FAFSA.

My daughter does live in Kessler Park (near Bishop Arts). Not too far from school and if you are interested in medical, it can help set you up for medical practicum in the south area. 

Good Luck!

Edited by Kangamom

5 hours ago, speechietx said:

According to the results page those offered admissions do not have a deadline to respond. For those who have been offered admissions, is there really no specific date?

My daughter was accepted in late Jan or early Feb (don't remember) and was given an April 15 deadline. She actually accepted earlier than that because her other top school gave an April 1 deadline, so once the decision was made to decline that school she accepted Dalllas. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I am applying to UTD for the Spring 2018 semester and I have a few questions and the spring application process:

Does UTD do rolling admissions for the spring semester? If so, does submitting your application early increase your chances of getting in? 

When do spring applicants start to hear back from from UTD? 

Is there any other valuable information I should know about when applying to UTD?

Thank you SO much!!

• 2 weeks later...
On May 24, 2017 at 1:58 PM, happy222 said:

Hi all! I am applying to UTD for the Spring 2018 semester and I have a few questions and the spring application process:

Does UTD do rolling admissions for the spring semester? If so, does submitting your application early increase your chances of getting in? 

When do spring applicants start to hear back from from UTD? 

Is there any other valuable information I should know about when applying to UTD?

Thank you SO much!!

I'm not sure about rolling admissions for the spring semester, but the earlier you get your application in seems to always be in better interest. I would not say that it raises your chances, but for UTD they accept those who they feel are qualified with their scores/gpa/resume/etc. Not necessarily a hard-limit on number of spots. 
Hope this helps a little bit, good luck! :)

• 4 months later...