Pullman, WA

dirkduck

Yay, a thread about Pullman! I'm thinking about attending WSU, and have liked most of what I've heard about Pullman so far. I haven't visited yet, so I can't say much about it myself.

However, I can point you towards some useful links I found about Pullman:

Town Web Page: http://www.pullman-wa.gov/

Pullman Transit (local buses, free to WSU students): http://www.pullmantransit.com/

Pullman/Moscow Airport: http://www.pullman-wa.gov/airport/

On Campus Housing Information from WSU: http://www.livingat.wsu.edu/hdrl/future ... urApts.htm

Off Campus Housing Information from WSU: http://offcampusliving.wsu.edu/Content/ ... 0sheet.pdf

I've heard from a former WSU student that DABCO is a good rental company.

Any thoughts on the area?

I went to undergrad there and I LOVED it. Pullman is such an awesome college town, it's so hard not to be drawn into the school spirit and community vibe of the place. I wrote out a massively long PM to kahlan_amnell about WSU and Pullman, and I can forward it to you if you'd like.

Or feel free to ask me any questions you have!!

wickedcurves, would you consider doing a cut & paste and posting all the info about Pullman for everyone now and in the future?

Thanks,

rising_star

Yeah, that would be a good idea, the info wickedcurves sent me was really helpful, and others should see it!

wickedcurves, would you consider doing a cut & paste and posting all the info about Pullman for everyone now and in the future?

Thanks,

rising_star

No problem. It's suuuuuuuuuuuper long and rambling, but here goes! :)

----------

OK well, I went to WSU for undergrad, so I can't speak too much about what graduate studies are like there. The graduate population is significantly less than the undergrad pop -- about 2,000 students compared to 16,000 students. But grad students still have a powerful voice on campus, I can promise you that. For example, recently when I was still a student there, there was a student vote for whether fees should be raised a few dollars a semester to increase the number of city buses and bus routes (WSU students use the bus for "free" by showing student ID). In order for the new fee to pass, the majority of undergrads AND grads had to vote "yes." An overwhelming majority of the 16,000 undergrads voted yes, but the majority of the 2,000 grads voted no, so the new bus routes didn't go into effect. I remember undergrads being quite upset over the power the grad students had in this particular instance, when they comprised such a small part of the population, in comparison. But hey, it goes to show WSU cares about making sure the grad students have a say in what goes on around campus, even if there's not too many of them!

So here's some info about the town:

Pullman, WA is a small town in the middle of nowhere. Where are you from? I'm an L.A. native, so it was a completely different world to me. Pullman is in the southeast corner of Washington, right on the Idaho border. The population is probably around 25,000 people or so, most of which are students and practically all of whom depend on the university's presence in the town to survive. So if you stay in Pullman during Spring Break ever, it's like a ghost town. The closest "big" WA city is Spokane, about 80 miles north. Seattle is a 5 hour drive west, and Portland is about the same distance, too. Pullman itself is totally surrounded by rolling wheat fields and hardly any trees and if you've never visited Eastern Washington, forget everything you think you know about WA based on Seattle, because Eastern Washington might as well be a different state. Summers are hot (several 100 degree days in a row isn't unusual in July), but it's not humid and the air is as clean as can possibly be, so the heat is never stifling or sticky. Winters are cold. Probably not by Midwest standards, as the temperatures in the coldest parts of winter usually hover around the 20-degree mark, but it can get to sub-zero temperatures (it was -8 one year when I was there, but that was a fluke). It does snow a fair amount, and the weather is totally unpredictable (so it can rain, hail, snow and be clear and sunny all in one day). It snowed in June this past year! But that's also somewhat a fluke.

OK so all of that probably sounds totally unappealing, right? But the fact is, all of it is actually really charming. WSU and Pullman has one of the fiercest senses of community you'll ever find, and it's a true college town with a ton of passion for the school. Everyone is friendly beyond belief, from the students, to the faculty, to the local residents. With very, very few exceptions, everyone is there because they WANT to be. WSU may not have the brand-name appeal of our cross-state rivals University of Washington, but WSU is a fallback school for hardly anybody who winds up attending. Believe me when I say Cougar pride runs deep! A lot of that has to do with the fact that the school is so secluded. People really become a tight-knit group because of that. And things like Pullman's crazy weather is part of the fun of going to school there, and you'll find that people have a great attitude about it all. The hot summers are an excuse to go to the nearby rivers and go cliff-diving, or camping or anything outdoorsy. The crazy winters are something everyone jokes about and even though people will complain when it's still snowing during Spring Break, you'll also find people hiking to the top of the wheat fields and hills (the town is FULL of hills, and you'll have super toned calves by the time you're done at school -- we call them Cougar Calves and joke that you can tell what year someone is by how defined their calves are) so they can snowboard, sled and ski down them. And the snow isn't nonstop, either. It'll snow for a week, then it will rain or be really sunny and everything will melt away for a week. And repeat. So it's really not unbearable at all (and that snowing in June thing I mentioned really was a fluke...just a few flakes out of nowhere that caught everyone off guard) and is kind of what makes the area so fun.

Also, Pullman is 8 miles from the Idaho border and from the University of Idaho. There are a lot of partnerships between the two schools, and being so close to another major university means that there's twice the amount of things to do. If you need big city shopping, you can go to Spokane (and those 80 miles fly by very, very quickly...it's a straight shot up the highway), or if your needs are serviced more simply, Moscow (next door, where University of Idaho is) was a strip-mall right next to the Washington border that has a Wal-Mart, Old Navy, Macy's, PacSun, Staples, Ross, and some other smaller stores, too. Moscow is also a small town, but it's slightly larger than Pullman and features a great little main street, and there's some surprisingly good coffee shops, restaurants, and wine bars scattered about. Pullman has a younger vibe to it, but both cities feel like an extension of each other, and students will hang out in both. There's a free bus that takes you in between the two, or the drive is only 15 minutes and zooms by as well.

So that's a bit about the area.

WSU's campus itself is really gorgeous. It's all brick and granite and glass, and looks really collegiate but sophisticated and modern. There's one main street that goes through the middle of campus (Stadium Way), and then a few smaller streets here and there but central campus is a pedestrian only and very cool. The Mall is the name of the main walkway, with the football stadium, library, and student union building on one side, and then the history/business/anthropology buildings on the other side. You'll always find people hanging out on the mall, free concerts going on, exhibits or displays, and lots of other random stuff. Really, campus is quite stunning. I'm sure I have tons of pictures if you ever want to see, and I'd be happy to share them with you. The library was one of my favorite spots on campus, and as a grad student, I imagine you'd spend a lot of time studying there! It's several floors built into a hill so the main level is the top level and on the roof is a grassy field that overlooks our football stadium and parts of town. Inside the library, the back walls are all glass windows and face out to a great view of our football stadium and practice fields, and there's cubicles that line the length of the windows for people to study. The library was definitely one of my favorite places to go.

I can't really speak for much beyond the English department, personally (although I know a bit here and there about other departments because I was a campus tour guide and office of admissions representative). I am confident in saying though that WSU piles resources onto its students, no matter the department. It's a school that truly cares about the successes of its students. We also recently got a new university president. At least among us student tour guides, President Elson Floyd really won us over when he joined the administration because you'll find him walking around campus, high-fiving students, sitting among us during basketball games and events, and really truly listening for our feedback. It's kind of a change from our last president who I don't think the students (or faculty) connected with very well.

Oh I should also mention that the cost of living in Pullman is VERY inexpensive and housing is generally easy to find. I lived in a brand new, spacious 1-bedroom apartment for $495 a month. I'm a serious student and I needed a quiet place to study, and it was perfect. There are, of course, the party apartment complexes, but there are lots of great places to live, too. If you do decide to go and what more tips on housing, let me know!

Alright I feel kind of dumb now because I didn't realize how much I typed until I just scrolled up to look. I don't even know if any of this helped you or if I've totally overwhelmed you with too much to read. But hopefully this helps even a little bit, and if you have any more specific questions, please let me know! It was my job to help new students before, and even though I've graduated, I'm still passionate about helping out a fellow Coug (even a prospective one)!

And here's some info on housing for the area:

---------

There's an area of Pullman very close to campus (just northwest of it, actually) that has a ton of large apartment complexes meant for students. Some aren't so great, though. I'd stay away from Campus Commons and the properties they own. CCN, CCS, and Cougar Crest are the names of their complexes, and they are some shady folks, in my opinion. The apartments are run down and old, overpriced, and SUPER loud. They're known for being "party friendly," and they advertise as such, so those are the party apartments. They get very loud and complaining about the noise will do nothing because that's the whole point of those apartments. Also, the only bar in that section of town is nestled between CCN and Cougar Crest, so it can get rowdy late at night sometimes, as well. I lived in CCN a couple years ago and the second my lease was up, I moved just a few minutes away to the Maple Valley apartments, which were cheaper, quieter, cleaner, newer, and much less shady.

The only problem is Maple Valley doesn't allow pets, however they are run by DABCO, and DABCO has some animal-friendly properties, including a brand new complex that just opened: http://www.dabcomgmt.com. Their apartment complexes are all cookie-cutter and look exactly the same, but they're not eyesores, so it's actually kind of nice, and all lumped into the same corner of town, with several bus stops on the road they're situated on. Also, because these are on the edge of town (but still very close to campus), there's much less noise than there would be in other areas. And, bonus, because of where they are situated along the bus routes, you can usually get a seat very comfortably, although it might be getting more crowded now that they've built another complex in the area. If you lived in CCN/CCS/Cougar Crest area, though, you'll find getting on the bus can be a hassle during peak times....with long lines and sardine-packed buses. I definitely recommend the DABCO apartments if you choose to go with apartments in that area. But I would recommend you get a second opinion because although I never had any problem with DABCO and enjoyed my time at the Maple Valley apartments, someone else may have a horror story that I got lucky and avoided. If you have LiveJournal, check out the WSU community: http://community.livejournal.com/wazzu and you can browse the tags for past entries where people have asked about housing (and other Pullman/WSU-related stuff)

Finally, keep in mind that the areas directly surrounding campus are, of course, mostly populated by students. If you want to be further away from the hubbub of that, you could always try living in the south side of town. That's the residential area where locals live, and there are usually some houses available for rent, or people looking for roommates in their houses. But bus routes are more difficult to come across in those areas, because of the families with cars who populate that side of town. Check out the Pullman Transit site to see where there are stops around town, though, if that's important to you. Anything on the Express 1, 2 or 3 lines will get you to campus quickly and often, with a bus coming by every 5-10 minutes during peak times. All the other lines tend to run every half hour or so and are usually more complicated.

The truth is you don't NEED a car in Pullman but if you think you'll go stir-crazy and want to get out of town, then it's definitely useful. Also, re: transportation, the nearest airport is a tiny regional one located in Pullman but flights book up very, very quickly for holidays/breaks, and prices can be very expensive, also. I flew out of there my freshman year because it was most convenient at the time, but there's an inexpensive, very comfortable and reliable bus service that takes people from campus to the terminal at the Spokane airport. The trip is an hour and a half and on a heated bus with TV screens and comfy seats, and flights out of Spokane are like half the cost of Pullman's flights and often less complicated since the planes going out Pullman are those small ones for like 50 people, and unless you're going to Seattle or something, you're going to have to switch planes at a major airport anyway.

----------

Alright, that's all I got for you right now! Obviously when I say ask me anything, I totally mean it. I can ramble on and on. Ask me whatever and I'll give you my honest answer!

The truth is you don't NEED a car in Pullman but if you think you'll go stir-crazy and want to get out of town, then it's definitely useful. Also, re: transportation, the nearest airport is a tiny regional one located in Pullman but flights book up very, very quickly for holidays/breaks, and prices can be very expensive, also. I flew out of there my freshman year because it was most convenient at the time, but there's an inexpensive, very comfortable and reliable bus service that takes people from campus to the terminal at the Spokane airport. The trip is an hour and a half and on a heated bus with TV screens and comfy seats, and flights out of Spokane are like half the cost of Pullman's flights and often less complicated since the planes going out Pullman are those small ones for like 50 people, and unless you're going to Seattle or something, you're going to have to switch planes at a major airport anyway.

Thanks for all the information! Good to know that the Spokane airport is cheaper, I was noticing flights to and from the Pullman airport were expensive. Is the the airport bus service you mentioned this one: http://www.wheatlandexpress.com/airportshuttle.html? Sounds good, but only leaving once per day except on Fridays is a bit limiting. Since they stop at places other than WSU I assume that they still run during WSU vacations?

I checked to see if there were any other airport shuttles from Spokane to Pullman and found All-Ways Transportation. It looks like they might be a shared ride sort of service, where the person traveling can determine what time they want to leave. Do you have any experience with that company, and if so is that how it works? In general, how would you recommend getting to the Spokane airport if you need to do so at a time other than when the bus goes there? Are there cab companies you would recommend that aren't outrageously expensive?

Also, thanks for pointing out the WSU LiveJournal community, I joined and will be taking a look at it. I have the same user name over at LiveJournal.

I should have added this to my last post, but I just thought of it.

When is a good time to try to find apartments? If I want to move into an apartment in August, when should I start looking? Do apartments get leased pretty far in advance?

Thanks for all the information! Good to know that the Spokane airport is cheaper, I was noticing flights to and from the Pullman airport were expensive. Is the the airport bus service you mentioned this one: http://www.wheatlandexpress.com/airportshuttle.html? Sounds good, but only leaving once per day except on Fridays is a bit limiting. Since they stop at places other than WSU I assume that they still run during WSU vacations?

I checked to see if there were any other airport shuttles from Spokane to Pullman and found All-Ways Transportation. It looks like they might be a shared ride sort of service, where the person traveling can determine what time they want to leave. Do you have any experience with that company, and if so is that how it works? In general, how would you recommend getting to the Spokane airport if you need to do so at a time other than when the bus goes there? Are there cab companies you would recommend that aren't outrageously expensive?

Also, thanks for pointing out the WSU LiveJournal community, I joined and will be taking a look at it. I have the same user name over at LiveJournal.

Wheatland Express is the bus service I was referring to, yup. Their schedule is kind of limited now, unfortunately...they used to have a morning and afternoon bus when I went there. But at the start and end of vacation periods where lots of students are going home for break, they typically add extra buses and times since they know schedules get pretty hairy. You might have to wait a few hours at the airport, but at least it's an option. The other towns the shuttle stops at is in Moscow, across the border where University of Idaho is, and then Colfax, which is a tiny town just a few miles north. Primarily though it's students who use the service but they do still run during vacation periods (except not on holidays). Just book your ticket in advance so they know they have at least one passenger aboard, and you'll be fine.

Another option is that there are tons of students from the Spokane area who go to WSU, and if you reach out and get to know people, you will usually be able to find someone who is willing to give someone a ride. A lot of times, for vacation periods, you'll see people posting notes on bulletin boards asking if anyone needs a ride and wants to split the gas cost. Often this is to go to Seattle, since it's a longer, more complicated trip, but I'm sure you could find people going to Spokane, too. The same goes for students at University of Idaho. You could use online communities like that WSU LiveJournal to try and find rides, too. People have done it a lot in the past.

I missed my bus to Spokane once and was forced to take a cab in order to make my flight home for Christmas. It was very stressful! And expensive. I mean, no 80 mile cab ride is going to be cheap. I think I paid $150. The local cabs all have flat rates for Spokane already established since some people definitely have to resort to that option. But keep in mind it is a small town, and there are only a few cab options. When I was a freshman, there were none in Pullman. By the end of my time there, though, there were a couple of cab companies established that really have been an awesome treat to have, even if only to get home safely after a night at the bar. But since there are very few cabs, reservations for a big trip like one to Spokane should definitely be made at least the day before. I got VERY lucky that I found a cab that one day to take me to the airport on such short notice.

Not gonna lie, travel takes some careful planning. But I flew back and forth between L.A. and Pullman or Spokane several times a year and always made it work. If you're creative and willing to be a little inconvenienced, you'll be fine.

I don't know anything about All-Ways Transportation, I'm sorry.

I should have added this to my last post, but I just thought of it.

When is a good time to try to find apartments? If I want to move into an apartment in August, when should I start looking? Do apartments get leased pretty far in advance?

I think people tend to arrange their leases around the end of the spring semester (April/May-ish) for the next year (that's just when people start giving up their leases or graduating or whatever and things become available), but I think especially with the new apartment complexes that have popped up, you probably wouldn't have a problem if you searched later on. I found my first apartment in a last-minute search at the end of July, and then the 2nd one I got in May. I would say there's enough housing to go around, and although searching as early as possible is best, I think you should be able to find something without too much difficulty, even if you don't sign a lease before May.

Wheatland Express is the bus service I was referring to, yup. Their schedule is kind of limited now, unfortunately...they used to have a morning and afternoon bus when I went there. But at the start and end of vacation periods where lots of students are going home for break, they typically add extra buses and times since they know schedules get pretty hairy. You might have to wait a few hours at the airport, but at least it's an option. The other towns the shuttle stops at is in Moscow, across the border where University of Idaho is, and then Colfax, which is a tiny town just a few miles north. Primarily though it's students who use the service but they do still run during vacation periods (except not on holidays). Just book your ticket in advance so they know they have at least one passenger aboard, and you'll be fine.

Another option is that there are tons of students from the Spokane area who go to WSU, and if you reach out and get to know people, you will usually be able to find someone who is willing to give someone a ride. A lot of times, for vacation periods, you'll see people posting notes on bulletin boards asking if anyone needs a ride and wants to split the gas cost. Often this is to go to Seattle, since it's a longer, more complicated trip, but I'm sure you could find people going to Spokane, too. The same goes for students at University of Idaho. You could use online communities like that WSU LiveJournal to try and find rides, too. People have done it a lot in the past.

I missed my bus to Spokane once and was forced to take a cab in order to make my flight home for Christmas. It was very stressful! And expensive. I mean, no 80 mile cab ride is going to be cheap. I think I paid $150. The local cabs all have flat rates for Spokane already established since some people definitely have to resort to that option. But keep in mind it is a small town, and there are only a few cab options. When I was a freshman, there were none in Pullman. By the end of my time there, though, there were a couple of cab companies established that really have been an awesome treat to have, even if only to get home safely after a night at the bar. But since there are very few cabs, reservations for a big trip like one to Spokane should definitely be made at least the day before. I got VERY lucky that I found a cab that one day to take me to the airport on such short notice.

Not gonna lie, travel takes some careful planning. But I flew back and forth between L.A. and Pullman or Spokane several times a year and always made it work. If you're creative and willing to be a little inconvenienced, you'll be fine.

I don't know anything about All-Ways Transportation, I'm sorry.

Thanks! I think that I could usually plan around a once a day bus, but I have some travel in mind for September that I'd need rather specific times to avoid missing classes on Thursday but still get where I'm going by early afternoon Friday.

I think people tend to arrange their leases around the end of the spring semester (April/May-ish) for the next year (that's just when people start giving up their leases or graduating or whatever and things become available), but I think especially with the new apartment complexes that have popped up, you probably wouldn't have a problem if you searched later on. I found my first apartment in a last-minute search at the end of July, and then the 2nd one I got in May. I would say there's enough housing to go around, and although searching as early as possible is best, I think you should be able to find something without too much difficulty, even if you don't sign a lease before May.

I might not be able to visit Pullman until June, maybe late May if I'm lucky. Good to know that I should still be able to find an apartment.

I've got another question about transportation. If you do end up flying into the Pullman airport, how do you get into town from there? Do any of the bus routes run to the airport?

No, but you can call a cab. Pullman is the size of a dot, so it won't cost very much at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that it looks like I can say for sure that I'm going to WSU, it looks like a lot of apartments in Pullman are already rented.

DABCO seems to have no more one bedroom apartments available in it's new pet friendly complex. There are two bedrooms there, or there is one more one bedroom available at their luxury rental. But that is available earlier than I can move, and it costs a lot more.

So, any other recommendations for good rental companies or apartment complexes?

Any thoughts on the following companies:

http://www.apartmentrentalsinc.com/

http://www.coughousing.com/

http://www.helenespropertyplace.com/

http://www.wilru.com/

Now that it looks like I can say for sure that I'm going to WSU, it looks like a lot of apartments in Pullman are already rented.

DABCO seems to have no more one bedroom apartments available in it's new pet friendly complex. There are two bedrooms there, or there is one more one bedroom available at their luxury rental. But that is available earlier than I can move, and it costs a lot more.

So, any other recommendations for good rental companies or apartment complexes?

Any thoughts on the following companies:

http://www.apartmentrentalsinc.com/

http://www.coughousing.com/

http://www.helenespropertyplace.com/

http://www.wilru.com/

I think GENERALLY, an apartment is an apartment is an apartment in Pullman. It's a college town, so most apartments aren't going to be pristine and utterly fantastic (unless it's a new complex, which is why I recommended Dabco...sad that they're full!!) but most won't downright suck, either. I think if you find a couple places you might be interested in, you should post your query about it on a WSU community online like Livejournal (http://community.livejournal.com/wazzu/) and see if anyone there has had experience with that rental company or complex.

But in general, I'd say most places are pretty even across the board. I would also check Craigslist if you haven't already.

Hi all,

My dad teaches at WSU, and I lived in Pullman from the ages of zero to 18. Here's a local impression: Pullman is pretty great. It is divided into four quadrants, which the locals refer to as hills: Sunnyside Hill, Military Hill, Pioneer Hill, and College Hill. Obviously WSU is on College Hill. Yes, Pullman is a very hilly place, but I think the hills are beautiful. Pullman has lots of great parks. Near campus is Rainey Park, and there is also Sunnyside Parks (the best and biggest), Lawsen Gardens (where everyone gets married), and many other smaller ones.

Flying into the Spokane airport is kind of a pain, but in addition to Wheatland Express, WSU has a shuttle service called Campus Link that goes to and from the Spokane airport twice a day. I'm not sure how expensive it is, but it's pretty convenient. If you've lived in a real city, Spokane will seem lame. (I thought that Spokane was a mega-huge, awesome city when I was a kid. This is mostly because I'd never been to a real city). Spokane has some decent shopping (especially when you compare it to Pullman), pretty good restaurants, cute wineries, and very nice parks.

Despite being in a small town, WSU has A LOT of international students and faculty. I think this really adds to the vibe of the town.

Pullman is little, but it is near a lot of great activities. Amazing rafting in Idaho and skiing in Montana are both within driving distance. Hell's Canyon in Idaho is nearby. If you want to go for a hike, you can drive twenty minutes away to Kammiak Butte, or forty-five minutes to Steptoe Butte. Seriously, there is a lot to do in the area. In late August, Pullman hosts the National Pea and Lentil Festival!! Think food booths, a beer garden downtown, a parade, and the world's largest bowl of lentil chili, served to you by someone dressed up in a giant lentil costume. How much more awesome can you get?

The weather in Pullman is also great. NO HUMIDITY EVER. Summers are a dream. Winter is really not that bad, but maybe that's because I've been living in the midwest for the past six years. The snow does not stay around very long, though it does rain sometimes and stay cold during normal winter months. However, you can just drive to the mountains and go skiing.

There is a bike path that will take you along the highway to Moscow, Idaho, about eight miles away. Moscow has a bit more culture going on than Pullman, including an AMAZING farmer's market from May to October, a little mall (Macys, Old Navy, Bed Bath and Beyond, and similar stores), great outdoor music in the summer (Rendezvous in the Park), and good coffeeshops and restaurants. Actually, Pullman has good coffeeshops and restaurants too. There is a decent bar in downtown Pullman called Rico's, and two shitty bars. Also, since you will be moving to Washington state, you will have access to a great selection of Washington/west coast wines and beers.

For practicalities, Pullman has a ShopKo (like a Walmart) and two big grocery stores. There are also plenty of places to buy food on campus. There is pretty much no where to buy clothing except a few odd boutiques downtown, or ShopKo. If you want to do some serious shopping, you'll need to go to Moscow or Spokane. Pullman has a very decent bus system for such a small town. Also, even though it is a small town, bands and theater go there. There is a large commitment within the community to bringing cultural events to the area. Elton John was there last year, actually. There is a movie theater, and there are a shitload of pizza delivery options. Tip: Pizza Pipeline is very good.

Oh, and the WSU creamery makes the BEST CHEESE EVER - it is called Couger Gold, a sharp cheddar, and it is only made at the WSU creamery. You can actually go to the creamery, which is called Ferdinand's, and watch them make it. Ferdinand's also has great ice cream.

There is a really disgusting bar on campus called Vallhalla that you should avoid. There are also some ok bars though, the student bookstore (the bookie) is really good, and there is a bar near campus called Pete's where a lot of faculty hang out. Pete's has cheap, good beer.

Housing will not cost you much. Don't live in generic, look-alike student housing if you can help it. Many other parts of the town have nice places to live, which are accessible by bus if you don't have a car.

Oh, WSU has BEARS! And you can go visit them! They live in outdoor cages on the road to the Pullman/Moscow airport.

What can I say, I love Pullman. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Flying into the Spokane airport is kind of a pain, but in addition to Wheatland Express, WSU has a shuttle service called Campus Link that goes to and from the Spokane airport twice a day. I'm not sure how expensive it is, but it's pretty convenient.

Where can I find more information about Campus Link? I Googled it and didn't find anything. I'm planning to fly into Spokane for a visit to WSU at the end of the month, and it would be great to know about other airport transportation options besides Wheatland Express, which only runs once a day except on Fridays.

Cool thread, lots of helpful information. I will be attending WSU's Applied Econ Masters program in the Fall. I will be moving up there from South Carolina. I love hiking/backpacking and the landscape around WSU looks amazing. You guys have gotten me excited to get out there.

I am looking at apartments right now and have come across both the following that seem reasonable. Anyone have any recommendations or information on either? I am looking for a pet friendly (cat), one bedroom apartment.

The Cougar Apartments - http://www.apartmentrentalsinc.com/Pullman_cougar.htm

The Aegis - http://www.apartmentrentalsinc.com/Pullman_aegis.htm

I'm not picky about old apartments as long as everything isn't broken. I am mainly looking for something quiet (I have to study a lot), safe (especially for my car), and close to the bus route.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Cool thread, lots of helpful information. I will be attending WSU's Applied Econ Masters program in the Fall. I will be moving up there from South Carolina. I love hiking/backpacking and the landscape around WSU looks amazing. You guys have gotten me excited to get out there.

I am looking at apartments right now and have come across both the following that seem reasonable. Anyone have any recommendations or information on either? I am looking for a pet friendly (cat), one bedroom apartment.

The Cougar Apartments - http://www.apartmentrentalsinc.com/Pullman_cougar.htm

The Aegis - http://www.apartmentrentalsinc.com/Pullman_aegis.htm

I'm not picky about old apartments as long as everything isn't broken. I am mainly looking for something quiet (I have to study a lot), safe (especially for my car), and close to the bus route.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I'm headed to Pullman at the end of the month to look at apartments, I'll post about what I find in case it would be helpful. I'm looking for the same sort of apartment that you are, pet friendly (for 2 cats), one bedroom, safe, near a bus route and quiet.

Oops, looks like Wheatland Express bought Campus Link since I last checked.

Two options:

http://www.wheatlandexpress.com/airportshuttle.html

and the trailways bus, which depending on your time to/from the airport is often more convenient.

http://www.northwesterntrailways.com/

Use the Spokane/Lewiston/Boise line:

http://www.northwesterntrailways.com/Cu ... fault.aspx

I can vouch that Cougar Gold is the best cheese made in the US, and perhaps the world :)

I went to undergrad in Walla Walla and made several trips to Pullman/Moscow over the years. My senior year I dated a girl whose parents were professors at U Idaho; she'd lived in Moscow since she was 5 and made for a good tour guide ;) Pullman's a wonderful place if you like small towns, and even if you don't it just may grow on you. I would recommend a car though. It's definitely do-able without one, but it's such a nice convenience you'll love having one. Moscow is not within walking distance, but with a car you can get there any time you want and it's a nice town too. A car also allows you to go to Spokane, Lewiston, or Coeur d'Alene (or even Walla Walla ;) for a fun day trip and to go camping or try other outdoor activities in the area. Housing is cheap and the presence of two major universities within 8 miles of each other guarantees a good amount of culture gets shipped in.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from a visit to Pullman.

I really liked it there. It seems like a great town.

I'm about to go traveling again, so I'll give you a quick rundown of the apartments I looked at.

Helene's Property Place

-230 Anthony: Apartments were quite dated, especially on the second floor. Looked like they were from the 70s with shag carpet, odd bathroom wallpaper, and gold swirley mirrored walls.

Apartment Rentals

-Valley: It was a nice apartment, above street level though on the first floor, and got lots of light.

-205 (on military hill): This was my second choice apartment, top floor, lots of light, indoor staircase.

Coug:

-Only had one apartment, it was on the first level. It looked nice, but cost hundreds more than the others and had a high pet deposit and pet rent.

Glendimer:

The apartment company I'm going to be renting from. They had lots of places available, no specific pet rent or pet deposit, though part of the deposit is non-refundable due to pets. Lowest rent among those I looked at. Friendly helpful manager. If you get an apartment on Ann Street on the top level you'll have a great view, and we might be neighbors. 27 Ann Street was available, as was another top level apartment in another building.

Pullman has lots of nice looking restaurants, and the ones I tried were good.

I can confirm that Cougar Gold cheese and Ferdinand's ice cream are tasty.

That's all, have to run now. Hope this helps!