Melbourne, Australia

lindsey10

Oh that's fabulous!

I suppose the most pertinent issue right now is housing. I know Melbourne is a really expensive city to live in (?). I have a housing budget of $800-$1000 per month (firm maximum) and haven't had a lot of luck finding even a studio for that much. I have read the city is pretty connected with public transportation so in the beginning the neighborhood and proximity to campus aren't as important as price. Any suggestions on getting started?

The second question is more basic...do you like Melbourne? Is it a friendly city? Pros and cons more generally?

Thanks a lot!

Melbourne is indeed an expensive city to live in. I assume you'll be attending the University of Melbourne. It's unlikely that you'll be able to find a nice 1br/studio close to uni for $1k/month. If you'd like to live close to uni then your best bet would be to share a place with housemates. I have a friend who lives 5 minutes walk from uni and shares a place with two other housemates. He's paying $720/month with water and gas included. If you're happy to do something similar then it might be best to find short term accommodation in Melbourne and look for a place with housemates once you get here. People are often looking for a housemate to fill a vacancy, gumtree is a great place to start searching. If you really don't want to live with housemates then consider living further away from uni. Most students don't live close to campus and instead travel to uni using public transport, by catching a train to the city and then hopping on a tram which will take you straight to university.

Melbourne's a vibrant large city with a very multicultural population open to people of all races. There's always a lot to do and see, and there's a wide variety of restaurants with food from many different cultures. Although the weather can be chaotic (Melbourne's known for having all 4 seasons of weather in a single day), we get mild winters (never snows) and moderate summers (although there are often a few days a year when it gets very hot). Melbourne's a truly fantastic city to live in, and I think you'll enjoy your time here immensely!

• 4 years later...

Let's resurrect this thread :D Does anyone plan on applying to Melbourne universities or is there a Melbournian on this forum? I've had the pleasure of doing my B.A. at Monash University (got an Advanced Diploma from RMIT University as well), and I'm considering getting my Masters at the University of Melbourne. I heart the city, my local Australian friends (mates) and how easy it is to get around. If you're heading down under, I'd love to hear from you.