Studying for the GRE Thread

Tupamaros

Started: April 2013

Goal scores: V170 Q170

Practice test scores: 1st - V158 Q154

Previous GRE scores: none

GRE test date: late August

Materials: Barrons GRE, Princeton GRE, Barrons essential words, Cliffnotes math review

I haven't gone through any of the study materials yet. How reasonable is it to expect a +12 verbal increase and +16 quantitative increase by late August?

Started: April 2013

Goal scores: V170 Q170

Practice test scores: 1st - V158 Q154

Previous GRE scores: none

GRE test date: late August

Materials: Barrons GRE, Princeton GRE, Barrons essential words, Cliffnotes math review

I haven't gone through any of the study materials yet. How reasonable is it to expect a +12 verbal increase and +16 quantitative increase by late August?

That's a hard question. I don't know how much you studied for the practice test you took, but I'd say it's not a bad starting point. It all depends on how easily you can learn the concepts tested and how fast you can adapt to the test's time constraints. If you really want to ace the GRE, make sure you get the scores you want on three consecutive practice tests.  

Also, I highly recommend the Manhattan Strategy guides for the quant section. They are simply the best out there. The Princeton Review, on the other hand, is pretty solid for the verbal section. 

Edited by Imago

That's a hard question. I don't know how much you studied for the practice test you took, but I'd say it's not a bad starting point. It all depends on how easily you can learn the concepts tested and how fast you can adapt to the test's time constraints. If you really want to ace the GRE, make sure you get the scores you want on three consecutive practice tests.  

Also, I highly recommend the Manhattan Strategy guides for the quant section. They are simply the best out there. The Princeton Review, on the other hand, is pretty solid for the verbal section. 

Thanks! I didn't do any studying for the practice test. I wanted a very raw score to start with. I also tend to finish standardized tests in ample time, so I'm not too worried about that. It seemed to me that it was the type of questions that they asked. I'll look into the Manhattan study guides. I'm also getting the 5lb book of practice problems.

If I were to buy Manhattan's 8 book study package plus the 5lb book of practice problems, would that be overkill or is that a good amount of material to study from?

I think the 5lb book would be a great one to get. And as others have said, the Manhattan's 8 book series seems to be a good reference material. I think it depends on what sections you're weak in. 

Edited by keawood

If I were to buy Manhattan's 8 book study package plus the 5lb book of practice problems, would that be overkill or is that a good amount of material to study from?

They are exactly what I'm using. It would not be overkill, for the simple reason that the strategy guides don't offer enough practice problems in my view. If an individual is a math whizz, the strategy guides would be fine, just to get them used to the test etc. But I think the guides and 5lb book complement each other well. The only issue is that it's a LOT of material to cover. You could cover PR or Barron's in no time, but they are quite general. Manhattan's guides take longer because of the depth they go into, and the 5lb book will be slow work also. At the end of it though, if you have the time, I've no doubt Manhatten will improve your score more.

Started: mid March 2013

Goal scores: V160 Q170

Practice test scores: 1st - V:149-154 Q160-165 (Barron's online prep diagnostic)

2nd - V:155 Q162 AW: 4.0 and 4.5 (Princeton review free online test)

Previous GRE scores: V144 Q160

GRE test date: 4th May 2013

Materials: RC: Manhatten Strategy Guides 

TC/SE: Barron's New GRE 19th edition, Majortest.com, Princeton review 1014, practice set from varies online resources (blog....)

AW: Manhatten Strategy Guides, GRE blogs, my working experience

Q: Barron's GRE math workbook, Barron's online prep, Manhatten Strategy Guides hard section

i think it is time to update my progress:

Practice test scores:

Barron's (17-18 Apr) practice test (online prep)

V:155-160

Kaplan (19 Apr)

V: 152, Q: 168 (first time to meet 320)

Manhattan (22 - 25 Apr)

1st: Q164, V: 158

2nd: Q 166, V: 162

3rd: Q 166, V: 157

PowerPrep II (1st set) (25 Apr)

Q: 167 V: 155

I hope my progress can bolster the motivation of the multiple time takers.

Q: the improvement, if really considered a significant change, is by practicing over and over again (manhattan). IMHO i think manhattan Q is a bit more difficult than Magoosh, but then to be fair i will have a more detail evaluation after my exam on this Sat. Just one thing to add: Barron's Q is for basic of basic. if you are aiming for >155 then just forget about Barron's quant practice.

V: except expanding the vocab, i use Barron's six practice test and their online prep majorly. they focus on obscure vocabulary, and the RC is really good in the questions setting and the comprehensiveness and structure of the passage is parallel to the one in the 1st set of powerprep. I would recommend Barron as your Verbal prep.

Less than a week for the exam. in the time being i will try to:

1. complete the Barron six practice test

2. complete the remaining 3 Manhattan practice test

3. complete the 2nd set of PowerPrep II practice test

And I think to try to adjust your expected score is another important step in your prep too. As I think Q 170 is beyond my reach, so then i will try to secure a higher V score to obtain the minimum 320. If I keep insisting on getting Q 170 then I will be too stressed out and that is the last thing you want for exam preparation and also the exam itself. of course i will keep up with that and maybe i can get the targeted prefect score on the test day? who knows :P

Practice test scores:

Kaplan (19 Apr)

Manhattan (22 - 25 Apr)

Q: the improvement, if really considered a significant change, is by practicing over and over again (manhattan). IMHO i think manhattan Q is a bit more difficult than Magoosh, but then to be fair i will have a more detail evaluation after my exam on this Sat. Just one thing to add: Barron's Q is for basic of basic. if you are aiming for >155 then just forget about Barron's quant practice.

V: except expanding the vocab, i use Barron's six practice test and their online prep majorly. they focus on obscure vocabulary, and the RC is really good in the questions setting and the comprehensiveness and structure of the passage is parallel to the one in the 1st set of powerprep. I would recommend Barron as your Verbal prep.

And I think to try to adjust your expected score is another important step in your prep too. As I think Q 170 is beyond my reach, so then i will try to secure a higher V score to obtain the minimum 320. If I keep insisting on getting Q 170 then I will be too stressed out and that is the last thing you want for exam preparation and also the exam itself. of course i will keep up with that and maybe i can get the targeted prefect score on the test day? who knows :P

Good post and best of luck on test day, that looks like very good improvement so hopefull all goes well.

I agree with you on Barron's. I used it for my first test and felt on test day I was unprepared. It only provides the bare minimum really on the Quant, though it's fine for Verbal I think.

When you say Manhattan is harder than Magoosh, are you merely referencing the 3rd (hard) section at the end of each guide, or the guides generally, the 5lb book etc? If it is just the hard section, I'm now sure how you could see that improvement by going over and over the same set of questions in practice?

Good post and best of luck on test day, that looks like very good improvement so hopefull all goes well.

I agree with you on Barron's. I used it for my first test and felt on test day I was unprepared. It only provides the bare minimum really on the Quant, though it's fine for Verbal I think.

When you say Manhattan is harder than Magoosh, are you merely referencing the 3rd (hard) section at the end of each guide, or the guides generally, the 5lb book etc? If it is just the hard section, I'm now sure how you could see that improvement by going over and over the same set of questions in practice?

oh about the Manhanttan Quant part, i am talking about the questions in the practice test set. the hard section in their strategy guide is not difficult enough for me as challenge. I don't have the 5lb book so i can't comment on that.

btw, for me, the "difficulties" is majorly due to the time limit - that said if i am given 40 minutes instead of 35 minutes i can best the score. but then time is time, i won't say this and that, so i concede the fact that i am not good enough for a 99% percentile. 

and actually the improvement, that might be reflecting in the practice test score, is because i have accustomed the question format and the traps (like hour to minutes...). as an asian student myself, the maths is not a matter of I-can't-compute but the matter of examination skills. thus i consider this is useful to fellow exam takers as well - it is very important to master the examination skills for GRE.

Practice test scores:

Kaplan (19 Apr)

Manhattan (22 - 25 Apr)

Very very nice.

I'd ask you, In Manhattan when you got 166Q. How many correct answers you made? out of 40.

with regards,

Very very nice.

I'd ask you, In Manhattan when you got 166Q. How many correct answers you made? out of 40.

with regards,

the 1st 166, in 1st part Q is 20/20, 2nd part is 14/20 - total 6 mistakes

the 2nd 166, 1st part Q is 17/20, 2nd part is 16/20 - total 7 mistakes

Very very nice.

with regards,

I would note, I have read that the Manhattan tests have different no. of answers correct for different scores, relative to the same scores with ETS/Powerprep. Read that on the Manhattan forum if I recall.

I would note, I have read that the Manhattan tests have different no. of answers correct for different scores, relative to the same scores with ETS/Powerprep. Read that on the Manhattan forum if I recall.

agree. this topic was on this forum as well.

170Q 168V took it in Feb.  I actually kind of enjoyed preparing for and taking the exam.  

Hi, you can provide more help and advice on materials as well as tactics.

Here's a graph with the average GRE scores from top political science programs (data from 2010, using the old scale): http://i.imgur.com/frZpf27.png

A friend of mine was admitted into UCLA with a 155 score on quant (700 in the old scale). Although the GRE is only but a part of your application, it doesn't seem that difficult to have a chance in a top program after all.  

Started: May 2013 Goal scores: V170 Q155 A5.0+ Practice test scores: none, the Magoosh estimates me at V163-169 and Q158-163 Previous GRE scores: none GRE test date: August 22 Materials: Magoosh premium online, Magoosh Maths ebook, official GRE maths books.   Right now I am trying to get my head back into maths, I haven't taken it in 7 years :/ Used to be good at it but that's a long time! Once I can get through all the basic concepts for easy questions I'll buy the Manhattan 5lb book. Finding that I learn best by just working through examples rather than 'studying'. Just hope that 3 months is enough to basically get from nothing to a Q155. Also discovering that Brits and Americans use certain vocab in quite different contexts which is making the verbal prep interesting! So I am hoping to work hard on maths until mid-July and then just run every practice test in existence to get accustomed to the computerised system (I am used to writing essays by hand so 4.5 hours at a computer is the biggest challenge for me). (Aside from not being allowed to take food into the room. Seriously?) Honestly I'm having quite a lot of fun with my prep. Being a music performance major, it's a lovely break from practising :)

I don't recommend this book for those who are comfortable with math, but the Cliff Notes, "Math Review for Standardized Tests," is an excellent place to start if you haven't touched math in years! By the old GRE scale just going through this book alone should get you somewhere in the 600s. Of course, everyone wants to be in the 700s, so you need to do more than just this book. 

• 2 weeks later...

Took my third practice test today. Updating my progress:

Started: March 2013

Goal scores: V165 Q160

Practice test scores: 1st - V153 Q151; 2nd - V158 Q151; 3rd - V162 Q148

Previous GRE scores: V160 Q145

GRE test date: TBD

Materials: Manhattan Strategy Guides & Magoosh's Premium Package

I've hit a plateau and don't know what to do now. Any advice from those of you who raised your quant scores significantly? 

Started: May 2013
Goal scores: V168+ Q170
Practice test scores: V158 Q168 (Barron's diagnostic. Don't know how reliable this is, but it's significantly lower than my SAT percentiles from back in the day. Not good.)
Previous GRE scores: N/A
GRE test date: June 22
Materials: Barron's, ETS book, Manhattan guides

Anyone have tips for improving the reading comprehension section of the verbal? The questions are really tricky.

I have the GRE Test coming up in 2 weeks and I’ve gotten to an acceptable level of writing for the AWA and my main focus has been to really boost my math score. I am not as worried about studying for the verbal section as most engineering schools don’t pay attention to that score but I also don’t want it to be lower than a 150. I got a 142 on the practice test for verbal and I want to at least raise that by 8 points. I don’t really have the time to sit around reading The Economist and The New Yorker. I have been looking over the Kaplan 500 flashcards but my question is will it be a total waste of time without context? Aside from flash cards is there any other quick study methods to up my verbal? Should I just focus on practicing just the comprehension and take the hit for the fill in the blank section? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you

I have the GRE Test coming up in 2 weeks and I’ve gotten to an acceptable level of writing for the AWA and my main focus has been to really boost my math score. I am not as worried about studying for the verbal section as most engineering schools don’t pay attention to that score but I also don’t want it to be lower than a 150. I got a 142 on the practice test for verbal and I want to at least raise that by 8 points. I don’t really have the time to sit around reading The Economist and The New Yorker. I have been looking over the Kaplan 500 flashcards but my question is will it be a total waste of time without context? Aside from flash cards is there any other quick study methods to up my verbal? Should I just focus on practicing just the comprehension and take the hit for the fill in the blank section? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you

I think flashcards without context are still okay. It's good to think of a sentence that you would use each word in, as well.

If I only have 2 weeks, I would take my flashcards with me everywhere, and study whenever waiting in line, for a class, on a short break, etc. Also, if you have the Manhattan 5lb book of GRE problems, I would go through the verbal section again. I'm finding it very useful for picking out trick answers.

Hey guys! I didn't think this warranted its own thread, so I thought I'd ask here - can you take the paper-based test even if a computer based test is available? I think I'd do much, much better taking the test on paper, and I can make the paper test dates (also, there's a paper testing center on campus, where the nearest computer testing center is a 20 minute drive away).

Thanks!

Edited by greenwintermints

Hey,

the only downfall to PBT version is that You can only take it three times a year in October, November, and February. Hope it helps!

I have a password for a GRE course.  I entered for a free class giveaway but since I found out I got accepted into the MBA program of my choice, I don't need to retake.  PM me if you want the password.