Energy and Envt Chem VS Organic Chem

shambhavi4

Hi,

I'm not sure how one writes in a forum such as this, but I think i'l just ge to the point. I appied for graduate studies in Chem for this year and I've actually managed to get a few offers! The main ones I am considering are Clemson University and the University of Wyoming. While Clemson offers me organic chemistry, Wyoming is focussing on energy and the environment. I'm interested in both but I feel a bit lost when it comes to the future. Which option will boom in the near future or have the best prospects. I'd rather get a PhD in something that'll be at the forefront in couple years time!

So maybe you guys could give me some perspective on this!

Thanks

To me, those sound like widely divergent options. But that's mostly because "organic chemistry" is a huge and amorphous area.

What area of Organic Chemistry is Clemson offering? Total Synthesis? Green Chemistry? Catalysis? Bio-organic?

What types of work would you be doing at Wyoming?

Trying to pick an area based on future prospects (and you don't mention whether you care about future prospects in academia or industry or government research, or in what part of the world) rather than your research interests is rarely the best idea. 

Have you identified a few specific faculty at each university that you're considering working for? Looked at what projects you'd be doing, how they fit your interests and skillset?

At Clemson I've told them I'm interested in bio-organic and natural product synthesis and mentioned the professors I'd like to work with.

Although this area is my preferred choice I wonder about job opportunities ater (academic and industry). Almost all the research I've done seems to be saying medicinal chemistry and it's related subjects have too many qualified candidates and not enough opportunities.

Honestly, if organic is your preferred choice I would just go with it.  Yes, a lot of people are doing medical based research right now, so there will be competition.  On the other hand, so many people are doing it because there is need and funding at the moment.  If you have any connections in the industry to pharmaceutical companies, there's likely going to be something you can do, though from what I hear most actual synthesis is being outsourced right now.  On the environmental side, there should be a decent demand for a while, but you'll still have competition from other fields (environmental sciences, chemical engineering, physics, etc.).  You have to think about what your focus would be there, too: working in environmental monitoring, remediation, policy, or energy will all lead you to different opportunities and employers.