NYU MS Global Affairs

Hey Guys,

Once again... congrats!

Ross17, I'm actually from Jersey and have a few friends that are currently, and have gone through Seton Hall's program. I have yet to hear anything negative about it . I hear it's amazing, and everyone seems happy with their decision in going there. That being said, it really depends on what route you want to take after obtaining your masters.

Vocallycool, I am looking to focus on the private sector concentration. I know that the tuition is ridiculous :-P I'm also about 16k in debt from undergrad. I just feel that it'd be worth it in the long run.

Still haven't heard back from anywhere else. The only school that I can see myself choosing over nyu would be the london school of econ. But until I hear back from them... nyu it is!

Thanks for your input Cpinda85! I am planning on working in the intel. community, but I'm not necessarily looking to work in gov't my whole life. Are you friends at Seton Hall finding jobs? I like the program because it seems like its got an identity and a little more autonomy than NYU's program which is part of the larger SCPS, but I could be wrong. Where else did you apply?

No problem! One of the girls I know that is currently in the program is not working as far as I know... But, I do have a friend that graduated from the program and is now working for USAID. Seton Hall's program (from my point of view) has really established itself as (and again, this is only my point of view) an "elite" program.

As for the other schools I applied to:

New School

Fordham

University of Toronto

University of Denver

London School of Econ.

Georgetown

The only reason that I didn't apply to Seton Hall was because I'm a Jersey guy born and raised (not the fist pumping type) and while I really did want to stay close, I wanted to get out of the state. Hence NYU.

Hopefully this helped you in your decision!

Thanks for your input Cpinda85! I am planning on working in the intel. community, but I'm not necessarily looking to work in gov't my whole life. Are you friends at Seton Hall finding jobs? I like the program because it seems like its got an identity and a little more autonomy than NYU's program which is part of the larger SCPS, but I could be wrong. Where else did you apply?

I am finding this forum super helpful! I just received a phone call from the New School, and I was accepted into their MA International Affairs with a 20% tuition scholarship. YAY! Now I just need to hear back from NYU on funding.

NYU MS Global Affairs vs New School MA International Affairs...what to do?! I guess I'll have to visit the campuses...any ideas/suggestions?

• 3 months later...

Congrats to everyone that was accepted!

What concentration are you most interested in? What are your thoughts on the program?

My main concern is the tuition. I have no clue how I am going to pay 16k a semester when I already owe close to 35k from undergrad. -_-. I'll be in debt for the rest of my life! I mean how much are you willing to pay to have NYU on your resume? lol

i am considering going to this school and this is my main concern. i checked the website and i didn't see any assistantships whatsoever. does anyone know if there are other opportunities for grad students for global affairs? thanks!

• 7 months later...

Hi, I want to bump this topic. I am curious if anyone here has applied for the MSGA program for fall of 2012. I am trying to prepare for a phone interview that should be scheduled for this week.

Any advice and input would be really great!

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone apply to this program for Fall 2013?

I have applied and been accepted for fall 2013. I have also been accepted to a few other schools. After seeing the price tag that is attached to NYU SCPS I am glad I don't have to pay anything out of pocket. What is really making me ify on NYU SCPS is the bad reviews I keep seeing about the school. In short, most reviews state, NYU SCPS is just a scheme the school use to drain money out of desperate students who seek a NYU title on their resume. Perhaps that is why there is no information on funding (i.e scholarships etc). One wonders why the school has two International Relations program? One you need the GRE to get in and the other you don't? would NYU SCPS Global Affairs graduates qualify for the same job as NYU GSAS International Relations graduates? Probably not... just my opinion 

I have applied and been accepted for fall 2013. I have also been accepted to a few other schools. After seeing the price tag that is attached to NYU SCPS I am glad I don't have to pay anything out of pocket. What is really making me ify on NYU SCPS is the bad reviews I keep seeing about the school. In short, most reviews state, NYU SCPS is just a scheme the school use to drain money out of desperate students who seek a NYU title on their resume. Perhaps that is why there is no information on funding (i.e scholarships etc). One wonders why the school has two International Relations program? One you need the GRE to get in and the other you don't? would NYU SCPS Global Affairs graduates qualify for the same job as NYU GSAS International Relations graduates? Probably not... just my opinion 

Hey,

So I've been accepted too, but the catch is that I've been accepted into the GSAS MA International Relations program as well. I believe the latter is better. Your thoughts?

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello,

I Got accepted into NYU MS Global Affairs and The New School MA in International Affairs. since the MS Global Affairs is relatively new, and i read a lot here about it. Do you still recommend me going through, or should i switch to the new schoo? i didn't apply to the MA in International Relations at NYU because i don't have GRE

thank you,

• 8 months later...

"One wonders why the school has two International Relations program? One you need the GRE to get in and the other you don't?"

Yep, that's the most baffling thing. Has anyone reached out to admissions folks at NYU to clear this up? The website and the ambiguity turned me off applying, even though a good school in NY would seem like a perfect fit for most IR aspirants.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I noticed that the thread is from 2009 but I would appreciate it if I could get some information regarding M.S. in Global Affairs. I noticed that some of you were accepted into the program. Did you end up taking it? How was your experience?

I made the cut for an interview for a scholarship programme for international students and I gave the interview a little more than a week ago. I am yet to receive a response from the Committee. 

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Vida

• 1 year later...
On 4/15/2016 at 7:49 AM, vidabawlte said:

Hi everyone,

I noticed that the thread is from 2009 but I would appreciate it if I could get some information regarding M.S. in Global Affairs. I noticed that some of you were accepted into the program. Did you end up taking it? How was your experience?

I made the cut for an interview for a scholarship programme for international students and I gave the interview a little more than a week ago. I am yet to receive a response from the Committee. 

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Vida

Hi!

I noticed that you applied as an international student. Did you take the TOELf or the English Language Assessment test NYU provides? If so, is it hard?