Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Mary1972

What's the purpose behind knowing someone edited their post?

8 posts in this topic

Q. What's the purpose behind knowing someone edited their post?  

A.  None.

Ask yourself what difference it makes, other than the forum branding the comment with something akin to the Scarlet Letter.  There's even a little symbol at the front: a triangle with an exclamation point inside.  Caution!  Warning!  Beware!  

Ask yourself what purpose does it serve?  Maybe the only thing the person did was correct a misspelled word.  But they edited.  Oh boy!  Of course you don't know what they did.  But at least you know they did something.  Thank goodness!

What's next in the forum admin world?  How about if you edit twice, they stick you with one of those biohazard symbols.  In full color.  Danger: Toxic Post Above !!!

Okay...maybe you significantly altered the text for one devious reason or another.  Yes, this makes you bad.  Very bad.  However, who knows what you changed and how much?  If a revisiting poster has some idea, they can call that edit on the carpet.  Ostensibly with some details.  Now that would mean something.  

As is, the edit tag serves absolutely no useful purpose.  None.  In fact quite the opposite.  Get rid of it.

VITAL UPDATE:  In the interest of disclosure, after submitting this post I decided to add a comma after "As is" on line twelve.

Edited by Mary1972

On this forum? No idea. I'm new and I don't know the culture very well. I also assume people behave themselves here and don't engage in bickering over politics or other controversies.

On most forums I've been on, people will write something, others will respond to that original post, and the original poster (OP) will edit their post in such a way that it makes themselves look better and others look like rabid over-reactors. Now, that's not saying these OPs are editing with malice aforethought. I believe they're editing because they regret the comment, or the comment wasn't interpreted the way they meant it to be, or they've changed their mind about the original post. However, without the "edited" tag, people coming to the thread late will wonder what's wrong with the folks who responded to the original comment if all they see is the one that's been edited with no knowledge that it has been edited.

Wow, that's quite a post for your second one here. 

Especially for something that could have been asked in a much more polite fashion publicly, or via a PM to one of the moderators without making a big deal out of it. 

As to the edited tag- it's been an integrated option in every forum package I've ever worked with, and in the last 12 years, I don't think I've run across a forum that didn't use it. I'm sure there are some out there, I'm just not familiar with them. 

As pointed out, it can be nice to see when someone edited a post after the fact, as it lets you get an idea of the timeline involved in the thread if you weren't participating in it from the beginning. It warns you that what you're responding to may not be what the other before you were responding to. 

So sure, you may have just gone back to correct some minor issue. I do that all the time. But then, it doesn't bother me to see that I edited my post. Why would it? I edited my post. It's not like I'm trying to hide it. 

But when you have people come back and clip out half or more of the content of their post... Or edit back in some insults, or responses instead of making a new thread, it's useful to have that tag there. 

Also, really? 

Making a second account just to troll the moderation staff, and without even hiding the IPs?

Account suspended. 

On most forums I've been on, people will write something, others will respond to that original post, and the original poster (OP) will edit their post in such a way that it makes themselves look better and others look like rabid over-reactors.

I wish I knew how to change my ip. but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Edit: actually, I did try a couple of ways. But they didn't work.

Edit2: can someone show me how to do it properly? Change your IP address?

Edit3: nevermind, the moderators might ban me.

Edit4: no srsly. send me a pm or something *wink*

Edit5: haha nah I'm just yanking your chain. I'll look it up myself.

Edit 6: no for real, how do you do it?

Edited by child of 2

I agree for the most part with the OP. This feature has been on most of the various forums I've ever been a part of. I never knew people were lame enough to go back and edit a post to make them appear to be winning the overall argument. I would say, to solve the OP's problem, just look at the edit time. The majority of them are probably within the first 5 minutes due to some minor spelling or grammar error. I almost never get through a post without catching some careless error. I see the OP's point, but get over it. 

Note: Upon reading over my post, I realized I accidentally wrote "without" instead of "within" in the sentence "The majority of them are probably within the first 5 minutes..." Haha I guess I proved my point. 

Edited by JoeyBoy718