Getting MSc out of PhD - confused international student's question

PaulinaTheChemist

I am a bit confused about the whole masters thing. I know this probably differs from school to school, but I want to get a general idea how this works.

So here comes my question:

How does one gets MSc degree if enrolled into a PhD program? I know the school carries admission only for PhDs, but later some MSc degrees are awarded. Do schools usually make problems about getting MSc rather than a PhD one was initially admitted to (assuming full funding provided by the school)? I am talking about a completely voluntary decision to get a different degree, not caused by academic difficulties.

I am not from the US and this is one of those things I never understood about the system here.

Thanks!

Edited by PaulinaTheChemist

1.  You drop out.

2.  It depends on the school and on the program.  Some schools/departments will penalize you if you attempt to leave before getting the doctoral degree.  Some don't.  If you enroll in a school that only offers the PhD, the expectation is that that's the degree you desire.  It is considered dishonest to enroll in a PhD program with the express purpose of dropping out and getting a "free"/funded MS.  That aside, a number of people find that research isn't their thing.  Maybe they like another field or perhaps they want to get into the workforce etc.  Advisors/departments/schools know and understand this.  So, a person won't necessarily be blacklisted for leaving a program.

Oh, the other way one gets an MS from a PhD granting institution is if the school automatically gives students the MS "along the way".  That means that after maybe 2.5-3 years in a program (if the student is in good standing), it'll give him the MS as he progresses through his PhD.