The NSF GROW - what to expect and when to expect it?

TheFlyingScholar

I emailed the partner organization to ask if they knew when the awards would be sent out. They told me not til mid-May and that I would be receiving one.

Good to know. Thanks. I'll just keep holding my breath til mid-May, then start emailing people. :)

Do you know how the travel allowance is handled ($5000)? Do we have to go through painful reimbursement processes for research/travel etc.?

I'm pretty sure when Rick came out to our campus he said that the travel allowance is disbursed through your university before you leave and in one lump sum... But that was a while ago, I could be mistaken.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an email from Rick that Austria has accepted me, and I'll have OFFICIAL-official word in the next couple of days.  It was a drag to wait this long (but, understandable - these things take time!), and luckily I'm planning to go in Sept so the logistics should be just fine.

YAY!!

Congrats to all my fellow GROW-ees! This should be incredible.

--Amanda

I applied to Australia, haven't heard from them.

Thanks acm24,

It makes me feel better knowing someone else hasn't heard. Maybe Australia is behind getting their approvals finalized for whatever reason.

Well, seeing that we've all been getting responses trickling in at different times, apparently each country has its own timeline. For me, since I heard back so late in May, it is not possible for me to meet my June travel date. Fortunately, it's not a problem for me to leave later.

I wish I could tell you what happens if you are accepted Kasiv, but I'm still confused myself. In my acceptance letter from NSF, I was instructed to contact my host country's research council and when I did, they said I would be getting an email with further instructions soon...I still haven't got the email. So I think we have to just accept that it will be a slow process. :)  

For those of you who have not heard anything at all by May 31st, I would contact Rick. We should all hear at least something by the end of the month...

Good luck to you all and positive thoughts your way! :)

I just got an email from Rich Tankersley. My application to conduct research in Australia has been accepted, and only a few hours before June. Good luck to others that may still be following this thread.