Rejected? Maybe this is why...

kdav

I just... don't have any words.

http://feministconservative.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/my-first-week-of-work/

What school does this woman work for, and do they have any idea of the blatant discrimination and prejudices going on in their admissions office?

For the record, I'm female and believe in well-rounded applicants too, but this is just altogether ridiculous!!!

If you skim through the rest of her blog, apparently she's a graduated PhD student from the institution who accepted a role in the admissions office post-graduation.

...Wow.

Well she wasn't a student when she was reviewing applications, the school hired her in some official capacity. I have heard some crazy application stories--and not every person on the admission committee takes their position seriously, but simply discarding someone's application without even reading it is absurd. 

I really hope this is a satire of a crazy conservative because if not, whoa. I would love to know what school she's doing admissions for.

I'm sure her superiors would also love to know what she's up to. Great way to ruin the credibility of a school's admission process.

I doubt she has that much power...the admissions committee is a committee for a reason, multiple opinions are taken into account.  The stats that she gives may be what SHE wanted but not what the whole committee decided.

I doubt she has that much power...the admissions committee is a committee for a reason, multiple opinions are taken into account.  The stats that she gives may be what SHE wanted but not what the whole committee decided.

The thing is, many admissions committees divide the applications up between them, get rid of the ones that they deem unacceptable, and then bring the top few candidates to the group deliberations. In particular, an undergrad admissions committee is dealing with so many apps that there's simply no way that they all go through each application, so I have no problem believing that she really does have that kind of power.

So I spent over an hour browsing her blog and other associated nutjobs that she links to... and wow! There is so much hate in this world more than I ever imagined. The problem is that she calls herself "Feminist"!

Although I feel she is probably making this admission committee story up, I still cannot help but fear that there might be similar people in Academia.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, including what I consider highly offensive, bigoted or even racist views. But the problem is that in an Academic setting sometimes there are people who can possess a lot of control over your future.

Ok that is an hour I will never get back.. Back to my study now and normal obssessing over schools and TGC :)

Honestly, this goes to show the fickleness of the admissions process... knowing people like her exist helps me feel a little less bad about all my rejections. I'll just pretend she rejected me from all those schools  :P 

• 3 weeks later...

Moreover, her dismissing white male for being too cliché for science and maths is also discrimination. So a white young man likes chess, so what? 

Initially I was going to post

if the university wants to accept students based on what they perceive is, their ability to blend into a diverse environment - I say fine, their prerogative.  This likely will not be measured well and will be shoddy anyway,

However as soon as it became a matter of stereotypes and personal political beliefs, that obviously went too far.  How atrocious the situation is. 

Edited by |||

If a university is so garbage as to centralize the admission process into the hands of a single NEWLY appointed individual. . .I say more power to the rejection.

That assumes that - as someone mentioned - this isn't one big troll-experiment; which I am fairly sure it is.