Fall 2014 applications

antecedent

Anyone left who doesn't know which grad program they're gonna go to? Undecided? Waiting for more results?

The end is near.. I envy psychics.

Yes, I'm still undecided (I've been lurking on this thread for awhile, but never posted).

It's such a difficult decision. I was rejected from all five PhD programs I applied to and accepted to all three MA programs I applied to as back-ups. Now I'm trying to figure out which one will give me the best prospects in another two years when I re-apply to PhD programs (already dreading it).

Anyone else in a similar boat?

Yes, I'm still undecided (I've been lurking on this thread for awhile, but never posted).

It's such a difficult decision. I was rejected from all five PhD programs I applied to and accepted to all three MA programs I applied to as back-ups. Now I'm trying to figure out which one will give me the best prospects in another two years when I re-apply to PhD programs (already dreading it).

Anyone else in a similar boat?

I was in the same boat two years ago - rejected from PhDs, accepted to two Masters. Since I didn't get any funding for the MA offers, I went ahead with the cheaper one (which also happened to be in the city I liked the most). Definitely not a prestigious university, but I really really enjoyed my program and I was very proactive about improving - got As in all my classes, got a research assistant gig at a lab that focused on the kind of research I wanted to do (in a different department), etc. Now I am finishing my MA and got accepted to five of the PhD programs I applied to, with full funding. 

It's hard to give you advice without knowing what your options are, but I guess my main advice is - wherever you go, just work really hard at it and it'll pay off. And if you can go to a place that won't cost you much money/put you in a lot of debt, that's always a plus. :)

Thank you!! And all of your options sound really great - congrats!!! - so I'm sure you'll get lots of opportunities wherever you go! Good luck deciding!! :)

Another advice: look at people doing research in other departments as well. Like I said, the lab I work at is not at the ling department... There's a lot of great psycho/neurolinguists in psychology, cog sci and speech language departments. You might be able to work or take a class with them, or attend their lab meetings - either way, it increases your chances of networking with researchers in your field, and maybe getting a nice rec letter in the future.

Also, check out the CUNY website for the last few conferences (CUNY is the largest annual conference for sentence processing, so that's where all the psycho and neuro people tend to present their work). See if you can spot your POIs names, and try to see how often they present, who they're working with, if their students are presenting... 

Hope that helps!!

Edited by beccamayworth

Anyone left who doesn't know which grad program they're gonna go to? Undecided? Waiting for more results?

The end is near.. I envy psychics.

UChicago's open house is this week... after which I'll finally be able to make a decision. Somehow.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Ppl from UCLA have finally informed me that they've waitlisted me. A bit late, but it's nice to know that I have no straight-out rejections at the end of the day.

Sucks knowing you didn't get all acceptances. Even Pinkster/CorruptedInnocence/LittleDarlings accomplished that.

Edited by Gnome Chomsky

Sucks knowing you didn't get all acceptances. Even Pinkster/CorruptedInnocence/LittleDarlings accomplished that.

Tell me something, why do you keep bringing up LittleDarlings in completely irrelevant contexts? Is there any good reason? Because the only ones I can think of involve words like "trolling," "bullying," or "stalking." It makes me uncomfortable, and I am sure that I am not the only one.

Hi everyone!

I am the student who is going to learn linguistcis this Fall in the US, but the result of my 2014 application is not that satisfactory. So far I got some admissions from Applied lingsuitcs. The reason why I applied to AL is that my undergraduate major is Teaching Chinsese as a second language, which is a major that focuses more on SLA or even teachng pedagogy , however acutually  my goal is to get a PhD degree in linguistics and therefore I can start my research in the relevant field. Or put it in this way, to some degree my undergradute major has confined my possibility in application to linguistics.

I have been haunted by this problem, I'd like to know about th possibility of going on to the PhD study with a degree in Applied Linguistcs, I am really looking foward to getting you advice!! I still have another question, is there any of you have heard about the linguistics department of University of Pittsburgh? What do yo think of this department because I got the admission fron this program(M.A in Applied linguisticss)  Here are the courses provided by Pitts:

Required Core courses : Phonetics and Phonemics/ Syntax/Phonology/SLA/Teaching pedogagy/sociolinguistics/Psycholinguistics/And four electives.

Is it even possible for me to continue to PhD study(theoretical linguisics)  with a MA from this school?

I would really appreciate your help and advice!!!Thank you all!!!!

I'ld say it's possible, but only if your MA education provided some foundation or emphasis in theoretical in the first place. Thankfully it sounds like this MA does have a healthy dosage of general ling so it sounds safe. Try asking the admissions committee there about prospects for general ling specializations after the MA, maybe they recommend that you take certain electives because of how previous students have gotten into general PhDs

Woke up to an email this morning from the University of Pittsburgh prompting me to check the website. Unsurprisingly a standard form rejection was waiting for me. It's not a biggie because I've already committed elsewhere, but man it took them forever to get that decision out. 

Edited by cotterw

Woke up to an email this morning from the University of Pittsburgh prompting me to check the website. Unsurprisingly a standard form rejection was waiting for me. It's not a biggie because I've already committed elsewhere, but man it took them forever to get that decision out. 

Got the same thing from Maryland, finally. That was a long, disappointing process.

I have turned down one offer via email days ago but heard nothing from the department.. writing again to make sure if they received the previous email seems a dull idea. How can I know if they were notified or not?

Surprised by Toronto's email saying "Since the deadline for accepting our offer was yesterday and I haven’t heard from you, I will assume that you have declined our offer". I always thought the deadline is 12:00am 4.16 (means I can accept an offer on 4.15)! Luckily I did accept another offer two days ago, otherwise I'll be doomed.. And hope that I was not considered rude to not respond to an offer before the deadline...