Double Masters? - public health & social work

Billy19

Hi everyone,

I have been accepted to the MPH and MSW programs at U of T and am extremely excited! I am very passionate about both fields and am interested in the coursework of both degrees.

Has anyone on this forum ever done a double masters? As in, two degrees at the same time, one part-time and one full-time? Is this a feasible idea?

I have talked to a lot of people about this and I know that I should really consider the job prospects before I get into it. It seems that all the people I've researched who have both degrees have amazing careers - the perfect combination of both fields, which is something I really crave. I know this will be very challenging but perhaps well worth it in the end?

Please give your feedback!

Thanks.

Well for starters I would want to know if this option is even allowed by both programs. Many either assume or require that you devote you time completely to studies in that program - so, either officially require that as part of what you sign on to when you join the program, or they just fill up your time completely so as not to allow you to do anything else without seriously slacking off on both sides. Assuming this is in principle possible, I would next want to know if anyone is actually doing anything similar or if anyone in recent history has done so, and if so how they pulled it off and how they are doing now. It'd be best if you can find a current student with relevant experience who you can ask all these questions. This should give you a good idea of how you might perform if you try to pull off something similar.

Why don't you do a joint program?  There are plenty of joint programs in public health and social work that are designed to be done together.  A full-time master's will expect you to take 3 classes a semester and your part-time master's will expect 1 or 2, so you will be taking 4-5 classes a semester.  Four graduate classes is too many and five is nigh impossible.  Plus your social work program will require fieldwork, and your MPH program will require at least a one-semester practicum which may interfere with the fieldwork.  When you are in a real dual program, they work these things out, but in a makeshift program we are asking for trouble.

Are they both at the same university?  Can you arrange to complete them as a joint program - perhaps doing your first year at one program, your second year at the other, and a third year taking classes at both programs and counting some of your classes in one program towards the other?  You could model it upon existing MPH/MSW programs.