Harvard Kennedy School 2014

Hi I am an International student. I am applying to MPA2. My GRE is not bad but definitely not within the competetive range Q154 V 150 AWA 5. I took it last week so no time to improve as HKS are pretty strict with DL. I was wondering if I should apply building on an excellent under grad GPA, a v good PG GPA and diversity element with a relatively unconventional MPA2 applicant's professional profile (below)? Or should I save my money and face and work on getting a 160 in quant the least and apply next year? Does HKS look down at re applicants? Also do you think my MPP would give me an edge considering the pre req of MPA2 or it will be a double sided weapon since several core courses are common between the two degrees? My MPP waa regulatory focused and less quant.I appreciate your advice!

Education:

* GPA 3.83 a 5 years Bsc in pharma biotech top school at my country

*GPA 3.36 Masters in Public Policy from a regionally well known program. THESIS on a healthcare Regulatory policy topic.

Work experience

6 years at a UN agency in its Regional HQ in the Middle East. Travelling in the region and providing healthcare policy Advisory services to Governments

Pro bono consulting with an Int'l NGO

several internships in multinational companies such as Bristol Myers, Novartis and PnG

Have an extensive event organization expwrience both locally and internationally

received various awards and won several apprenticeship alike competetion s

attended more than 100 hours in class room tr

@JustSomeGuy75, NPRjunkie gave a really thoughtful and candid reply that I mostly agree with. The only part where I'd disagree is that I would strongly recommend you wait to apply next year when you're able to get your GRE score up and get some more solid work experience. Of course your application will be throughly and thoughtfully considered by the AdCom if you end up reapplying, but it's a "higher hurdle" to overcome the second time around. When working with my clients, it is much easier to help someone get in with a few problem areas in their application if they are applying for the first time than it is when they are reapplying. But it has happened and turned out well for some people—so perhaps it's worth the risk. Let us know what you decide to do!

Hello, I believe the reply you quoted from NPRjunkie was not for me but for ''taidan'' :-) 

The vast majority of people told me I have my chances, considering the service you are providing, I would be happy if you could assess my chances just by quickly looking at my post page 2.

Best

Hi JustSomeGuy75!

I made some quick remarks and suggestions in bold below. Best of luck on your applications!

Kaneisha

Hi guys, 

I am preparing my application for the MPP as well. 

I am quite young, 22 years old - but it seems that the youngest admitted this year was 21. Yes you are quite young but they do admit a few straight from college each year. I and my best friend in college were two such admits our year.

I graduated last year with straight 4.0 (or the equivalent) with a Bachelor in Economics and I was ranked at the toc 1% in the class. 

My undergraduate institution is one of the most renowned French University (Sorbonne). Great school, great major/grades. I might not have as much work experience as other applicants though but I interned 3 months at the European Parliament working for a European Deputy, 3 months at the French Parliament (Lower House) as an assistant for a deputy from my native region, 3 months at the Turkish Parliament, and just finished my internship at the United Nations working for the European Union's delegation as an ''adviser'' in Political Affairs at the Security Council. All of these institutions are top-notch. Just make sure you clearly communicate in your CV the VALUE of the work you did and the RESULTS you were able to help achieve.

I also worked for two different NGOs, One in Rome which focused on Inter-religious dialogue and one in Paris, which focused on Inter-cultural dialogue and integration. I am of Turkish background so I speak French, English and Turkish. Great.

I did not take the GRE yet ... quite stressing out about it. Completely understand! Test-taking can be very stressful!

For the LoRs I am opting for the European Deputy I worked for, the President of the NGO I worked in Rome and most probably a teacher. The thing is, on the Harvard blog they said that the only case to avoid would be to have 3 LoR from teachers - what would be Ideal for me is to send 3 LoR coming from internship supervisors instead. But I recently graduated so I assume that it might not be very wise? I like your plan of having two professional recommenders and one professor. Go with that.

I received several scholarships through academia, the last one being attributed by the French Ministry of Education for outstanding academic result for students in need (son of blue-collar worker). Include all of them on your CV with a short explanation for why you were awarded the scholarship.

Extra: I managed to get from a bad Middle School to one of France's best High School back in the days.. I did the same thing for myself in my city! :)

(PS: If someone could chance me I would be very grateful) Depending on your test scores, your chances are fairly strong. If you can crack a 160+ on each section, I would put your chances at admission as moderately high (60+%). Make sure those essays are airtight!

I am applying to Harvard and Woodrow Wilson and feel that I am a very strong applicant except for my low quant score. I got a 5.0 AW 167 verbal and 152 quant. Last year the 152 was rated in the 52nd percentile, but now it seems that it is the 49th percentile.

I mean obviously my verbal and writing are very good and I hope they offset the weak quant, but can anyone give me a sense on whether the low quant is a deal-breaker or if my other factors could outweigh it. Last year I got into Fletcher and SIPA without problems, but deferred my admission for various reasons, so I know I can get into good programs. It seems though, that Harvard and Princeton are different levels entirely.

I am trying to make the case that I am applying to HKS and WWS because I know I have holes in my quant skills and so I am looking for a really rigorous quantitative program. It's true, but I'm not sure if they might think I am too weak. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated since I am stressing out here!!

I am applying to Harvard and Woodrow Wilson and feel that I am a very strong applicant except for my low quant score. I got a 5.0 AW 167 verbal and 152 quant. Last year the 152 was rated in the 52nd percentile, but now it seems that it is the 49th percentile.

I mean obviously my verbal and writing are very good and I hope they offset the weak quant, but can anyone give me a sense on whether the low quant is a deal-breaker or if my other factors could outweigh it. Last year I got into Fletcher and SIPA without problems, but deferred my admission for various reasons, so I know I can get into good programs. It seems though, that Harvard and Princeton are different levels entirely.

I am trying to make the case that I am applying to HKS and WWS because I know I have holes in my quant skills and so I am looking for a really rigorous quantitative program. It's true, but I'm not sure if they might think I am too weak. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated since I am stressing out here!!

I think it will largely depend on your prior academics. I cant speak for admissions officers, but personally if I saw a 152 quant score on an applicant who had A's and B's in Calculus, Stats, economics etc. the 152 would become almost a non-factor.

The GRE-Q measures your ability to do simple math fast

College Math measures your ability to do complex math with a fair amount of time

both are relevant, but I think second a lot more so.

That would have been a great first sentence for my SOP  :) Best of luck to all.

“In our lives we know joy, anger, sorrow, and a hundred other emotions, but these emotions altogether occupy a bare one per cent of our time. The remaining ninety-nine per cent is just living in waiting.” 

- Osamu Dazai

Anyone have an idea of how many applications they typically get for the MPP program? Cursory Google searches haven't given me much.

• Applied  1,753
  • Accepted  369
  • Acceptance Rate   21%
  • Enrolled  252

http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/harvard-university-john-f-kennedy-school-of-government-000_10022545.aspx

I don't know if those are accurate though. Peterson's put Duke's public policy acceptance rate at 9%, which freaked me out as it's the only school I'm applying to this year. I think it might be that they only published the numbers for their PhD program however, whilst for HKS they've published numbers specific to the MPP program. 

TBH, this thread is making me feel like I've sold myself short, and should have tried to get into HKS, but it's a bit late now. 

Edited by TimB

Peterson's isn't accurate.

Yeah, I think I had heard before that Peterson's wasn't accurate. I guess I'm wondering if someone has a more accurate idea about admissions statistics. If there's some fount of admissions information out there I'm unaware of. Or at least if someone has an idea whether Peterson's is somewhat or very above or below actual figures.

That would have been a great first sentence for my SOP  :) Best of luck to all.

Yhakak, I know you were just kidding in your prior post, but I just had to jump in and say this for the benefit of everyone working on their essays for other schools: Do not, do not, DO NOT begin your statement of purpose with a quote from someone else, a book, poem, etc. In fact, I would advise that you stay away from quotes period.

I've always taken the epigraphs/introductory quotes out of my clients' essays because it wastes valuable word count. However, HKS Admissions has now clearly stated that it's a no no: http://hksadmissionblog.tumblr.com/post/64653575729/essay-notes-post-7

Use your own words to dazzle the AdCom. Don't make them roll their eyes as soon as they pick up your essay.

Happy writing!

Hi Levo,

I'm a little confused by your question... Your references should already be turned in by now. They certainly aren't going to let you change your writer after the deadline. And I doubt they would change it even before the deadline unless you had a very compelling reason. I know that wasn't super-helpful, but I wanted to weigh in with what I could.

Guys, any idea if HKS ever lets you change one of the references? 

Hi Kaneisha,

While I agree that they won't let you change anything after the deadline, before the deadline there was a button marked "exclude" where you could basically cancel a recommendation. I don't know exactly what it does and I wasn't about to try to find out, but evidently there was such an option...

Hi Levo,

I'm a little confused by your question... Your references should already be turned in by now. They certainly aren't going to let you change your writer after the deadline. And I doubt they would change it even before the deadline unless you had a very compelling reason. I know that wasn't super-helpful, but I wanted to weigh in with what I could.

• 1 month later...

Kaneisha,

Hello!  Was just wondering your thoughts on a student that was wait listed last year, and applying again this year.  Do you think that the application hurdle is just as high for a wait listed student as it is for a denied student during the application process?

Additionally, do you think that HKS has "courtesy" wait list spots, that they give to people to commend their application, but know they will never admit them?

Thank in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I have just spotted a post from HKS blog saying:

We do not have a minimum cut-off score on the GRE or GMAT exams. However, given the quantitative nature of the MPA/ID Program, we look most closely at your scores on the quantitative sections of these tests. We have found that our most competitive applicants score in the 80th percentile or better on the quantitative part of the exam. (We do not keep records of score trends on other sections of the test. - See more at: http://hksadmissionblog.tumblr.com/post/64931407500/essay-notes-post-8#sthash.WxwIdbfv.dpuf

What do you think of it? I mean, whether they really care only about quant score? If so, do you think the same holds for other programs i.e. MPP?

That post specifically refers to Harvard's MPA/ID program (MPA in International Development), not their MPP program.  They tell you right up front on the MPA/ID web page that that particular program is the most quantitatively challenging program they offer, so it makes sense that they would mostly take people in the 80th percentile and up on GRE.  I'm sure they have some MPA/ID admits who don't make that cut off, but are strong in other areas (or have a strong quant background from undergrad), but I find it easy to believe that most score 80 percent and above for that particular program.  It's supposed to attract people who are already really mathematically strong. 

Now for the MPP program, which is more the "flagship" program, the quantitative requirements are not as black and white because the curriculum is not as quant heavy. So just make sure you're applying to the program with the curriculum that most fits your skills or is most realistic for you. 

Hi, 

I have just spotted a post from HKS blog saying:

What do you think of it? I mean, whether they really care only about quant score? If so, do you think the same holds for other programs i.e. MPP?

Gov2School: I understand that MPP and MPA/ID are different programs and there is a greater quant focus at the second one but I am wondering whether adcoms judge GREs similarly across different programs (especially if someone is not a native English speaker).

Gov2School: I understand that MPP and MPA/ID are different programs and there is a greater quant focus at the second one but I am wondering whether adcoms judge GREs similarly across different programs (especially if someone is not a native English speaker).

No. Like I said, it depends on the program and what it is looking for. Schools aren't all looking for the same thing, so they don't all judge all applicants the same way. 

Yeah, I think I had heard before that Peterson's wasn't accurate. I guess I'm wondering if someone has a more accurate idea about admissions statistics. If there's some fount of admissions information out there I'm unaware of. Or at least if someone has an idea whether Peterson's is somewhat or very above or below actual figures.

I asked a staff member who was helping me with my deferral last year, and they said they thought it was around 15%.