Altruism, Morality and Social Solidarity - Call for Graduate Students

La_Di_Da

The AMSS section of the ASA is relatively new, only in its second year, I believe, and is looking for additional members (I am one already). Graduate students can join for $10 and some section members may even be willing to sponsor you! For more information about this section, possible membership sponsorship, or a copy of the most recent section newsletter, please contact AMSS section chair, Vincent Jeffries, California State University–Northridge. (PM me for his email address.) To become a member of the Altruism, Morality and Social Solidarity section of the ASA, visit http://www.asanet.org/members/joinasa.cfm

Also, if you're attending the ASA annual meeting this August, consider dropping in on one or more of the following AMSS roundtables and/or sessions:

Round Tables:

Table 1: Foundational Perspectives
Table 2: Responsibility to Others
Table 3: Analysis of Morality
Table 4: Volunteerism
Table 5: Moral Systems and Social Structure
Table 6: Solidarity and Social Crisis
Table 7: Collective Creativity and Giving
Table 8: Social Structures and Processes
Table 9: Attitudinal and Organizational Altruism

Invited Session: New Directions in Altruism, Morality, and Social Solidarity
Organizer: Edward A. Tiryakian, Duke University.
Chairperson: Christian Smith, University of Notre Dame.

―Does Moral Culture Promote Solidarity? ‖ Steven Vaisey, Duke University and Liana Prescott, University
of California-Berkeley

―Solidarity in a Multi-cultural World: A Durkeimian Approach on Morality ‖ Raquel Weiss, Federal
University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil

―Five Sources of Altruism and Case Studies ‖ Stephen Post, Director, Center for Medical Humanities, Stony
Brook University

―New Ways of Solidarity in Spain: the Crisis of Conventional Politics ‖ Alfonso Perez-Agote Poveda.
Complutense University of Madrid

Edward A. Tiryakian, Discussant

Open Topic Session
Organizer: Peter Callero, Western Oregon University

"Channeling Solidarity: Social Organization and Blood Donation in Response to 9/11" Kraig
Beyerlein, University of Notre Dame and Kieran Healy, Duke University

"Empathy and Identity" Kevin McCaffree, University of California-Riverside

"Living Life for Others and/or Oneself: The Social Development of Life Orientations" Steven Hitlin,
University of Iowa and Mark Salisbury, Augustana University
"

Moral Shock and Altruism in the Aftermath of the 2010 BP Oil Spill" Justin Farrell, University of
Notre Dame

"No Body to Kick, No Soul to Damn: Responsibility and Accountability for the Financial Crisis" Olivia
Nicol, Columbia University

Can you only join through the ASA or can you join directly? I'm already a member of AAA and AAG but this section is related to my research.

Can you only join through the ASA or can you join directly? I'm already a member of AAA and AAG but this section is related to my research.

I think you need to become a member of the ASA, but I'll double check that; should have an answer for you in the next 24 hours. Are you attending this year's AAA meeting?

I think you need to become a member of the ASA, but I'll double check that; should have an answer for you in the next 24 hours. Are you attending this year's AAA meeting?

I don't think so but it's possible. I only get one set of travel funding per AY and I'll be going to DOPE and AAG. I'll probably use my funding for DOPE.

• 9 months later...

I don't think so but it's possible. I only get one set of travel funding per AY and I'll be going to DOPE and AAG. I'll probably use my funding for DOPE.

Hey, I saw that you are going to DOPE.  I'm very excited about presenting at that conference.  Have you been before?  I was accepted to present the same paper at AAG, but it's just way too expensive for me, and my department offers no funding.

DOPE is great. I went last year and loved it. Very different from other conferences. I might be working at AAG (my advisor is on the local committee) so decided to use my funding to go back to DOPE this year.