MPH 2014 CANADA APPLICANTS

Well i have completed my graduation frol india! And i am a doctor now! I dont have a lot of experience but have 1 year internship in hospital, one of two voluntary camps , few cmes! As i have some time before the applications for 2014 open i am trying to do some voluntary work to stronger up my resume! 10 92% 12 78% Mbbs all four years! I have 1st division! Ielts 7 bands overall! How many chance do i have in getting admission! Well i have already ruled out ubc n uoft! I think much more voluntary work experience is needed and much better grades! Sfu is very competitive as well ! But il try my luck there ? Ne views on mph guelph! Apparantly its my first choice ! But i dont see it being popular among students! Why ??? Coz its a general mph ? No specialization ? Ne views ? How about usask ! No offence to anybody ! I have jus " heard " its very cold ! Verry cold! But crime is at max in sask province! Is it true ?? Well gna consider everythng before moving! Views are welcome ! Reply plz nebody ! That wat shud i do to make sure i get in ! Thanks!

I have very similar stats as yours and I applied to 6 universities for the fall 2013 session. I don't mean to discourage you but I was rejected from 5 of them. Still waiting to hear from Lakehead. I didn't give the GRE or Toefl/Ielts because I only applied to those places where it wasn't compulsory to have gre. As I am a Canadian citizen most universities didn't require a toefl either. 

I know its very hard to get in the uni... The reason why i am not taking it as my primary career path! I am upto other things as well! But i really hope i will get in some uni! I am not even gonna apply to those to whom i know i will be rejected for sure !?! Did yu apply to guelph mph ? Doyu know about masters in health science program in macmasters uni ?

What should i do improve my chances in getting admission to a uni ? More voluntary work or get a work experince! I have already started voluntary stff! So till the time i apply i will have 3-4 months work experine !

• 2 weeks later...

I was accepted for a few MPH programs this fall, and chose UVic. I'd recommend getting as much volunteer or work experience as possible, particularly related to the program stream you wish to apply for, work on creating an extremely strong letter of intent, and finding excellent quality references- from what I've heard the more references the better but make sure that some are attesting to your academic ability and some are discussing your work experience or volunteer work.

Most of Canada is pretty cold and snowy in the winter except for maybe Victoria and the greater Vancouver area. Good luck!

I was accepted for a few MPH programs this fall, and chose UVic. I'd recommend getting as much volunteer or work experience as possible, particularly related to the program stream you wish to apply for, work on creating an extremely strong letter of intent, and finding excellent quality references- from what I've heard the more references the better but make sure that some are attesting to your academic ability and some are discussing your work experience or volunteer work.

Most of Canada is pretty cold and snowy in the winter except for maybe Victoria and the greater Vancouver area. Good luck!

thanks a lot for the info.. and congrats for the uvic offer!

yes i am working for a voluntary thallasemia society..will gain some experience,, as i hold a medical doctor degree i also have 1 year internship in hospital.

and yes i am gonna work hard on letter of intent and references..i know they hold an equal importance..

can you please guide me if mph in uni guelph is good idea? 

i am thinking of applying to mph sfu and masters medical sciences in mcmasters!

do you have any information about how is the medical sciences masters program.????.its a research degree basically.

will it be a good move ? job oppurtunities after dat ?

thanks..

thanks a lot for the info.. and congrats for the uvic offer!

yes i am working for a voluntary thallasemia society..will gain some experience,, as i hold a medical doctor degree i also have 1 year internship in hospital.

and yes i am gonna work hard on letter of intent and references..i know they hold an equal importance..

can you please guide me if mph in uni guelph is good idea? 

i am thinking of applying to mph sfu and masters medical sciences in mcmasters!

do you have any information about how is the medical sciences masters program.????.its a research degree basically.

will it be a good move ? job oppurtunities after dat ?

thanks..

All of those are great schools, and I'm sure each program would be excellent. As for job prospects, try to volunteer or intern in places that you'd like to work the degrees will qualify you for plenty of jobs in the health-related industries, but it's the networks, experience and references you acquire throughout the process that are most valuable in the job hunt. Good luck! 

Edited by dfordelight

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm going to apply for 2014 as well. 

I don't have a medical degree so I'm sure my situation is not as optimistic. 

I will apply for UBC, SFU, UVIC, UofT, Waterloo, maybe Queens.

I hope we all get in! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I am hoping to apply for MPH at SFU as an international student starting sept 2014

I have a BSc Community Development and 5 years work experience in the area of sexual health and HIV - primarily working with vulnerable population delivering aims of government health strategies.

I have a range of volunteer experience in the area of HIV and AIDs that includes working in a township in South Africa and a university exchange placement situated in a large NGO in Los Angelus that worked with marginalised black youth affected by or at risk of HIV.

I have also published some research that looks at sexual health issues and living with HIV in Ireland.

Does anyone know the success rate for international students when applying for this course and with my experience what is the likely hood of being accepted?

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I was wondering if the school you get your MPH or MSc in Canada matters when you are looking for work. Would an MPH/MSc at Uof Guelph not seem as good as from UofT or McMaster (Msc in HRM)?

Edited by fuzzylogician
edited at poster's request. --fuzzy

• 1 month later...

I'm applying to the combined MPH/dietetic internship programs at UofT and MUN.  I want to become a registered dietitian and work in public health, so those two programs would be perfect for me.  I especially like UofT's program because most of the internship placements are in public health - I don't need to "suffer" through too many weeks of clinical or foodservice placements, which are typical for "standard" internships.  I'm just scared since I hear that UofT's program is incredibly competitive to get into!  I have excellent grades (95% average in my nutrition program), but not a lot of public health experience (just one year).  Although I did work as a web projects manager for the Public Health Agency of Canada in my previous career - not certain if that counts at public health experience however!

I'm graduating from a Dietitians of Canada accredited program, which is required for the internships.  So my back-up plans are completing a "regular" internship.  Although those are pretty competitive too, with only a 30-50% success rate in the past several years.

Hi All,

I was wondering if the school you get your MPH or MSc in Canada matters when you are looking for work. Would an MPH/MSc at Uof Guelph not seem as good as from UofT or McMaster (Msc in HRM)?

Guelph is pretty well known for its veterinary college, its biological science and its nutrition and food science programs.  So if you are interested in working in one of those areas, a degree from Guelph might be an advantage.  The one disadvantage of Guelph is that it doesn't have a medical school, so if you are more medically-inclined, then Guelph might not be the best choice.  Guelph is also very well known for its interdisciplinary focus.  If I don't get into an MPH/internship program, or into a dietetic internship, I plan on doing an MSc at Guelph, since Guelph is very well known for its nutrition research.

• 3 weeks later...

From looking at this thread and the Canada threads of the past years, it seems like public health is a lot more difficult to get into in Canada. For someone ignorant of the Canadian education system...is this true and, if so, why?

I have no idea how things work elsewhere, but for the MPH programs I'm familiar with, there are several factors that come into play.  First of all, there are a limited number of universities that offer MPH programs in Canada, and they have a limited number of seats (the ones I'm applying for only admit 12-18 students per year, for example, because they simply don't have the internship placements for more.  They have hundreds (~300) of students applying.  Granted, I'm in dietetics, a very specialized field, so other MPH programs do have more seats, but still not a huge number.)

Second, Canada has a LOT fewer medical schools than the U.S.  For that reason, there are a lot of medical school-hopefuls who have very good GPAs and MCAT scores, who don't get into medical school on their first, second or even third try.  It's crazy, but I've know students admitted to top 10 medical schools in the U.S. who couldn't gain admission to a Canadian medical school!  Anyhow, a lot of these students will apply for MPH programs as a back-up, in case they don't get into medical school, and this pushes the average GPA higher than it would be without these pre-meds applying (we see the same thing happened with PT and OT schools in Canada as well, sadly).

Really, it comes down to supply versus demand.  There is a high demand for a limited number of programs in Canada.  That makes it very competitive.

That's interesting.... I'm not Canadian either. In the US, public health is really popular and very well-funded so there are plenty of programs. A top 10 program can be competitive but virtually every major university has a public health program so if you're willing to sacrifice a prestigious school name, you'll probably get in somewhere.

I realize that there is a financial benefit of staying in Canada but is applying to a US public health school a viable option?

That's interesting.... I'm not Canadian either. In the US, public health is really popular and very well-funded so there are plenty of programs. A top 10 program can be competitive but virtually every major university has a public health program so if you're willing to sacrifice a prestigious school name, you'll probably get in somewhere.

I realize that there is a financial benefit of staying in Canada but is applying to a US public health school a viable option?

For some people it certainly is.  I know some people who have gone to the US for grad school, including MPH programs.  For me, personally, it's not an option.  First of all, I want to practice as a registered dietitian in community/public health nutrition, so I need to attend a program that is accredited by the Dietitians of Canada and that incorporates the dietetic internship as part of the MPH program.  In Canada, there are only two such programs.  The third program I'm applying to is a combined Masters/internship but without a focus on public health (but it still has far more public health and far less clinical dietetics than stand-alone internships, so it's appealing to me). 

Then, personally, I'm restricted in terms of geography due to my husband's career.  We've done the distance thing many times before (he's an army officer) but right now we just can't afford to be living apart!

For me, if I don't get into one of the MPH programs, I'll just do a stand-alone internship (without a Master's degree), assuming I get into one (they have a 30-50% success rate the past couple of years).  After that, I'll probably enroll in one of the online MPH programs that I can do part-time while working.

My backup plan, should I get into neither a combined internship nor a stand-alone internship program is to do an MSc, then reapply for the internships (standalone or combined).  The prof I'm doing my fourth year honours thesis with has said he'll take me on as an MSc student, so I have that to fall back on should all else fail!

Hi All! 

I'm wanting to apply to UoAlberta's MPH in Global health and MacMaster's MSc in Global health for September 2014, but I'm hesitant due to my low undergrad GPA. 

BSc (Nutrition) GPA: 2.7/4.0 for last 60 credits, but 3.2 for last 30 credits (4th year was the best...All my courses were nutrition-specialization courses, which I did really well in)

Other coursework: currently taking graduate-level course at UofA with hopes of boosting GPA a little...

Experience

- 1 yr in Canada as a research assistant 

- 1+ yr in China at a top university as a project coordinator/project officer in South-South collaboration of in health (I still work for them remotely from Canada)

- 3 months at China's Ministry of Health as a project assistant, also in South-South collaboration of the health field 

Publications:

- Co-author of a public health related book with a major academic publishing house

- Third author of a publication for a US research institution 

LOR:

- prof/supervisor I RA-ed for here in Canada

- prof/supervisor I worked and continue to work for in China

- an official from a major international agency I worked with in China

Do I stand any chances at all? I am hoping my work exp will make up for the low grades... I was rejected last year but I only had about 15 months worth of experience at the time of application. Are there any other programs/schools you would suggest? I am interested in global health and health policy, but from lurking this forum, neither concentrations seem to be with the most demand/opportunities out there. I have zero interest in epi/biostats. 

Thank you!

Edited by Sisship

Do I stand any chances at all? I am hoping my work exp will make up for the low grades... I was rejected last year but I only had about 15 months worth of experience at the time of application. Are there any other programs/schools you would suggest? I am interested in global health and health policy, but from lurking this forum, neither concentrations seem to be with the most demand/opportunities out there. I have zero interest in epi/biostats. 

Thank you!

Check out what GPA various programs look at.  Some only look at the last two years or most recent 30 credits.  For those programs, you'll obviously have a better chance than the programs that look at your cGPA.

The Global Health program at McMaster is actually very competitive.  I've spoken with numerous individuals who have applied to that program (and some who have been admitted) and it is very, very popular.  I'm in Ontario, so haven't heard much about the programs in other provinces.

With your experience and publications, I think it is worth applying, especially to those schools who look at your last two years or last 30 credits.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

I'm new to this forum. I'm applying to U of T's MPH program for 2014 fall. I'm feeling a little intimidated by the letter of intent. Is anyone else on the same boat? Their instructions aren't very detailed. It says they want it to be 2 pages max. I'm wondering if that's two pages double spaced or single.

Cheers :)