Applying for Fall 2014

georgemckean

Anybody know how many people they let into the Music Composition masters at NYU?

If you applied to NYU Steinhardt, here is the information listed on Peterson's.

I do not know how accurate/dependable are those statistics (they have subcategorized "vocal pedagogy" within the composition program, so there you go), but they might be close. Hopefully you will receive positive results this season; best of luck!

If you applied to NYU Steinhardt, here is the information listed on Peterson's.

I do not know how accurate/dependable are those statistics (they have subcategorized "vocal pedagogy" within the composition program, so there you go), but they might be close. Hopefully you will receive positive results this season; best of luck!

Thank you!! Now if they would just send out that blasted email...

And better news came!! I received an acceptance letter from Florida State this afternoon. I am very relieved. How is everyone else coming along?

I also received my acceptance letter to Florida State that same day. I applied for the musicology masters program there. Have you received any correspondence/admission confirmation from the general FSU Office of Admissions yet? I have yet to hear from them. I was told that I am on a waiting list for an assistantship, which I suspect may be a result of not being fully admitted by the Office of Admissions. It was my understanding that you cannot be considered for funding until you are fully admitted.

I also received my acceptance letter to Florida State that same day. I applied for the musicology masters program there. Have you received any correspondence/admission confirmation from the general FSU Office of Admissions yet? I have yet to hear from them. I was told that I am on a waiting list for an assistantship, which I suspect may be a result of not being fully admitted by the Office of Admissions. It was my understanding that you cannot be considered for funding until you are fully admitted.

Hi! I have only heard from the School of Music at this point. The letter said that information would be coming soon concerning funding. I have not heard about that nor have I heard from the graduate school. Congratulations on your acceptance to Florida State! Maybe we will see each other there in the Fall.

I've been reading this thread for a few months now, and finally worked up to getting a username to post!

I applied to Florida State for the MA Arts Administration-Fall 2014 and was accepted in the end of Feb, by both the College of Music and the university!!! I found out this week I was awarded an assistant ship, and officially accepted this week! 

Time to remember how to be a student again...it's only been 3 years for me since my undergraduate, but it still might be a struggle!

That's fantastic. Congrats on the assistantship/official acceptance!! 

I've been reading this thread for a few months now, and finally worked up to getting a username to post!

I applied to Florida State for the MA Arts Administration-Fall 2014 and was accepted in the end of Feb, by both the College of Music and the university!!! I found out this week I was awarded an assistant ship, and officially accepted this week! 

Time to remember how to be a student again...it's only been 3 years for me since my undergraduate, but it still might be a struggle!

Hi! I have only heard from the School of Music at this point. The letter said that information would be coming soon concerning funding. I have not heard about that nor have I heard from the graduate school. Congratulations on your acceptance to Florida State! Maybe we will see each other there in the Fall.

Okay, that makes me feel a lot better. They must just be behind on musicology applicants. Perhaps we will see each other in the fall! 

My first post here as well - I was accepted at IU Jacobs and plan to take their offer (96.5% tuition remission scholarship, no stipend but I'm sure I can get some work on the side somewhere).

Juilliard is mean... they emailed me just to say my admission decision will be available 9 hours from now. They will be painful 9 hours.

I sent in my Eastman confirmation today! It was a tough decision, but I'm relieved to have the entire process behind me. Will anyone else be heading to Rochester in the fall?

Congratulations to everyone on their acceptances and decisions! 

My first post, and I am currently trying to decide between Royal Holloway and Boston U. I thought waiting was the hardest part of this process, but choosing is proving to be incredibly difficult as well.

Anyway, congrats to everyone!

So.... I still haven't heard from NYU four months after turning my application in. At this point, I'm not sure what to expect, but I do need to make plans with apartment leases, etc. My mentor told me that I shouldn't call their office, but I was thinking about sending admissions an email if I haven't heard by Friday. Thoughts?

I still can't decide between Chicago and Penn. Help!

You can't make a bad choice with those two schools, in my opinion! I would maybe divide your pros and cons into categories: advisors, specific programs, universities/resources, city life, money stuff, etc. It's also fun to check out http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Musicology/Ethnomusicology_2013-14 (essentially like gradcafe for applying for jobs rather than grad school). If I'm not mistaken, both programs have had good placements within the past few years, so again... no wrong choice :) Both will give you great opportunities on the academic job market.

I still can't decide between Chicago and Penn. Help!

I'm sure this is something you've already been thinking about, but I'll say it anyways -- which one has the faculty member you'd want to work with the most? (But since you're still having trouble deciding, I'm assuming the answer is both have faculty you'd love to work with). Additionally, how interdisciplinary do you want to be? I mean, there usually isn't a ton of ethno/music theory crossover (I'm a theorist, so bear with my theory-centric myopia), but Penn's music theory faculty is very so-so, while Chicago has Steve Rings who is a total badass. 

On an almost completely different note, anyone else here currently languishing on the wait list? I'm in that boat and while I've been oddly not-anxious for most of the past month, my sanity is really starting to fray this week. People like you, music, need to go ahead and make their damn decisions already  ;)

Kccur, give that I'm working on Israeli hip hop and theorisations of blackness in the M.E., Chicago has the perfect faculty. I have concerns about both schools, and yet either would undoubtedly be a fantastic choice, and I would have been thrilled just to get one offer this application season. I do want to work interdisciplinarily both within the music dept and outside, and both schools would facilitate that, although I think it would be *necessary* at Penn to get what I need, and a nice bonus at Chicago since the dept has strengths in my research areas.

I think I'm going to finalise my decision tomorrow, having had the chance today to talk to more people :) Hopefully someone will get a waitlist place out of it!

Kccur, where are you waitlisted? That must be very frustrating right now, fingers crossed that you have some good news in the next few days.

Kccur, give that I'm working on Israeli hip hop and theorisations of blackness in the M.E., Chicago has the perfect faculty. I have concerns about both schools, and yet either would undoubtedly be a fantastic choice, and I would have been thrilled just to get one offer this application season. I do want to work interdisciplinarily both within the music dept and outside, and both schools would facilitate that, although I think it would be *necessary* at Penn to get what I need, and a nice bonus at Chicago since the dept has strengths in my research areas.

I think I'm going to finalise my decision tomorrow, having had the chance today to talk to more people :) Hopefully someone will get a waitlist place out of it!

Kccur, where are you waitlisted? That must be very frustrating right now, fingers crossed that you have some good news in the next few days.

Yeah, sounds like you're in good shape. Really can't go wrong.

I don't want to say exactly where I'm waitlisted -- even though nothing I could possibly say on here could affect me in any way, I'm just ultra-paranoid this app season and want to be as un-identifiable as possible. So I'll just say it's a top-three theory program. I think I only need one person to commit elsewhere, and there are currently either one or two uncommitted theory admits. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out. Mostly I've been able to keep myself convinced that this is all very exciting -- but at this point I just want it to be over.

Decision made. Feels right :D

I have also made a final decision. I was originally waitlisted at Washington University in St. Louis, then they emailed me with a fantastic offer that I could not refuse. I am looking forward to spending the next several years of my life in St. Louis.

Congrats to both of you! :) :) :) 

Props to both of you!

My wait list situation continues down to the end. I know how many people I'm waiting on -- actually, I even know exactly who I'm waiting on -- but it looks like it's literally going to come down to the last days. Which is all a bit stressful, but also a bit funny.

Happy April 15 everyone! And congrats on surviving application season.

Kccur - any news? 

Nooooope, not yet. But I have been kept up to date with things, so I know there are decisions still out and I definitely still have a chance. May not have slept last night, but whatever! It all ends today!

Dawn of the final day, 24(ish) hours remain! It's the final countdown! etc., etc.

Edited by kccur