2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Anybody else still waiting for that first acceptance (after interviewing places) and wants to wade in the pool of stress it's generating? 

I interviewed two weeks ago and have yet to hear any news, although after emailing my interviewers last week they all said that we should be hearing back shortly. All we need is one acceptance!!! :)   

Guys, how do you know if your interviews went well in general? Are there some of you who were rejected after the interview? Did you see it coming?

I have not heard back from the schools that interviewed me at all.

I knew when my interviews went well because I enjoyed them and the professors seemed excited to be talking with me. We kept going off on tangents about topics in science and agreeing with each other's opinions and finishing each other's sentences. Some of the professors would walk me to my next interview and then stand outside the door with me for several minutes and continue the conversation. A few people even directly told me they were impressed with me or started saying "oh well this is something you could do in my lab".

So far I've heard back and been accepted to the programs I interviewed with, but they did mention that they wouldn't be making most of their decisions until March when the official acceptances go out.

For what it's worth, some of my interviews felt awkward, too. But I think maybe if you hit it off with at least a couple faculty then you are in a good position to be accepted.

I don't send thank you emails. When an interview is over I shake their hand firmly and say, "I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to speak with me. It was a pleasure." A thank you email would basically say the same thing as that, so I don't feel like it's necessary. But that's probably just me.

Yeah, I didn't send out thank you emails either. My plan is to send out some emails when I have finished my interviews and I am trying to make a decision.

I have an upcoming panel interview for one of my schools. Has anyone participated in a panel interview before? Thanks in advance :)

I had an admissions committee interview at Duke that consisted of I think 7 people. It was ~15min long. They asked me why I chose that school, what my plans were in long term, what I was looking for in a graduate school, questions about my research, and other things I can't remember...but at the end they told me it seemed like I really knew why I wanted to go to grad school, which was good. Just be relaxed and answer questions thoughtfully and coherently. It really wasn't bad at all.

I had an admissions committee interview at Duke that consisted of I think 7 people. It was ~15min long. They asked me why I chose that school, what my plans were in long term, what I was looking for in a graduate school, questions about my research, and other things I can't remember...but at the end they told me it seemed like I really knew why I wanted to go to grad school, which was good. Just be relaxed and answer questions thoughtfully and coherently. It really wasn't bad at all.

Ok good to know. I was starting to panic a little bit. Thanks for calming my nerves :)  

I'm surprised that a school is offering money for early responses. Isn't the whole point of the April 15th agreement to stop that kind of competition which might move toward intimidation? Is this something other schools have been doing recently, too?

I'm not condoning it, but at least there's some monetary incentive. And there's no consequence if you wait until the 15th to decide. Also, that agreement is recommended, and not everyone abides by it. One of the schools I just interviewed at wants me to decide by the end of the month, roughly two weeks to accept. With that said, I haven't seen the monetary incentive offered elsewhere.

Can someone post the email they sent to cancel an interview that they already accepted? My sister said mine sounded kind of passive aggressive and I definitely don't want to offend anyone. I'm just 100% sure I'd be miserable if I moved there (no, I don't plan on mentioning that).

Has anyone who interviewed at Harvard BBS their first weekend heard back yet?

Username1824 I was at the first interview and haven't heard back either... I got nervous late last week when I started seeing there was a good 5 or so people on the results page who got acceptances :/ are there anymore people in our boat?

Username1824 I was at the first interview and haven't heard back either... I got nervous late last week when I started seeing there was a good 5 or so people on the results page who got acceptances :/ are there anymore people in our boat?

I wouldn't worry! I talked with a person on the BBS adcom and he said that the majority of the acceptances (from people who visited the first weekend) are sent out after both interview weekends are over.

I went to the first interview weekend and heard back on Tuesday, Feb 11.

I heard back on the 13th, so it seems the decisions are coming out in a trickle rather than one big wave. I also got the decision in a phone call from one of the profs I met with, so it may be dependent on various faculty's schedules.

Can someone post the email they sent to cancel an interview that they already accepted? My sister said mine sounded kind of passive aggressive and I definitely don't want to offend anyone. I'm just 100% sure I'd be miserable if I moved there (no, I don't plan on mentioning that).

Dear ______,

As you are aware, I had planned on visiting the XYZ program the weekend of ___.  I regret to inform you that my circumstances have changed and I will no longer be in attendance, thus I am withdrawing my application.  Thank you so very much for considering me for the program.  

Warm Regards,

rat.girl

Here was mine: 

Dear [name],

I'm very sorry for the late notice, but I wanted to let you know that I've decided not to attend the [program] interview, in light of a recent offer at a school at which I feel my research interests are a better fit [or whatever reason].

Of course, I'm nonetheless honored to have received an interview invitation from [program], and very much appreciate the opportunity. I just feel that, in light of these factors, it would be irresponsible of me to take up more of the department's time and money by attending the interview at this stage.

Thanks very much,

[your name]

I'm not condoning it, but at least there's some monetary incentive. And there's no consequence if you wait until the 15th to decide. Also, that agreement is recommended, and not everyone abides by it. One of the schools I just interviewed at wants me to decide by the end of the month, roughly two weeks to accept. With that said, I haven't seen the monetary incentive offered elsewhere.

Well, they also just said that they couldn't promise anything after April 1st but I think that is kind of BS. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still possible to get the money (like if you're legitimately wavering between one school and another). If they offer the money before April 1st, why wouldn't they have it after April 1st, especially if it could make or break someone's decision?? I know USC has plenty of money, after all. Maybe it's just their way of opening the negotiating table, should it be necessary. They are allowing themselves to make the first move.

As for timing, I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that I can make a decision by sometime in March anyway, so a couple of weeks before the actual deadline shouldn't be a big deal....I hope. Any thoughts on this? Is that an unrealistic expectation? I'm assuming it really just depends.... :/

Well, they also just said that they couldn't promise anything after April 1st but I think that is kind of BS. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still possible to get the money (like if you're legitimately wavering between one school and another). If they offer the money before April 1st, why wouldn't they have it after April 1st, especially if it could make or break someone's decision?? I know USC has plenty of money, after all. Maybe it's just their way of opening the negotiating table, should it be necessary. They are allowing themselves to make the first move.

As for timing, I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that I can make a decision by sometime in March anyway, so a couple of weeks before the actual deadline shouldn't be a big deal....I hope. Any thoughts on this? Is that an unrealistic expectation? I'm assuming it really just depends.... :/

I think it depends. If you're holding out to hear back from a school you interviewed with and is one of your top picks, you may want to wait a bit. I know there must be a huge sense of relief once you officially confirm where you're going to be in the Fall, but for me, I will probably take all the time I have to make a decision. It just feels very daunting making such a big decision, and I want to consider all aspects. In my case specifically, I have already confirmed interviews for March, so I need a couple more weeks. However, if you already know where you want to go and are aware that you won't likely change your mind, go for it! :)

I think it depends. If you're holding out to hear back from a school you interviewed with and is one of your top picks, you may want to wait a bit.

This is certainly true. I am hoping schools will get back to us within a reasonable time frame, though (like sometime in March). I just don't know how realistic this is. And I definitely feel you on wanting to take everything into consideration as much as possible!

So....people who've already done this before. Once you were done with interviews and had some offers, how long did it take you to make a decision? Any tips or tricks for this?

Ugh I didn't think anyone got accepted to Harvard yet. Now I'm stressed. Congrats on those who got in though!

Only for some of the programs. I know for a fact that for other programs the results are due in the next couple of weeks.

Accepted at Baylor College of Medicine - Neuroscience.

Two members of the admissions committee and two other PIs had made some clear hints during the interview that I was at the very top of the list, and going to be accepted. Received confirmation two days later!

A great community for research, very friendly and collaborative environment, really enjoyed meeting the people. I would say, "awesome" in a word! Good luck to all!

For all who've been accepted, what are your funding offers like?  Stipend? TAship? Health Insurance?  I thought it might be a nice side discussion to get away from the application/admission stress.

Accepted at Baylor College of Medicine - Neuroscience.

Two members of the admissions committee and two other PIs had made some clear hints during the interview that I was at the very top of the list, and going to be accepted. Received confirmation two days later!

A great community for research, very friendly and collaborative environment, really enjoyed meeting the people. I would say, "awesome" in a word! Good luck to all!

Congrats!!

I'm actually interviewing at BCM this week. Although the program is different from yours, it's good to know these positive opinions about their environment and community before I get there. :)

Edited by Science_Nerd

For all who've been accepted, what are your funding offers like?  Stipend? TAship? Health Insurance?  I thought it might be a nice side discussion to get away from the application/admission stress.

So far I have two admission offers, and they both have just stipend, and don't require students to TA or get competitive fellowship from external sources. And they both have pretty good health insurance for students, but I believe I still have to pay a small portion of the total costs. but it covers general health insurance and both eyes and dental.

Edited by Science_Nerd