2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

I know, right? I have an offer  from Drexel University but no information about funding and what is PhD without funding? Baffles me why they would even hand out such offer!

BTW, I have heard back from Roswell Park today and my interview is scheduled Feb 20th. It is a skype interview with a faculty I mentioned in my SOP. When was yours? I wonder if this is the final week with only skype interviews.

Roswell Park, that one was done. It was on 10th Feb for their recruitment event and they said that was the only recruitment event. Now I am waiting for 1, just 1 offer an that will be great for this year

Anyone out there apply to the BEES concentration at Maryland, College Park? Have you heard anything yet? My POI said I'd probably be in the second round, but so far it's been silent!

Silent for me too. But I heard from someone at my last interview that he got an acceptance with my POI. At least it wasn't high on my list!

Wow that's pretty generous.  Does that mean your total pay for Fall '14 to Fall '15 (one calendar year) is $33k?  Way to go either way!  My healthcare and fees are covered as well.  

Total pay for summer '14-fall '15 is 33k (1 calendar year of $27k and an early summer $6 incentive). I got a competitive recruiting fellowship that is pretty generous in order to pull students in. It's doing a good job.

Total pay for summer '14-fall '15 is 33k (1 calendar year of $27k and an early summer $6 incentive). I got a competitive recruiting fellowship that is pretty generous in order to pull students in. It's doing a good job.

I see.  So after year 1 will they continue to give you the summer stipend or just the regular $27k?

To those who got waitlisted for Dartmouth mcb (if they even see this) did you interview? Which weekend? Thanks!

Hey I am one of the people who was wait listed. I interviewed at the first weekend and I got the wait list email from the director this morning.  

Anyone know when CU Boulder EBIO makes decisions? 

They are making decisions right now (lab nominations are going in this week). There is some pretty interesting stuff going on in the department this year, and they will likely only be accepting a few students because of funding issues it seems like.

I just called Baylor Immunology, they said they haven't sent out any invitations yet but will be very very soon. I couldn't get an exact date out of her, but hope this helps! She also said she remembered me and asked me if I was still interested, to which I said "YES, OF COURSE!"

Hey I am one of the people who was wait listed. I interviewed at the first weekend and I got the wait list email from the director this morning.

Thanks for the reply! I guess they are doing the first weekend then the second. I'm losing my mind waiting haha.

They are making decisions right now (lab nominations are going in this week). There is some pretty interesting stuff going on in the department this year, and they will likely only be accepting a few students because of funding issues it seems like.

Thank you for the quick reply :)

I see.  So after year 1 will they continue to give you the summer stipend or just the regular $27k?

I haven't gotten a definite number, because I'm waiting to hear back on the NSF GRFP (uni. will give me a bonus couple $k on top of that) and three university fellowship nominations. Those all have comparable stipends of $27k/yr. If don't get any of those, then I'll drop to about $17k on an RA.

Did you get a good sense at the interview when they would be letting us know? I was sure we would be hearing by as soon as Tuesday, and still nothing. I received some really positive emails in response to my thank you emails, such as "In my eyes, you are a complete yes". I may have gotten my hopes up too soon! I am getting very anxious.

I also heard that it would be in a couple of days... I never sent any post-interview thank you emails though... did hear one applicant say that interviewers do not affect the decisions, that the interview weekend was to just let the applicants see the school. not sure if it's true...probably not.

I haven't gotten a definite number, because I'm waiting to hear back on the NSF GRFP (uni. will give me a bonus couple $k on top of that) and three university fellowship nominations. Those all have comparable stipends of $27k/yr. If don't get any of those, then I'll drop to about $17k on an RA.

I see.  That's different from mine in that my stipend is a constant $26.6k per year

I see.  That's different from mine in that my stipend is a constant $26.6k per year

I was told that I won't have a final 5 year funding package assembled until I hear back about fellowships. But I only need to TA 1 semester, and I do a lot of international field work, so it's best if I get external funding, instead of an RA or TA. I guess I'll just have to wait until end of March until I know for sure. At least my first year looks great.

Hey, I got waitlisted as well. I was in the second week of interviews.

I was at the second weekend too and I haven't heard anything. I'm so nervous! I wonder how they're going about this...