2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

I've got Davis Micro tomorrow. One 20 minute panel interview and one 20 minute informal meeting with a POI. Seems like a pretty sparse schedule. Anybody else going to be there?

I'll be there as well:-) One panel interview and two interviews with POI. See you there.

Still waiting to get that first interview invite, but someone gave a talk on DAF-16 regulation in C. elegans at my university and referenced the paper I co-authored!  Even used the specific data I contributed!  Yay, I (somewhat) matter!

Has anyone had an interview weekend with only two one-on-one interviews? Just found out that at my next interview I'm meeting with the director of graduate studies and just one of the POIs I mentioned in my statement, and those will be the only two interviews. There will be chances to meet and talk to other professors informally, but the other two visits I've done so far each had me meeting individually with at least 5 faculty members. Is it normal to meet with only two?

I had skype interviews for a program at BU with 2 professors (one-on-one interviews), one of them was the director of the program, and the other was the admissions chair. I was also a little weirded out by that, but then again, I had met one of my POIs when I previously visited the campus. I see BU is one of the schools you're interviewing at--they list on their interview page that they only usually have prospective students interview 2-3 people. Heh, after experiencing that I assumed that interviewing 5 or more was odd but it looks like it's actually the norm, at least according to this thread. 

I had skype interviews for a program at BU with 2 professors (one-on-one interviews), one of them was the director of the program, and the other was the admissions chair. I was also a little weirded out by that, but then again, I had met one of my POIs when I previously visited the campus. I see BU is one of the schools you're interviewing at--they list on their interview page that they only usually have prospective students interview 2-3 people. Heh, after experiencing that I assumed that interviewing 5 or more was odd but it looks like it's actually the norm, at least according to this thread. 

Yep, this is BU.  :)  I'm glad to know it's the norm for them. I take it you did the skype interviews in place of attending the interview weekend? I applied to CM, but they're combining the visit for CM, Neuro, and MCBB.

For those of you going to the UC Davis Immunology recruitment, I'm a bit confused.  I thought we wouldn't be having interviews, or at least we were told wouldn't have "one-on-one faculty interviews."  Yet on the schedule, there is a slot from 1:00-3:00 for interviews.  Any idea what's going on?

Yep, this is BU.   :)  I'm glad to know it's the norm for them. I take it you did the skype interviews in place of attending the interview weekend? I applied to CM, but they're combining the visit for CM, Neuro, and MCBB.

Nah, there was a little bit of silliness with my application and the dept. and I didn't discover that til February. I'm guessing they had already extended all the available offers for the recruitment weekend at that point but still wanted to talk to me so they conducted a Skype interview with me instead. Good luck at the interview, hope you have a great time! Maybe we'll be kinda-sorta cohorts later! :D

Edited by pyrocide

Nah, there was a little bit of silliness with my application and the dept. and I didn't discover that til February. I'm guessing they had already extended all the available offers for the recruitment weekend at that point but still wanted to talk to me so they conducted a Skype interview with me instead. Good luck at the interview, hope you have a great time! Maybe we'll be kinda-sorta cohorts later! :D

Thanks! Good luck! Did BU give you any idea of when they expect to extend offers?

I think I'm the earliest one...but I just accepted Duke's offer of admission. Feels good to start planning for the future! :D   Good luck to the rest of you! I might do a summary post later when this thread is wrapping up.

I accepted UTSW's offer of admission today as well!!  It feels amazing after completing this long, arduous process (twice).  Best of luck to everyone else out there!

Thanks! Good luck! Did BU give you any idea of when they expect to extend offers?

Thanks! 

After an interview a prof said they would begin sending out acceptances soon after their recruitment weekend. Been real nervous for the first week of March! 

Thanks! 

After an interview a prof said they would begin sending out acceptances soon after their recruitment weekend. Been real nervous for the first week of March! 

Totally! I think the first week of March is going to be a big one for news.

Officially rejected from U Chicago...which is fine since I've decided to attend U Penn anyways. Has anyone started to think about housing? Maybe it's too early at this point.

I've scouted out some apartments in my top choice city and emailed management about when they think I should put down a deposit. I like being well informed before I make a final decision. Plus, I may need to move in June instead of August.

Officially rejected from U Chicago...which is fine since I've decided to attend U Penn anyways. Has anyone started to think about housing? Maybe it's too early at this point.

Congrats! I've lived in Philly for 3+ years now; any questions, PM me.

Hey guys, I have a question about one-on-one interview.

Recently, Cornell admissions committee interviewed me and

head of the committee seemed to send a message to one of my POI to ask him(POI) to privately interview me. 

It was so sudden. The POI just sent me a mail today to ask me whether or not I am available tomorrow morning.

According to his mail, it's a typical "research fit test" to check my eligibility for his lab.

(This means I am close to the admission one step further.....right? I got so many rejections.....so I don't believe in myself.)

Anyway my question is if I take this interview and fortunately give him a good impression, does that mean I have to attend this lab? There is a lab rotation system in Cornell and I want to decide my thesis lab after experiencing several labs using that rotation system.

I am totally happy with his lab.....so this is minor worry but still I am just curious whether I will be able to change thesis lab after this interview goes well. 

(Think there are many similar posts here, but love to listen your opinion) 

Edited by nermah1

The lab rotation system is to help students to find a suitable lab for their thesis. So I would say you can always change the lab. (However, I would put that lab in one of my rotation to show that I am really interested in working with that professor).

Hey guys, I have a question about one-on-one interview.

Recently, Cornell admissions committee interviewed me and

head of the committee seemed to send a message to one of my POI to ask him(POI) to privately interview me. 

It was so sudden. The POI just sent me a mail today to ask me whether or not I am available tomorrow morning.

According to his mail, it's a typical "research fit test" to check my eligibility for his lab.

(This means I am close to the admission one step further.....right? I got so many rejections.....so I don't believe in myself.)

Anyway my question is if I take this interview and fortunately give him a good impression, does that mean I have to attend this lab? There is a lab rotation system in Cornell and I want to decide my thesis lab after experiencing several labs using that rotation system.

I am totally happy with his lab.....so this is minor worry but still I am just curious whether I will be able to change thesis lab after this interview goes well. 

(Think there are many similar posts here, but love to listen your opinion) 

Hey nermah1! The lab rotation system (if available) is designed to help you find an ideal fit. As long as you have not committed to  specific lab or if Cornell has told you otherwise, you can likely rotate and feel free to make your own decisions about ideal fit later. However, in agreement with zebura, it would be polite to include this professor in your rotations.