2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

MVM (molecular virology and microbio). That's interesting, I thought they were umbrella admissions. But there were a lot of MVM hopefuls on my weekend... Ack. Nothing to do but wait. I haven't been this stressed since April my senior year of high school waiting to hear from the school I'm at now. I got really good vibes from all the profs I interviewed with and talked to at the faculty dinner, and have gotten positive responses to my thank-you emails, so I'm hopeful, but maybe that's a bad thing...

They are an umbrella program, their adcom is mostly department chairs from what I got. However, they do subdivide into departments, because certain areas have more applicants to them than others (you had a specify a primary department in your application.) So when I got accepted, I was accepted into IBGP, but the pharmacology department included me in their numbers. It's kind of confusing lol. Regardless, you should've met with at least two department chairs ... also some of the students said they evaluate the applicants too.

I'm sure you did fine :) the department kept talking about how much they appreciated students who are particularly motivated for their program and who make the effort to contact them post-interview.

Edited by Mabester

They are an umbrella program, their adcom is mostly department chairs from what I got. However, they do subdivide into departments, because certain areas have more applicants to them than others (you had a specify a primary department in your application.) So when I got accepted, I was accepted into IBGP, but the pharmacology department included me in their numbers. It's kind of confusing lol. Regardless, you should've met with at least two department chairs ... also some of the students said they evaluate the applicants too.

I'm sure you did fine :) the department kept talking about how much they appreciated students who are particularly motivated for their program and who make the effort to contact them post-interview.

OK, I see. I did meet with some program directors, and one professor I know who was on the adcom. Thanks for the info!! I really, really hope I hear soon.

Got into UConn! No word on funding or when I could visit, just an acceptance on the website. I have options! Woo. :)

Congrats!!

But now it's the start of a terrible dilemma which one to say No to lol haha

Accepted to UC Denver with an additional fellowship nomination. I should feel happy but now I feel torn and terrible that I have to say no to someone.

Were you at the recruitment this past weekend? I was too, for a different program. I know my program director is in Europe this week so I shouldn't be expecting a decision so soon, but I'm anxious, damnit!

Were you at the recruitment this past weekend? I was too, for a different program. I know my program director is in Europe this week so I shouldn't be expecting a decision so soon, but I'm anxious, damnit!

Yup! Which program were you interviewing for?

Dartmouth MCB will be emailing people again tomorrow...Tomorrow will either be wonderful or horrible.

Oh really? Any idea of how their admissions process is proceeding?

Maybe I'm daft but I've searched around and can't find an answer to my question. I know the "big" fellowships obviously look great on a resume, but what about recruitment fellowships? Do they have much weight? Thanks, guys:)

At what point is it acceptable to call/email to see whether they've reached a decision on your application?  I got a lot of "You'll hear from us by March 1st" but haven't heard a peep of accepted/rejected/waitlisted.

At what point is it acceptable to call/email to see whether they've reached a decision on your application?  I got a lot of "You'll hear from us by March 1st" but haven't heard a peep of accepted/rejected/waitlisted.

Id probably wait until Monday.