2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

I was at the second weekend too and I haven't heard anything. I'm so nervous! I wonder how they're going about this...

My guess is that acceptances and rejections are all out of the way, at this point. It is coming down to simply waitlisting now. However, I have a bad feeling that being waitlisted is analgous to being rejected hahaha

I thought I heard Dolph say that they send more offers than will actually be accepted, which means people on the waitlist will have to deal with not only their position on the waitlist but the possibility that no one on the waitlist will get in at all.

I don't mean to be dismal, I just have a bad feeling about waitlists lol

Aside from that depressing non-sense, out of curiosity were you at the Residence inn or the Six South street?

My guess is that acceptances and rejections are all out of the way, at this point. It is coming down to simply waitlisting now. However, I have a bad feeling that being waitlisted is analgous to being rejected hahaha

I thought I heard Dolph say that they send more offers than will actually be accepted, which means people on the waitlist will have to deal with not only their position on the waitlist but the possibility that no one on the waitlist will get in at all.

I don't mean to be dismal, I just have a bad feeling about waitlists lol

Aside from that depressing non-sense, out of curiosity were you at the Residence inn or the Six South street?

I messaged you :)

On 2/19/2014 at 11:09 PM, elanorci said:

Anyone going to WashU tomorrow? See you there if so :)

I'm going to WashU tomorrow as well but for a different program.

If multiple programs are interviewing tomorrow, the campus might be crowded with us marching prospective students in suits! :)

Has anyone had an interview weekend with only two one-on-one interviews? Just found out that at my next interview I'm meeting with the director of graduate studies and just one of the POIs I mentioned in my statement, and those will be the only two interviews. There will be chances to meet and talk to other professors informally, but the other two visits I've done so far each had me meeting individually with at least 5 faculty members. Is it normal to meet with only two?

Has anyone had an interview weekend with only two one-on-one interviews? Just found out that at my next interview I'm meeting with the director of graduate studies and just one of the POIs I mentioned in my statement, and those will be the only two interviews. There will be chances to meet and talk to other professors informally, but the other two visits I've done so far each had me meeting individually with at least 5 faculty members. Is it normal to meet with only two?

Mine have ranged from 3-7 so far. I'd say 2 is unusual, but not totally unheard of. Make 'em count!

At Princeton QCB, each student had only two half-hour interviews with faculty, and some faculty were double booked (i.e., two students interviewed at one time in the same half-hour time slot). I just got my schedule for CMU-Pitt yesterday, and this one also has only two interview slots, but they are each an hour and a half in length and are labeled as "1 on 1 with faculty," so I wonder if multiple interviews will be held at these times. Anyway, I would say it is unusual for a program to have only two interviews, but it is the way some programs do it.

First post-interview rejection. Now THAT stings, hardcore. One of my top choices too!

Haven't had that happen yet, not looking forward to it if it does.  I'm sure you'll still go somewhere great!

After I heard from Rutgers on Tuesday, I emailed Hopkins PMB to check on my application since they are the only program I have heard nothing from. I got a response today saying that they had "extended the first round of invitations to interview in March," but that was all that was said. Seems pretty much in line with the response @ERR_Alpha got recently, but I thought it would be best to share nevertheless.

Haven't had that happen yet, not looking forward to it if it does.  I'm sure you'll still go somewhere great!

Thanks, I hope so! I'll be at their rival school this weekend...can you say MOTIVATION/PAYBACK?

Edited by ss2player

I've got Davis Micro tomorrow. One 20 minute panel interview and one 20 minute informal meeting with a POI. Seems like a pretty sparse schedule. Anybody else going to be there?

Right here mate.

Yep. Same boat.  Luckily it's been snowing a lot in the NE, so I've been shoveling snow as an escape.  I'm actually kind of sad it's all melting now.  Need a new distraction.

I heard that Davis accepts most of their interview invites, but that the interview is mostly to see who they want to give more funding/scholarships to. I heard this from a graduate, but don't believe this is true. However, we don't have any interviews during the entire weekend... Anyone know more about this?

I heard that Davis accepts most of their interview invites, but that the interview is mostly to see who they want to give more funding/scholarships to. I heard this from a graduate, but don't believe this is true. However, we don't have any interviews during the entire weekend... Anyone know more about this?

I have heard from faculty in a few biology departments across campus confirm this. You're tentatively accepted, but they want to make sure they you aren't a crazy person that they can't handle for 5+ years and they want to decide who gets the most competitive funding. (Current UC Davis student)