"countdown to april 15th" thread

frankdux

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still here because I'm waiting for the NSF to get back to me even though they likely won't by the 15th and I'll have to tell one program on the 15th even though I may get a 3 year grant for a project I built at another institution. (Which I haven't even been accepted to...) Awkward!

I have no idea what I'll do if this actually happens. We've just been assuming our proposal will get rejected. It's a very safe assumption given the NSF funding rates, but if I feel like I have to wait as long as possible just to make sure because I'd feel terrible if we found out and I had already told them yes and would have to change etc etc etc...

On reflection, maybe we shouldn't have applied for it...

Provided the waiting list is ranked, the department should notify applicants as soon as a position becomes available, correct? After reading a few posts, it seems that some people are under the impression that the juggling of admissions will commence after April 15th.

I'm curious because I'm in the top position on a ranked waiting list. I'm trying to determine if my chances begin -- or abruptly end -- on April 15th.

The 15th is the deadline when people will accept or reject offers. If your at the top of a waitlist, that'll get you a spot. For the programs aimed at having a well rounded cohort, they'll have to look at who accepted and those they need to keep the cohort well rounded and contact them with offers, if they reject, then someone else may come up, this can only happen after the 15th.

The 15th is the deadline when people will accept or reject offers. If your at the top of a waitlist, that'll get you a spot.

Yes, provided that someone declines their offer. So far, no one has declined their offer and April 15th is around the corner. This is not looking good...

I agree things don't look too good. But if people have not rejected a spot that you are waitlisted for becuase they are on a waitlist for another school, then we all have to wait for the deadlines that force people to act or lose their spot. Not all school are CGS member and don't have to follow the April 15th guideline. So for some programs, if you don't hear by the end of April, you'll be waiting for a spot to come up in august if someone backs out last minute if you haven't accepted anywhere else.

The 15th is the deadline when people will accept or reject offers. If your at the top of a waitlist, that'll get you a spot. For the programs aimed at having a well rounded cohort, they'll have to look at who accepted and those they need to keep the cohort well rounded and contact them with offers, if they reject, then someone else may come up, this can only happen after the 15th.

I got the feeling from the reply to an email I sent off that I am in the latter category. I was told that they ( I assume adcom) would look to complement the incoming cohort with people from the wait-list. I was also told that the wait-list was not ranked. I kind of wish that it was-- and then, maybe, just maybe, I'd have an inkling at my chances. :lol:

I was also told that I would hear later in the month.

OK so what do I do if April 15 comes and the school that wait listed me still won't give me any information (none at all) about my status? Just accept the school I'll accept if I don't get in (and maybe even if I do)? What if I hear from this school after April 15 that I was miraculously accepted? Even if it turns out I'd rather go there, wouldn't it be bad form to break a commitment?

OK so what do I do if April 15 comes and the school that wait listed me still won't give me any information (none at all) about my status? Just accept the school I'll accept if I don't get in (and maybe even if I do)? What if I hear from this school after April 15 that I was miraculously accepted? Even if it turns out I'd rather go there, wouldn't it be bad form to break a commitment?

Yes. Feel good about yourself. And Yes.

I think though breaking a commitment is bad, it is acceptable if your acceptance from the other school comes only after the 15th of April. It is perfectly legitimate and in keeping with the council of grad schools resolution.These schools deal with this kind of thing all the time and they won't go around telling schools that you are one big traitor if you tell them that you wish to attend the other school. They would sign a release and let you move on. Its a matter of 5 long years and a matter of your future and you should absolutely go to the school which you want to attend if it accepts you after the 15th. For the time being, accept the offer from the other school. I however don't know if you should mention this to your prospective adviser or somebody from this school that has already made you an offer. If you are confident about your chances at the other school, maybe you should. You could maybe ask the other school one last time about how good your chances are of making it off the waitlist by the end of this month or so..

Thanks for the CGS list; I didn't know about that. I think April 15 may be meaningless for me--

I've been wait-listed at a school that's not on this list--they do not award fellowships or assistantships. Do you all think this means that my waiting could continue indefinitely?

Thanks for the CGS list; I didn't know about that. I think April 15 may be meaningless for me--

I've been wait-listed at a school that's not on this list--they do not award fellowships or assistantships. Do you all think this means that my waiting could continue indefinitely?

I think it just means you have to wait until everyone acepts or rejects before they look at the waitlist. This might be longer than the 15th, but if you're not off by may or in may you're probably waiting for someone to back out last minute. Keep hope alive!