Moving to Canada (advice on banks, cell phones, etc.)

Hopeful is right...it's not necessary. You can get along pretty well without it. I started learning french as a kid, so for me to become fluent won't take as much time or effort. I love the language, so I'm looking forward to it.

Also, I think it's only proper to at least attempt to speak the dominant language of the place I'm going to live for the next 4+ years. Seems the respectful thing to do.

Normally, I would agree. That's why I speak Spanish and Portuguese after spending so much time in Latin America. But I would say Montreal is a different beast. Not sure I would even classify French as a 'dominant' language in this case. In the actual city of Montreal (ie, the island and especially the centre and west), English-only speakers make up a pretty decent sized minority, and bilingual speakers make up the majority. Depending on where you live, the chances you actually run into someone who doesn't speak some form of passable English is pretty low, especially among the younger demographic. So in other words, it's not like it's really 'disrespectful' to not speak French.

That being said, I rarely spoke English when I went into stores or to buy things, or things like this. But if someone tried to have a conversation with me, it wasn't going to work out.

--------

For the people who actually want to learn French, you have to be strategic in Montreal. I would say, all things considered, Montreal is the worst place to learn French in the world (out of French speaking areas of course). 

If someone sees that you are weak in French, they will instantly switch to English. Usually whenever someone started talking to me in French (ask for directions, ect.) I would say 'pardon' and boom they ask the same thing in perfect English. I don't know what the actual stats are, but in downtown and adjacent areas I would say 80% of the population is easily passable bilingual. 

So in other words, it can actually be hard to immerse yourself in Montreal. I would recommend getting roommates that are francophone and speak English poorly. I would also recommend looking for apartments in more francophone neighbourhoods. If you like entertainment or nightlife, go to places that are predominantly French establishments. Lastly, the further away you get from Montreal proper, the more French it becomes. Spending time in the far suburbs or other parts of Quebec on occasion will definitely help. Quebec is a nice province, so any chance you get to get outside of Montreal is a great way of immersing yourself properly in French.

Maybe picking up the language will be easier when I get there, because here in the Philippines, I hardly know anyone who speaks French.

When are you planning to move to Montreal?

Normally, I would agree. That's why I speak Spanish and Portuguese after spending so much time in Latin America. But I would say Montreal is a different beast. Not sure I would even classify French as a 'dominant' language in this case. In the actual city of Montreal (ie, the island and especially the centre and west), English-only speakers make up a pretty decent sized minority, and bilingual speakers make up the majority. Depending on where you live, the chances you actually run into someone who doesn't speak some form of passable English is pretty low, especially among the younger demographic. So in other words, it's not like it's really 'disrespectful' to not speak French.

That being said, I rarely spoke English when I went into stores or to buy things, or things like this. But if someone tried to have a conversation with me, it wasn't going to work out.

--------

For the people who actually want to learn French, you have to be strategic in Montreal. I would say, all things considered, Montreal is the worst place to learn French in the world (out of French speaking areas of course). 

If someone sees that you are weak in French, they will instantly switch to English. Usually whenever someone started talking to me in French (ask for directions, ect.) I would say 'pardon' and boom they ask the same thing in perfect English. I don't know what the actual stats are, but in downtown and adjacent areas I would say 80% of the population is easily passable bilingual. 

So in other words, it can actually be hard to immerse yourself in Montreal. I would recommend getting roommates that are francophone and speak English poorly. I would also recommend looking for apartments in more francophone neighbourhoods. If you like entertainment or nightlife, go to places that are predominantly French establishments. Lastly, the further away you get from Montreal proper, the more French it becomes. Spending time in the far suburbs or other parts of Quebec on occasion will definitely help. Quebec is a nice province, so any chance you get to get outside of Montreal is a great way of immersing yourself properly in French.

This (especially the people switching to English when I tried to use crappy French) summarizes my experience in Montreal exactly!

Unfortunately the free classes aren't totally free. They recently raised the fees to about $75/course, which runs for about 2 months. Still probably the best deal around though!

Ahhh yes, the great CAQ application process. My advice: Apply as soon as possible and hope for the best. The website says they try to process them in 20 days but that has not been my experience at all, and that doesn't include time for mailing.

Others have had a better time of it and I hope you do too!

• 2 weeks later...