Applying for Fall 2014 Sociology?

socialequity

Wow - a week until the term starts so revisiting and posting that if any Swede (or Scandinavian) will be applying this cycle and feel like that want a peek at where they stand in comparison to being accepted then feel free to pm me. My experiences, grades, and whatnot does not really feel like comparable to most U.S students so you guys better pm the others :P 

So I'm trying to figure out whether or not to apply to sociology programs. I had never considered sociology until a friend suggested I look into a number of programs. After looking into a few, especially those at Stanford and Berkeley, I'm intrigued. My interests are in networks (as in illicit trade networks) and social movements. Up until now I have mostly done work on international security and policy issues, which is very fitting to political science programs. And so, I am conflicted.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of going into a sociology program rather than a political science or possibly criminology program?

Does anyone know of professors or programs that are fitting to my interests in illicit economies and social movements?

Thanks! Any help is appreciated. At least I can start to narrow down programs and schools ASAP.

So I'm trying to figure out whether or not to apply to sociology programs. I had never considered sociology until a friend suggested I look into a number of programs. After looking into a few, especially those at Stanford and Berkeley, I'm intrigued. My interests are in networks (as in illicit trade networks) and social movements. Up until now I have mostly done work on international security and policy issues, which is very fitting to political science programs. And so, I am conflicted.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of going into a sociology program rather than a political science or possibly criminology program?

Does anyone know of professors or programs that are fitting to my interests in illicit economies and social movements?

Thanks! Any help is appreciated. At least I can start to narrow down programs and schools ASAP.

Just from the perspective of your research interests and networks/illicit trade networks then I would think that sociology is a great fit if you want to attack it from a novel perspective.  Sociologists are the driving researchers of social network analysis in social sciences and you would probably be able to do great things if you had the data and interest to do micro-work.   In the sociology part of public policy research - micro studies are becoming the fundamental for all other research, rather than the grand theories of old,  so you would be able to fun research (social network analysis is much more fun than event-history or OLS.). This would be true for criminology as well which is increasingly becoming linked to sociology through transdisciplinary centers/programs.  This is obviously contingent on whether you want to do micro or macro.   

This is at least what is happening here in Europe where certain schools of social/public policy (i.e. not real schools but paradigms) are less tied to powerhouse program and more to research traditions.   Northwestern's cluster initiative into one of the specific geographic clusters might be an example in the U.S. 

It definitely sounds like sociology would be very good for you. One of my professors in undergrad had a sociology PHD, but focused on criminology as her main area of research expertiese. As a result, the college hired her to help launch its new "Law & Society" concentration. Also, sociology is a very diverse program of study where you find programs that offer certificates or specialized study in the area you're interested in pursuing. If you're interested in political science, I also had a professor who was a political sociologist and taught such classes as "Dictatorships and Democracy." He was a recent graduate of Brown--maybe look there?

Check out NYU.  I know some people there are doing similar work.

Hey Everyone!

I'm also in for Fall 2014 Sociology Ph.D. My emphasis (I think) will be political sociology with an emphasis on comparative democratic structures (particularly in East Asia), social inequality in these structures, and their relationship to the Internet . I just took the GRE and got:

Verbal 167 (97%)

Quant 153 (53%)

AW 5 (93%)

I've got some pretty solid research and lots of teaching experience but was a History major in undergrad so I don't have a decent sociological writing sample yet (EEK). Anyways, I'll be looking for as much advice as I can get here and make some friends. I haven't decided on which programs I'm applying to yet because I do not know (at all) which programs would be a good fit. I'll at most applying to 10. If anyone has any ideas about programs that would fit me I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks!

Edited by Gibby1749

Do you all think that one *has* to mention one's writing sample (and sort of "explain" it) in one's statement of purpose?  I am working on my statement of purpose right now, and I'm thinking of not mentioning the writing sample at all.  I feel like it speaks for itself.

I am also applying for Fall 2014. I am currently in a Phd program, but my professor (only person with my interest) took another job. I am using my old GRE format scores (1300 with a low AW score). Idk what that means with the new format. My thesis will be my writing sample. 

I have a few ASA presentations on my CV, one R&R, and one submission under review. 

I'm am narrowing down my list of schools now.  

Edited by SheWrote

I am applying for Fall 2014. I recently graduated from American University with an MA in Sociology and have a BA in Psychology. I plan on retaking the GRE in September after finishing my 8-week course. I have a solid writing sample from my thesis (qualitative) and I'm revamping my SOP. I have conference presentations and guest lectures on my CV and am working on an article submission. My research has focused primarily on women of color in STEM majors attending PWIs. My list so far is:

UT Austin

UM College Park

UCLA

UC Santa Barbara

Penn State 

Temple U

NYU 

North Carolina State

UVA

I'm hoping that an improvement in my GRE scores will eliminate the weak spot in my package *fingers crossed*

Edited by AJCooper

I am taking the GRE on September 30th for the first time.  My scores on practice tests are around 155 to 160 and 163 to 167 on the quant and verbal respectively. I'm not sure where that locates me in percentile rankings.  Does anyone know where those scores put me?

I'm completing my MA in Sociology at Arkansas State in Spring 2014. My thesis is a qualitative look at the experiences of the nonreligious here in the Bible belt.  I am looking at U of C Boulder, University of Oregon and other schools West of here for Sociology.  I have two different plans for my dissertation and I'm in the process of aligning my interests with faculty specializations and interests. I am also applying to Business PhD programs with an emphasis on Org Behavior.  Has anyone been to Eugene?  I lived in Boulder for three years so I know the lay of the land there but I'm not sure if I'm going to have the time to visit Eugene this Fall.  

Hi everyone,

I am also aiming to apply for fall 2014. Much of my research falls within the area of demography and quantitative methodology. My LLB is in Sociology, with a minor in Finance. Currently working on my masters program in Applied Sociology. 

I have been told that contacting faculty members directly to discuss my interest in program is really important. Professors prefer to admit the applicants they are familiar with. Is that true? 

BTW, does anyone want to apply for Univ. of AZ? 

I am taking the GRE on September 30th for the first time.  My scores on practice tests are around 155 to 160 and 163 to 167 on the quant and verbal respectively. I'm not sure where that locates me in percentile rankings.  Does anyone know where those scores put me?

I'm completing my MA in Sociology at Arkansas State in Spring 2014. My thesis is a qualitative look at the experiences of the nonreligious here in the Bible belt.  I am looking at U of C Boulder, University of Oregon and other schools West of here for Sociology.  I have two different plans for my dissertation and I'm in the process of aligning my interests with faculty specializations and interests. I am also applying to Business PhD programs with an emphasis on Org Behavior.  Has anyone been to Eugene?  I lived in Boulder for three years so I know the lay of the land there but I'm not sure if I'm going to have the time to visit Eugene this Fall.  

Northwestern U has a joint phd program of sociology and business. you may be interested in that. 

Here is the link

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Programs/DoctoralProgram/Programs/ManagementOrganizationSociology.aspx

Probably about 70th-80th quant and 85th-95th+ verbal.  You'll be fine.  Full speed ahead.

I have been told that contacting faculty members directly to discuss my interest in program is really important. Professors prefer to admit the applicants they are familiar with. Is that true? 

Not really.  It doesn't hurt to reach out and start a conversation, but don't be long winded or a pest (I am, notably, both).  On the outside chance, it will help you get into your desired program, but that's less likely than you just getting a better sense of where you'd fit.

I'm also applying for Fall 2014. I'm particularly interested in cultural sociology, sociology of technology (in the direction of digital technology and the Internet, not scientific/medical tech), social psychology, and qualitative methods. My current list, which still needs some narrowing, is currently: Brandeis, BU, BC, & Harvard (I'm currently in Boston, so spreading my net wide here), and, elsewhere, Michigan, Northwestern, Cornell, Rutgers, UPenn, and UMD-College Park. Based solely on professors working in my areas of interest, I'm particularly keen on BC and UMD. I'll probably apply to Masters programs in Boston, as well, just in case.

I'm in the last year of my BLA in Sociology & Psychology at Lesley University, but as a non-traditional student - I did 2 years at one school, then a year off, then a semester at another, then seven years off before coming back to school almost 2 years ago. My overall GPA thus far, including all college work I've ever done, is only a 2.99 (though I expect an A in an independent study I'm finishing up now, which will drag me up to a 3.02). My GPA since returning to school is a 3.98, and I have a 4.0 in my major.

I'm taking the GREs on Tuesday, but my practice score is currently 168 verbal, 163 quantitative. I have two TA positions under my belt, am currently in an RA position which might result in publications (though they'll be, at best, under review as of application time), and expect to have stellar recommendations. I'm finishing a critical analysis paper this summer that I'm planning to use as my writing sample - I'm already pretty happy with it, and have suggested revisions to do and a couple more professors to run it through. The SOP makes me tear my hair out whenever I think about it (how much space - if any - do I devote to explaining why I left school twice/why my early GPAs are so not great? How on earth do I make myself stand out when my 'why Sociology' story is basically "A professor suggested it, and it turns out she was right?"), but I'm sure it'll come together once I sit down to do it.

So, good luck to everyone! I'll be biting my nails right along with all of you this winter, I'm sure.

Spend minimal, if any, time explaining a checkered history.  Nobody really cares that you went through some things and weren't focused before.  Your recent track record is what counts.  Making excuses for yourself just emphasizes that you didn't do well in the past, and signals that it's potentially something you're not beyond.  Discuss your strengths, not your weaknesses.  You have a strong profile (nice GRE's btw; congrats).

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to bump up this discussion since it is increasingly pertinent now that deadlines are nearing!

Hello! I received my BA in political science and minor in psychology this past June. I am applying to PhD programs in sociology for 2014. I have a 3.73 upper division and overall GPA and graduated with honors. My GRE practice scores have been in the high 150s quant and low 160s verbal but I hope to be in the 90th percentile when I take my test in mid-October. I've been prepping like a madwoman.

I don't have any publications under my belt but I was an RA in the culture and health lab at my undergrad institution through which I was second author on a poster presented at a conference and first author on a paper that I was invited to present at an international conference (and did). I've also done several independent research papers including a 60-page senior thesis.

All my recommenders have promised me "glowing" or "A-grade" letters of recommendation so I'm not worried about that at all.

My interests are the intersections of sexuality/gender, race, and deviance/social control. I'm looking into programs with a specific focus in social justice or deviance/social control. I'm particularly interested in racial/gender/sexuality stratification in deviances and social control.

Any ideas what schools I should look into? Currently my list is:

UC Davis
UCSC
UCLA
UCB
UT, Austin
UW, Seattle
NIU
maybe Northwestern.

Edited by KrisOfSteel

I'm considering UC-Berkeley, Santa Barbara, San Diego, UT-Austin, Princeton, UoM-College Park, Indiana University-Bloomington, JohnHopkins, UWash, UoW-Madison & UoA. This is it so far. Is it too ambitious to apply to all of these?

I'm not taking the GREs until October just to make sure I'm prepared for it.

What are your research interests?

I just read this thread and get the idea that about 50% of our applying cohort wants to study gender in some capacity! Does this mean less competition for the rest of us? lol. :)

I am applying Fall 2014 too.

3.93 GPA, 4.0 Soc GPA (No Statistics-based classes on my transcript though, my undergrad didn't require it and I feel like I am now doomed), GRE NO clue but I just have not been doing very well on the practice tests >.<. Nov 9, gonna POWER through Oct.  TA experience, presented my senior thesis at SSSP, using said thesis as writing sample. Running list:

Top ranked:

Columbia

Cornell

Mid ranked:
Stony Brook
CUNY
Rutgers

BC
Irvine

Lower ranked:

Binghamton

MAYBE Temple U, but it's been hard finding info on this program.

I don't know if I should apply to more or focus on perfecting my apps here. How bout the rest of you, how many are people applying to?

I just read this thread and get the idea that about 50% of our applying cohort wants to study gender in some capacity! Does this mean less competition for the rest of us? lol. :)

I am applying Fall 2014 too.

3.93 GPA, 4.0 Soc GPA (No Statistics-based classes on my transcript though, my undergrad didn't require it and I feel like I am now doomed), GRE NO clue but I just have not been doing very well on the practice tests >.<. Nov 9, gonna POWER through Oct. TA experience, presented my senior thesis at SSSP, using said thesis as writing sample. Running list:

Top ranked:

Columbia

Cornell

Mid ranked:

Stony Brook

CUNY

Rutgers

BC

Irvine

Lower ranked:

Binghamton

MAYBE Temple U, but it's been hard finding info on this program.

I don't know if I should apply to more or focus on perfecting my apps here. How bout the rest of you, how many are people applying to?

I'm trying to decide the same. I can't afford 10+ schools unless I get fee waivers so probably only 6-7. UCLA is only happening if I KILL the GRE.

Hi, I guess I'm joining this thread. I'm applying for a PhD in sociology/social policy, interest in organized crime and drug policies in Europe. At this point I'm focusing on UK schools. The biggest issue is going to be funding I think. I have found some potential supervisors at different universities and another that is considering it, which gives me hope that I'll get in somewhere. They require a research proposal and I'm a bit hung up on that. I'm trying to switch fields and I feel like I'm starting from scratch on the research front. Two masters degrees (education and public administration), but nothing in sociology. One of the profs said it didn't matter and I'm hoping he's right!

Anyone else applying outside of the US?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning on applying for 2014 admission. Currently I'm planning on applying to a mish-mash of programs (a few urban planning, a few MA programs and a half dozen PhD programs).

My interests are in cultural and urban sociology, but focusing on environmental topics. I'm interested in government and lay responses to natural and man-made disasters. To narrow it down, I'm interested in the informal groups that arise in the wake of these disasters, along with government responses and policy (or lack thereof) re: natural disasters. I'm also interested in the sociology of tourism and the sentimental and emotional responses people attribute to places. So, as I think you can see, I'm definitely attacking these issues more from a cultural standpoint, rather than a purely environmental sociology perspective.

My problem so far is finding programs that are a good fit. I've found two great ones so far: NYU (Eric Klinenberg and Harvey Molotch) and Yale (Jeffrey Alexander and Ron Eyerman). Other than that, all the programs I've looked into so far seem to be a bit of a stretch. Most departments with a focus in urban sociology seem to be tackling inequality and poverty; these issues would definitely come up in my research, but they aren't at the forefront. So, am I being too picky? Or should I be finding multiple programs that are as good a fit as I feel NYU and Yale are? Does anyone know of programs/specific scholars whose research sounds similar to my interests?

Anyway, stats:

- GRE: 162V (89%), 155Q (61%... messed this one up), and 5W (93%)

- GPA: 3.98, 4.00 Soc

- no real research experience other than a research methods class
- a few undergrad conferences

- a few prestigious scholarships/fellowships

Edited by cooltime

I guess I'll join the mix. I'm applying for fall 2014 entry for a Phd in Sociology.

Right now I'm working on my Interest Statement/Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose.

I take the GRE in a couple weeks. My previous scores expired; I didn't study then and I did OK so I'm praying that if I put some time in to study now I can do much better to be competitive.

I'm not a kid; been out of school for a while but my BS is in sociology, MS in something unrelated.

Also finding a writing sample was rough. I have a paper I wrote for a thesis that never quite happened and it's too long for a couple of the schools so I have to cut some parts out.

"Good fit" is an interesting dilemma as well. The good and bad thing about this field is that there are so many interesting questions to be answered.  I think I would fall more into economic sociology which is not a theme for many departments.