Applying for Fall 2014 Sociology?

socialequity

Hey, purehoney, I understand your frustration.  I haven't been placed on a wait list, but I know that it's exhausting waiting to hear back from universities ... just hold on to that acceptance.  You have one offer with full funding which is probably one HUGE weight off your shoulders!!  

Yes, GREs are a huge component for consideration, but I'm hoping your recommenders and personal statement helped to explain why your verbal skills are better than what a standardized test indicates.  I think their choosing to place you on the wait list really speaks to that understanding.  

I'm not saying your frustration over waiting is unwarranted!! I'm just saying that the wait list does NOT mean you are unwanted by these universities!!

*offers you some tea, with honey of course* I'm here for you!!

Did you apply for the Masters or PhD program? I haven't heard from them yet.

Rawrr, I accidentally applied for the PhD program. Maybe that's why I didn't get in. Who knows? Lol. How about you?

Thank you, gingin6789! I spent 5 months for GRE Verbal but it did not improve at all.  Hope you make a happy decision :)

Of course, purehoney! 

Hey, GRE Verbal is no picnic!!  Folks thought I'd automatically get a high score because of my background in sociology and philosophy, but it took tons of work to get mine to where it ended up.  And even with a prep class and extensive preparation, I still only got my Quant score up to the 49th percentile!! So I definitely feel your pain!!

Rawrr, I accidentally applied for the PhD program. Maybe that's why I didn't get in. Who knows? Lol. How about you?

I applied for the Masters program, because it seemed like a Masters was a semi-prerequisite for Canadian Ph.D. programs. Still haven't heard back!

I applied for the Masters program, because it seemed like a Masters was a semi-prerequisite for Canadian Ph.D. programs. Still haven't heard back!

That was my biggest mistake! Lol. Four rejections in a row with grad schools plus two rejections with my love life makes me want to hate February so much right now. Hehe. I'll even accept a wait list to somewhere just so that I don't feel like a failure right now T_T. BUT YOU GOT THIS!!!!! 

Edited by pinoysoc671

You people wouldn't believe how shitty February has been on the personal-life front. Ready to move on to better things!

I believe you. I'm in a relationship and it's been a generally shitty month. Having "the talk" about how you are moving for grad school and being told by your SO that they won't be coming with you (after making plans to do just that, and after you moved once to be with them) really f-ing stinks. Good riddance February, on to March!

I believe you. I'm in a relationship and it's been a generally shitty month. Having "the talk" about how you are moving for grad school and being told by your SO that they won't be coming with you (after making plans to do just that, and after you moved once to be with them) really f-ing stinks. Good riddance February, on to March!

the future is bright and better days await!

*gives hugs to pinoysoc, curiouslyoptimistic, and maleficent* I'm here for you!!

Also, CONGRATULATIONS to curiouslyoptimistic!!  Way to go!! *offers you some cookies and coffee this time, too, because coffee is amazing*

Thanks gingin!  You're always the first to congratulate!  I was happy for you when you heard from Lehigh, I remember you writing that they were your top choice!  Good luck with everything.

And I don't sweat the nonsense. :)

Aw shucks, curiouslyoptimistic, thank you!! :D I love celebrating acceptances because we all worked SO hard for this!!!!

YES!  Thank you so much!!!! I'm so happy they decided to accept me with such a generous tuition waiver, TA position, and stipend!!  It was truly a dream come true.  I'm still going to the Delaware weekend, so I'm gonna make my final decision around March 4 =)  Thank you for your wish of good luck as well!!  I wish you the best of luck, too!! :D

And that's the spirit!!  <3 <3 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I got accepted at New School for Social Research for PhD Sociology. Any feedback on the school/ programme?

Also what's happening with NYU. The results page of Gradcafe showed some acceptances in 3rd week of Feb and then there has been a slow stream of rejections. I called the admissions office to be told that its still early in the decision making process and I should at least wait till the end of the March.

My speculation is that they are sending out rejections as accepted students keep confirming the offers. Thoughts? Insights?