MPA or MPP at HKS

Hi,

I will be applying to HKS this fall. I have both my and undergraduate and postgraduate degree in economics (with more than 3 years of Work ex) that makes me an ideal candidate for MPA2 at HKS. However, while going through the course content of the MPP program, the MPP program sounds more enticing. The capstone project and Policy analysis exercise component of the MPP program adds a real world component to the curriculum.Also the MPP program offers political and economic development as a concentration, an area of interest for me  . However, MPA2 has no Capstone project or Policy analysis exercise component as a part of its curriculum. 

Based on my research, I am a good fit for the MPA2 program ,and though I am in no way under qualified  for the MPP program, I believe that applying to MPA2 bolsters my chance of admission. However, the curriculum of the MPP program sounds more exciting and interesting to me.

Please guide on how I should go about applying to HKS.

Hi martinet25.  I am not an expert on Harvard, but here are a few quick thoughts.

My understanding is that the MPP at Harvard is the largest of the professional masters degrees and the most generalized.  Students range from 22-year-olds with newly-minted bachelor's degrees to seasoned professionals.  There is probably something there for most qualified applicants.  The MPA is a more specialized degree, the average age of the cohort is a bit older, and many students already have a master's degree or significant economics/statistics/math coursework.  I also suspect that the career interests of the MPA candidates are a little more narrow, and more geared to analysis and policy jobs (regardless of nonprofit/NGO/government field) than the MPP, which certainly produced policy folks, but also people who go on to perform more managerial or leadership functions in a wider array of loosely-defined public service industries.  My sense is that the MPP is also a little easier to get into than the MPA, but I don't actually have any data to back that up.  Simply, they're different programs with different goals.

Then the MPA/ID is an entirely different program unto itself, as well as the MC/MPA.

I would encourage you to think really critically about what your long-term professional goals are and learn some more about the what makes the MPP and MPA career paths similar and different.  Here is where you want to reach out to career services and ask these questions directly.  What do you want to do, and which program will help you get there?  Remember that it's not just about "doing school" but investing in your own human potential to make a positive change in the world.  Which program will better prepare you to do that the way you want to?

[it's worth noting that at every US university the MPA and MPP degree distinctions mean slightly different things, so it's worth investing time to sort out the distinctions where the exist and not assuming every MPP is the same everywhere and wholly different from the MPA, etc.].

Good luck!

thanks PeterQuince, I have friends doing their MPA/MPP at Goldman, Harris. Though they received offers from Harvard, they chose other schools owing to the generous funding other schools provided. They also stress more or less on the same points that you have stressed upon that I have to do more research on my post degree aspirations.   

• 6 months later...

Hi martinet25.  I am not an expert on Harvard, but here are a few quick thoughts.

My understanding is that the MPP at Harvard is the largest of the professional masters degrees and the most generalized.  Students range from 22-year-olds with newly-minted bachelor's degrees to seasoned professionals.  There is probably something there for most qualified applicants.  The MPA is a more specialized degree, the average age of the cohort is a bit older, and many students already have a master's degree or significant economics/statistics/math coursework.  I also suspect that the career interests of the MPA candidates are a little more narrow, and more geared to analysis and policy jobs (regardless of nonprofit/NGO/government field) than the MPP, which certainly produced policy folks, but also people who go on to perform more managerial or leadership functions in a wider array of loosely-defined public service industries.  My sense is that the MPP is also a little easier to get into than the MPA, but I don't actually have any data to back that up.  Simply, they're different programs with different goals.

Then the MPA/ID is an entirely different program unto itself, as well as the MC/MPA.

I would encourage you to think really critically about what your long-term professional goals are and learn some more about the what makes the MPP and MPA career paths similar and different.  Here is where you want to reach out to career services and ask these questions directly.  What do you want to do, and which program will help you get there?  Remember that it's not just about "doing school" but investing in your own human potential to make a positive change in the world.  Which program will better prepare you to do that the way you want to?

[it's worth noting that at every US university the MPA and MPP degree distinctions mean slightly different things, so it's worth investing time to sort out the distinctions where the exist and not assuming every MPP is the same everywhere and wholly different from the MPA, etc.].

Good luck!

Would you say the HKS MPA is valued higher than the MPP?

Based on my research, MPA at HKS is much more rigorous than the MPP program. Given the preconditions of admission to the MPA program, you need to have done the requisite coursework in Economics, statistics. Also one needs to have 3 years relevant experience to gain admission to the MPA program.

But it looks like the MPA doesn't have any "core requirements" to graduate? So is the MPA perceived as more "prestigious"? Anyone have admission stats (seen them on peterson which seem incorrrect)?

• 2 months later...

MPA is more prestigious for recruiters, the batch is less than 150 each year with 50% doing dual degree with MBA or other degree thus the caliber is higher when they graduate compared to MPP policy wonks. I have an MPP by the way and I applied for MPA at HKS but on the waiting list 

• 1 year later...

Prestige really shouldn't be a factor in this process, though if admissions statistics is any indicator, the MPP (~<20% admit rate) is a bit more competitive to get into than the MPA (~30-40% admit rate depending on year). That being said, while MPP might be more competitive, recruiters generally don't care/know the difference and you should really choose based on your goals.

The MPP has a structured core curriculum with set requirements (e.g. a capstone thesis aka Policy Analysis Exercise) whereas the MPA has no such rigid requirements (it's a bit more of a "choose your own adventure" type major). Consequently, the MPA could be a quantitatively intense degree or a fluffy, soft-skills degree depending on your design. However, given that many MPA's are pursuing joint degrees, it makes sense for them to choose this route. In fact, many MPP's who begin joint degrees choose to switch over for the flexibility.

If you really want intensity/rigor, try the MPA-ID (which if prestige is a factor, is the "toughest" to get into at HKS with a ~15% admit rate).

Edited by David L.