SLP Fall 2014

I am currently a Senior at Missouri State University!! 

I am willing to go anywhere. 

I have a 3.5 GPA and I am making myself sick thinking that I will never get into grad school!! Suggestions!?

I'm waiting until December, when my Fall 2013 semester grades are officially on transcript to send applications in. I'd like to maximize my GPA (plus I'm taking 16 credits of JUST CDS classes this semester, so a 4.0 would look good). Anyone know if they look down upon anyone who applies a month/few weeks before deadline?

I'm waiting until December, when my Fall 2013 semester grades are officially on transcript to send applications in. I'd like to maximize my GPA (plus I'm taking 16 credits of JUST CDS classes this semester, so a 4.0 would look good). Anyone know if they look down upon anyone who applies a month/few weeks before deadline?

I hope not! because that is my plan too!

Hi everyone! My name is Chrissy and I am a senior at the University of Florida majoring in Linguistics and Communication Sciences and Disorders. I have a 3.81 overall GPA, 3.91 upper-division GPA, and 3.93 major (CSD) GPA. I am super excited to find out where I get in. My GRE results weren't great, but they are in the range for the places I am applying. Verbal: 155 (66th %), Quantitative: 155 (61st %), Analytical Writing: 5.5 (97th %).

Experiences: Volunteering/observing in basically every speech and audiology clinic in Gainesville for 4 years.

Senior honors thesis

Working in 2 research labs

Work experience being a personal assistant for a blind woman and an autistic woman

Research scholarship

Disability award

I am applying to: Vanderbilt, U Wisconsin-Madison, UNC Chapel Hill, U Pittsburgh, Penn State, San Diego State, Florida State, U Maryland,and  Boston U. I actually already sent in my applications! I will update transcipts and send in supplemental forms once fall grades come in. FSU is my "safety" I guess, but  I do not really have any sure-fire safeties. My reasoning is that I have worked my butt off as an undergraduate and that I do not want to settle.

I see all you guys here and I feel really intimidated. But you gotta keep in mind that if people are anal enough to seek out an SLP application forum, they are prolly the more stiff of the competition.

For those stressing about Admissions Stats:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/washington-and-lee-counts-incomplete-applications-amid-debate-over-college-data/2013/09/16/17fa0a88-1714-11e3-be6e-dc6ae8a5b3a8_story.html

Hope this link works and provides a bit of consolation to those who have chewed their nails to the bone and pulled the hair out of their eyebrows, haha.

Also, I met with an admissions counselor last week who explained the process during "application season." Leadership skills, sound experiences, letters of recommendation, and personal statements can out weigh a low GPA and low GRE, though GPA and GRE can make up about 50% of the application. Hope everyone is having a BLAST filling out CSDCAS :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/washington-and-lee-counts-incomplete-applications-amid-debate-over-college-data/2013/09/16/17fa0a88-1714-11e3-be6e-dc6ae8a5b3a8_story.html

Hope this link works and provides a bit of consolation to those who have chewed their nails to the bone and pulled the hair out of their eyebrows, haha.

Also, I met with an admissions counselor last week who explained the process during "application season." Leadership skills, sound experiences, letters of recommendation, and personal statements can out weigh a low GPA and low GRE, though GPA and GRE can make up about 50% of the application. Hope everyone is having a BLAST filling out CSDCAS :)

LOLZ fun with CSDCAS.

Hello! This is my first time posting! My name is Emilee and I'm a senior at University of Illinois in speech and hearing science. I have a 3.7 GPA, 157 Verbal, 159 Quantitative, 3.5 Writing. Graduating a year early, volunteered at two schools, 3 years experience working at a daycare, and some other organizations. 

My fiance' and I just bought a house in Southern Illinois so I'm only applying to the 3 nearby universities! So nervous I won't get in to any of these schools although they aren't exactly prestigious. 

I have also been told that the admissions stats are also deceptive. The "admitted" people at a school you applied to that you feel is in your caliber also take into account all those people that think of it as a "safety" school. Those people with perfect GREs and 4.0 GPAs that apply "just in case" they don't get in at Vanderbilt or U of Iowa. If you look at some websites they give application stats of the current class, but I have only seen this a couple of times.

I have also been told that the admissions stats are also deceptive. The "admitted" people at a school you applied to that you feel is in your caliber also take into account all those people that think of it as a "safety" school. Those people with perfect GREs and 4.0 GPAs that apply "just in case" they don't get in at Vanderbilt or U of Iowa. If you look at some websites they give application stats of the current class, but I have only seen this a couple of times.

But on the other side, I know a lot of people that are applying to places like Vandy or UNC Chapel Hill just for kicks. Some students in my undergraduate program  (UF) are applying to the grad program here even though they know they wont get in. So it may say 300 applied on Edfind, but maybe 50 of them really have no shot.

Hello All,

I am an undergrad at the Ohio State University this is my 3rd semester here, I transferred from the University of Akron and the journey has not been easy. I've made many mistakes in these past years, my GPA from Akron is a 3.0, I was hoping to do perfectly here at OSU but I haven't been, Ive had to work almost full time to help out my parents. Right now my GPA is at a 2.8, not good at ALL! I should be applying for grad schools for the Fall of 2014 but I don't know if its even worth it. I haven't taken my GRE and haven't even started observation hours. I want to aim to graduate with a 3.2-3.4 in the Summer. I am a female and I'm bilingual. I am involved in NSSLHA. 

Seeing all of your stats made me feel like I am slacking off completely.

Can anyone please recommend/advise me what I should do to better my undergrad career and help me get into grad school?

But on the other side, I know a lot of people that are applying to places like Vandy or UNC Chapel Hill just for kicks. Some students in my undergraduate program  (UF) are applying to the grad program here even though they know they wont get in. So it may say 300 applied on Edfind, but maybe 50 of them really have no shot.

I've heard of people doing this too.

Hello All,

I am an undergrad at the Ohio State University this is my 3rd semester here, I transferred from the University of Akron and the journey has not been easy. I've made many mistakes in these past years, my GPA from Akron is a 3.0, I was hoping to do perfectly here at OSU but I haven't been, Ive had to work almost full time to help out my parents. Right now my GPA is at a 2.8, not good at ALL! I should be applying for grad schools for the Fall of 2014 but I don't know if its even worth it. I haven't taken my GRE and haven't even started observation hours. I want to aim to graduate with a 3.2-3.4 in the Summer. I am a female and I'm bilingual. I am involved in NSSLHA. 

Seeing all of your stats made me feel like I am slacking off completely.

Can anyone please recommend/advise me what I should do to better my undergrad career and help me get into grad school?

A lot of grad schools have a minimum GPA of a 3.0 for all applicants, but some of the lesser-known schools may not. If you apply for Fall 2014, schools are going to see your GPA after this semester, so try to boost your GPA to a 3.0 during this fall if possible. Also if you explain your situation, full-time work, that may show responsibility and dedication to the admissions team. Did you do well in the prereq courses? Committees like to see A's in the speech/hearing classes and don't mind so much if you screwed up in calc or something.

Some programs really accept all types of students. I know NOVA here in Florida accepts many people.

what schools offer this year stats?

I know some schools will give an avg

Sorry, I was at least on last year when I was still considering SLP and I know it was an SLP school. I know most of them will give the admissions but not those that actually accepted the offer. If I come back across the one I found I will post it. It would be interesting to compare the two.

If a school requires an interview, and I live far away.... do I have to go there for the personal interview or will they skype me? 

I am from missouri looking at going to New york!? any schools yall know of that are easy to get in!?

Hello! This is my first time posting! My name is Emilee and I'm a senior at University of Illinois in speech and hearing science. I have a 3.7 GPA, 157 Verbal, 159 Quantitative, 3.5 Writing. Graduating a year early, volunteered at two schools, 3 years experience working at a daycare, and some other organizations. 

My fiance' and I just bought a house in Southern Illinois so I'm only applying to the 3 nearby universities! So nervous I won't get in to any of these schools although they aren't exactly prestigious. 

Hi emikate51!

I'm happy to see an Illinois native in this post.. all I ever weed through is Florida or California or what-have-you! I'm interested- what schools are you talking about? SIUE, SIUC, and?? I'm applying to both of those, as well as ISU, NIU, and EIU! My stats and experiences aren't as great as yours, so you're what I would consider "the competition" ;) but from what I have heard and learned about the programs, it sounds like you will be a shoe-in!! :) 

Hi all!

While looking around and researching schools I was happy to stumble upon this website and feed! I am in the process of applying to speech path graduate schools for Fall 2014. I'm finishing my undergrad at the University of Northern Iowa but plan to apply to around 5 schools including UNI. My cumulative GPA isn't very competitive (3.5)  major (3.7) so I've been trying to find schools that accept studuents will lower gpa's...do you guys reccomend any? I am studying my butt off for the gre and working on my personal statement so I can better my chances but thought it wouldn't hurt to see what you guys think! Any feedback would be helpful :)

Thanks!!

Rach925: your numbers look similar to mine. I'm waiting on responses to my Spring 2014 applications. One thing I wish I could have done was shadow a SLP. Maybe you can try to do that and get experience though that. Good luck!

Rach925: Hi! I'm also applying to UNI for Fall 2014! Actually, I've already sent in my application a few weeks ago. I'm just waiting 3-4 weeks (according to the admissions officer) before I know the result and I sure hope it's positive. If ever we both end up there, I'm glad I already know someone I guess. :P Please feel free to tell me any unpublished info about the grad program at UNI. Haha. 

Hey everyone! Just thought I'd get in on the fun and introduce myself to everyone who's in the same boat / applying to SLP programs!

I'm currently a senior at the University of Virginia, majoring in Linguistics (I sadly didn't figure out I wanted to do SLP until it was too late for me to apply to our CSD undergrad program). Anyways, I feel like a somewhat middle of the road applicant, so I'm not sure what my chances are at the schools I'm looking at -- at all! (Any help or advice greatly appreciated, haha!) My stats: overall GPA is 3.69, with my major GPA being a bit higher, though I haven't calculated what it is exactly (yet). GREs are kind of all over the place, haha. For some reason I decided to take them twice.. not that it did me much good! 1st try was V:165, Q:152, AW:5.5 and 2nd try was V:161, Q:155, AW:5. My most extensive experience is in TAing & teaching ESL classes, with some observational/volunteering experience in an SLP summer program for 3-4 yr old kids.

I'm currently narrowing down my list of school to apply to, but so far it looks like I'll be applying to most of the Virginia schools (UVA, James Madison, Old Dominion, Radford), UMD, a few in Boston (MGH, Emerson, Northeastern?) and maybe U of Central FL + U of Southern FL.

P.S. Anyone else beating their head against the wall trying to write a succinct SOP? A lot of schools seem to want you to limit it to about 500 words, which I'm just sooo terrible at doing! (I tend to write far too much ... as you can probably already tell.)

Edited by belik