SLP Fall 2014

Hi everyone!

I am making my first visit to one of my schools tomorrow to meet with the director and some of the staff. Do any of y'all have an idea of some questions I should ask them while I am there? In applying to the school, I've done so much research for it and I feel like a lot of my questions have been answered. 

Along with that, should I bring anything with me to the visit (resume, personal statement, etc.)? I'm definitely bringing a notebook and pen just to write down important info, but I didn't know if I should bring something of mine to give to the director. 

Any help with this would be much appreciated!

Does anyone know how "competitive" the following programs are? I have a lower GPA so I am concerned about that. I'd like to apply to: San Diego State University, James Madison, Syracuse, and Salus University.

Thanks! 

SDSU is one of the most competitive, JMU and Syracuse have higher application:admission ratios, I dont know much about the Salus program. For most schools, the acceptance rates can cad collate between 10-20% acceptance. Schools in more rural areas tend to have higher acceptance rates as well as newer programs. Hope this helps!

Edited by NCAR823

Thank you, that is good to know! Also, do you know which programs are more likely to offer funding? Sometimes it's hard to find this information on the websites and I don't know if I should trust ASHA EdFind. I've heard that sometimes the newer programs are partial towards international applicants...

Edited by DeafAudi

SDSU is one of the most competitive, JMU and Syracuse have higher application:admission ratios, I dont know much about the Salus program. For most schools, the acceptance rates can cad collate between 10-20% acceptance. Schools in more rural areas tend to have higher acceptance rates as well as newer programs. Hope this helps!

**Cad collate= Oscillate- that's what I get for not reading before I post!! haha

Hello Everyone!

I am also excited to be able to be on this thread as I read a lot of it last year.  I am applying for the first time really even though I applied to 2 online schools last year(idaho state, Northridge). 

I got my bachelors in Communicative Disorders at Cal State Northridge in May of this year(2013).  SO if anyone wants advice about Northridge, feel free to ask! 

My Stats:

OVERALL GPA: 2.77

Last 60 Sem Units GPA: 3.35

SLP GPA: 3.28

GRE V-152 Q- 151, AW- 3.5

As you can see my overall GPA is VERY LOW.  I was not interested in school early on in life and my GPA was basically a 2.0 before I knew what I wanted to do. 

Experience:

1 year as a RSP teachers aide

1 year as an SLP working under a credential waiver here in the Greater Los Angeles area.

1 year as a NeuroPhysical therapy trainer working with kids with ADD, ADHD, Autism, Aspergers, etc.

1 year as after school YMCA program leader.

APPLYING: CAL STATE NORTHRIDGE, UNIV OF PACIFIC, FHSU, WEST TEXAS A&M, ENMU, Idaho State, BYU, GVSU, Western Carolina Univ., Central Arkansas

I just finished my Fall semester!

I'm sitting down and finishing my SOPs this weekend. They are technically done but need some polishing. Thankfully my mom is a professional writer and can help me. Then I will be sending in my applications! I have already ordered my transcripts from my university and my GRE scores.

Out of curiosity, how many programs are you all applying to? So far I've got 10 on my list (completed 5 of the applications), but working on the 5 I have left... I realize now that I'm less enthused about these 5 schools than I originally thought.

If you're applying to more than a handful schools, how did you choose where to apply? Aside from it being "the prudent thing" to apply to a lot of schools, what are your reasons for applying to X number of schools?

Edited by kbell

Well to be honest, I emailed probably 100 schools back in May and June and asked specific questions about their program, Class sizes, Cost, Acceptance Stats (gre, gpa, etc.) and did a follow up email to the schools that fit me and my gpa and needs.  I narrowed it down to like 17 schools that I had a shot at getting accepted to.  But now that I am applying, I think I have knocked it down to 10 schools. 

For me it was easier because of my GPA.  I had to narrow my schools to those who look at your last 60 sem GPA since I had a 2.34GPA in my fisrt 2 years of school.  But I was brutally honest in my follow up emails and asked if people with my stats and experience had been accepted at their schools this past year or 2 and I kept schools that DO accept people with my background and stats. 

Hope that helps!

twinguy7

Posted Today, 05:17 PM

Well to be honest, I emailed probably 100 schools back in May and June and asked specific questions about their program, Class sizes, Cost, Acceptance Stats (gre, gpa, etc.) and did a follow up email to the schools that fit me and my gpa and needs.  I narrowed it down to like 17 schools that I had a shot at getting accepted to.  But now that I am applying, I think I have knocked it down to 10 schools. 

For me it was easier because of my GPA.  I had to narrow my schools to those who look at your last 60 sem GPA since I had a 2.34GPA in my fisrt 2 years of school.  But I was brutally honest in my follow up emails and asked if people with my stats and experience had been accepted at their schools this past year or 2 and I kept schools that DO accept people with my background and stats. 

Hope that helps!

twinguy7

Hope that helps!

Out of curiosity, how many programs are you all applying to? So far I've got 10 on my list (completed 5 of the applications), but working on the 5 I have left... I realize now that I'm less enthused about these 5 schools than I originally thought.

If you're applying to more than a handful schools, how did you choose where to apply? Aside from it being "the prudent thing" to apply to a lot of schools, what are your reasons for applying to X number of schools?

twinguy7

Hope that helps!

Posted Today, 08:58 PM

twinguy7,  I was wondering if you have the list of schools that accept your background and stats?  Thanks

twinguy7,  I was wondering if you have the list of schools that accept your background and stats?  Thanks

hello,

I do have a spread sheet with like 20-30 schools that take people based on their last 60 GPA.  Would you like that?  whats your email?

Just 8... my professors request that if you're going to apply to more than 8 schools and you're getting a recommendation from them, they'd like to "talk it over".

That and, well, if I don't get into any of those 8 schools (which are a mix of reasonable to extremely competitive), I probably wouldn't have gotten into anywhere else I semi-want to apply to.

hello,

I do have a spread sheet with like 20-30 schools that take people based on their last 60 GPA.  Would you like that?  whats your email?

Yes, that would be great. My email is miss_beyesah@hotmail.com.  Thanks

Congratulations!!! I finished yesterday as well and am looking forward to finalizing apps this weeksnd. Can't wait to send them off!!

Congratulations to you too! I just finished and sent mine today. I just have to put a few forms in the mail for Seton Hall and Montclair and order transcripts from a community college I went to for two classes that won't let you order online. But most of the work is done!

For those who asked about how many schools: I'm applying to four schools. I should probably apply to more but I'm limited by geography - I have to stay near my fiance's job.

Is there anyone else not even close to finishing applications? I submitted 5 applications that I was able to use similar(ish) personal statements for. I now have 3 schools left that all require different personal statements. The 5 statements I've already done were geared towards bilingual programs and the remaining 3 aren't so I honestly can't reuse any material. It just stinks because I am so mentally checked out now that the semester is over and I'm finding it so hard to get motivated. Someone please tell me I am not alone in feeling like this!

Edited by SLPamy

Is there anyone else not even close to finishing applications? I submitted 5 applications that I was able to use similar(ish) personal statements for. I now have 3 schools left that all require different personal statements. The 5 statements I've already done were geared towards bilingual programs and the remaining 3 aren't so I honestly can't reuse any material. It just stinks because I am so mentally checked out now that the semester is over and I'm finding it so hard to get motivated. Someone please tell me I am not alone in feeling like this!

Hi, you are not the only one.  I haven't even submitted one application yet.  I am applying to 9 schools can you imagine?

SLPamy,

I'm in the same boat!  I got all of my CSDCAS applications done weeks ago, but I've been struggling to motivate myself to finish my apps for Vandy and U of I. Stay strong!  We can do this!

SLPamy,

I'm in the same boat!  I got all of my CSDCAS applications done weeks ago, but I've been struggling to motivate myself to finish my apps for Vandy and U of I. Stay strong!  We can do this!

We're applying to so many of the same schools! I also have U of I left, along with Elmhurst and Northwestern. I'm aiming for getting all my drafts done before Christmas.

Good luck to you sayjo and asemoooooo!

Hey everyone! I'm just now joining this thread! I've finished two applications that were due in January and am now working on the apps that are due in February. All of them are done aside from essays and some LORs. How's everyone doing with their apps?