MPP / Global Policy Germany, HELP, I can't decide

Guys, I need some help deciding.  This is all about money and opportunity cost.  I'm leaning towards Hertie or Potsdam since it is in a great study location.  It's just so expensive, here are my other options:

I have been accepted at the following places to study in Germany:

Hertie School of Governance in Berlin, Master of Public Policy

The Willy Brandt School of Public Policy at the Universität Erfurt, Master of Public Policy

Jacobs University Bremen, International Relations (free)

I was rejected by Mannheim for their MA in Political Science.

Seemed like they didn't even really read my application correctly. I have a BA in History, but History and PolySci are closely related. That was the reason they gave me.

Universitat Potsdam, Master of Public Management. 

So here is my reasoning.  The Potsdam program is only one year, allows me to focus on Global Public Policy which I want to do and costs less (about $14,000).  However, I don't know anything about their reputation or real world practicality.  Does anyone know anything about this?  There is also no chance for an internship.  However, if I can finish my graduate degree in one year I might continue onto the Berlin Graduate School of Transnational Studies to get my PhD. 

Hertie seems to have more of a reputation as being an elite school.  Is this overblown?  Is it worth more to study there because of possible connections?  I'd like to live in Berlin because it's an awesome city.  But the school is expensive, even though I got a 25% tuition waiver (still about $26,000 for two years). 

Living costs make this another problem.  Because it'd take some work to pay tuition and make money to pay for costs.  However, I do have a substantial amount saved up.  I am also fluent in German and might want to live in Germany for some time, if that makes a difference.

What's worth it?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

Edited by masterschoolDE

I think you should also try posting this on the international forum. There are a few Germans who regularly post there. Even if they aren't in your field of study they may still be able to comment on the general reputation of each of these universities.

That's a tough spot to be in. I think the first thing you should figure out is where do you want to end up. The BTS is good, but it's an academic program, wheras Hertie (and Willy Brandt) are more practitioner-oriented.

Also, how much work experience and connections do you have coming in? From what I hear, the professional year, and career services are huge strengths if Hertie that can help you, especially if you have an idea of where you wanna end up, but don't know how to (and haven't gotten a lot of experience yet).

I wouldn't choose Potsdam just for the location, and I've never heard of the program there, but since I'm doing IR (not public policy, take that with a grain of salt). Jacobs University is supposed to be good academically, but is operating at a structural loss, so it's not the safest place to be in terms of it being around for 20 years or so (so name recognition will be low).

Hertie is definitely the most well-regarded program of the lot, although it is really expensive. I do think it all depends on where you wanna end up.

Thank you so much for the response!

Where are you studying if you don't mind me asking?  

The price is a big blow for Hertie.  The problem is finding funding for two years for living and tuition for Hertie.  I have a pretty good amount of money saved up but it only covers one of the two.  With Potsdam I'd have enough money for living and tuition and I'd have the option of being able to afford to do a traineeship after that.  But the Hertie school seems like they'd have better connections for that type of thing.  

I've been working as a Fellow at Public Citizen for the past 6 months or so.  So that'll look good on my resume, however it won't help with connections in Germany. 

As for Potsdam, it was mentioned in the excellence group for Political Science by Die Zeit a couple years ago, with similar (and even sometimes better) rankings as Humboldt.  

Everyday I kind of teeter back and forth.  I would eventually like to work for an international NGO or organization that works on labor rights abroad and in developing countries.  Hertie is also strangely neo-conservative so it might not be the best place for it?

Anyways thanks a ton for the info.  I do think being close to Berlin is an advantage, especially for networking.  My fears are that a Master's degree from either Hertie or Potsdam won't be enough.  And that's why I would consider moving on to the BTS.  Potsdam has their own PhD program, which is supposed to be excellent: http://www.wipcad-potsdam.de/  

The guy that runs both those programs would be a good person to get close to too: http://www.uni-potsdam.de/db/fuhr/index.php?id=18  

Ugh, anyways I'm not entirely sure what to do.  If Hertie had given me a 50% waiver I'd definitely have chosen there.  Anyways, thanks again, if you have any other info I can always use it!  Cheers!

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5.1.2017 at 0:50 PM, Imelda Koskei said:

hi, which school did you eventually decide on.

i am currently applying and am having a difficult time deciding between hertie and willy brandt for masters of public policy

On 20.1.2017 at 5:13 PM, pedropabloerr said:

It would be good to know about your final decision, and your thoughts about it

Hey you two, I saw this question on the google search engine so I made an account to answer all your questions.

I study at the WBS Public Policy in Erfurt, please let me know how I can be of assistance. 

• 11 months later...
On 10/3/2017 at 7:52 PM, WBSAlumn4321 said:

Hey you two, I saw this question on the google search engine so I made an account to answer all your questions.

I study at the WBS Public Policy in Erfurt, please let me know how I can be of assistance. 

Hi I also have been accepted to both Willy Brandt and Hertie, could you please give me more info. I am having a tough time deciding. 

Edited by Sonia91