MIT

rhodochrosite

Do you think participating in a joint program at MIT somehow "dilutes" the MIT PhD? (Prestige disclaimer: I recognize this is a silly concern, but I hope to get an academic job someday, and want to give myself every advantage within my reach.)

At MIT I can pick EAPS geology or the joint program with Woods Hole Oceanographic Instiitute. Same advisor, essentially the same classes either way. I have talked to students and can't make up my mind.

Guest guest

IMHO, you can't go wrong with the joint program, especially if the advisor is the same. You'll have access to the perks of both programs, while if you only enroll in EAPS, you may not have access to the joint program perks. But, it's ultimately up to you

Guest liquidmethane
Do you think participating in a joint program at MIT somehow "dilutes" the MIT PhD?

Absolutely not. Especially since WHOI is just as prestigious as MIT in the geosciences (even more so in oceanography). Focus on potential advisors and research groups.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Uhm, MIT EAPS is a fine geology program, but not the best. WHOI is one of the top 3 ocean programs, and certainly the most recognized globally.

I think your concern should instead be, does having the MIT label dilute my WHOI goodness?