Free GRE Resources Master Post

sarab

Powerprep software: this gives you practice tests directly from the ETS, timed and untimed. 

From the ETS website: Practice bookMath ReviewMath ConventionsIntro to QuantIntro to Verbal, Overview of the Analytical Writing.

Magoosh: their website gives you free questions and free videos explaining things. They also have free ebooks: generalmath, verbal. They have the option to upgrade to get access to more things, but you can use the free options. You do need to register to have access to the free resources.

Manhattan: I’ve heard from multiple sources they have are the best. They give you one free practice test.

GRE question a day: they will send you a daily question to your email, but you can also browse questions from previous days. I like it because it gives you an explanation to the questions if you get them wrong.

Princeton Review: I’ve heard their practice are very easy compared to the real thing, but you can take a free practice test. It might still be helpful.

Virtual Math Lab help for the GRE: This gives you tutorials for all the math concepts covered in the GRE.

My GRE tutor: covers information about all the sections of the GRE.

Number2: Provides you with practice questions and explanations.

Powerscore GRE prep: they have free online seminars as well as other GRE info and even info on graduate schools.

Vocabtest: this site helps you learn vocabulary and lets you create your own vocab tests.

Kaplan practice test: don’t know how good it is, but it’s a free practice test!

This list is definitely not complete, if you do a google search there will be lots of resources, but I think this is a good and helpful list.

Feel free to add resources you think are good! Good luck!

Edited by sarab

Topic pinned. This is a great initiative! 

NOTE: please do NOT post any plagiarized materials here. As future academics, I hope you understand that we must respect other people's hard work and intellectual property. 

I didn't plagiarize anything. At least I don't think I did.

I didn't plagiarize anything. At least I don't think I did.

Oh, sorry if I wasn't clear. The warning is not for you but for anyone else who might post in this thread following you! This is a problem we sometimes encounter in the GRE forum, and I'd like posters to be sure that what they are posting is legal and free for general use. 

Anki: a program which makes remembering things easy. Anyone who needs to remember things in their daily life can benefit from Anki. Since it is content-agnostic and supports images, audio, videos and scientific markup (via LaTeX), the possibilities are endless.

Quizlet: is a free website providing learning tools for students, including flashcards, study and game modes. It has mobile apps for iPhone, Android, Windows, and more.

Majortests: provides practice tests and resources for high school, college and graduate tests with a focus on SAT, GRE, and GMAT.

Wordnik: a website for learning vocabulary in context with so many features such as definitions from dictionaries, synonyms, antonyms, etymologies, sentences in which the words have been used, visuals, sounds, etc.

gkacademy: provides you with ample timed GRE tests containing Text Completion & Sentence Equivalence sets.

Mnemonics: an online dictionary that helps in learning and remembering word and it's meaning easily by providing memory aids (called mnemonics) for each word. Mnemonics connect to-be-remembered meaning of words with a systematic and organized set of images or words that are already firmly established in long-term memory and can therefore serve as reminder cues.

onlinemathlearning: a series of free lessons that will cover the mathematics topics required for the Quantitative Reasoning measure of the New GRE. It is based on the Math Review text from ETS.

Edited by Arezoo

Princeton Review is already on the list, but here's a gem of theirs that I think is easy to overlook:

Princeton Review Vocab Minute Podcast: a huge series of very short songs featuring vocabulary words and their meanings.  They have junior (ACT/SAT) and senior (GRE) level, and if stupid songs help you learn (and they definitely help me learn!), they're fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the current GRE test paper-based? They don't offer Computer-based tests?

Most are computer-based. but there is the option to take the paper one.

Thanks... Of course I prefer the computer-based. I almost forgot how to handle a paper-based test !

Rose Egypt, it's worth noting that the computer-based GRE is only offered in Cairo. ETS also offers the paper GRE in Alexandria and Sohag, but only on limited dates. Depending on where you are located in the country, it may be worth looking into this (if you haven't already registered of course). Dates for the paper tests are here

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Good research. I'll try to make the most of these. I just downloaded the Magoosh Vocab Flashcards. I'll check them out in the morning. 

Princeton Review is already on the list, but here's a gem of theirs that I think is easy to overlook:

Princeton Review Vocab Minute Podcast: a huge series of very short songs featuring vocabulary words and their meanings.  They have junior (ACT/SAT) and senior (GRE) level, and if stupid songs help you learn (and they definitely help me learn!), they're fantastic.

how can i know which word the song is about?  i can figure out some but some can not.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm an international student and I created the following site (actually a GRE wordlist) in my free time. Please visit it at:

http://killthegre.com

In the aforementioned site, one can find words from the following books:
Priority 1: From Kaplan - GRE EXAM Verbal Work Book - 200 TOP GRE Words
Priority 2: From Barron - Essential Words for the GRE - 300 Absolutely Essential GRE Words
Priority 3: From Barron - Essential Words for the GRE - 800 High-Frequency GRE Words
Priority 4: From Princeton

The definitions are from Longman dictionary.

Please learn the most important words (priority 1) first and then go to the next level and learn ones in the Priority 2 group and so on.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to add that Greenlight Test Prep has a free set of videos covering strategies for tackling Quantitative Comparison questions: http://www.greenlighttestprep.com/module/gre-quantitative-comparison as well as how to handle the AWA essays: http://www.greenlighttestprep.com/module/gre-analytical-writing

We also have 2 GRE word lists on Quizlet: 

- 500 commonly-tested GRE words (basic): http://quizlet.com/18795939/gre-basic-flash-cards/#

500 more GRE words (advanced): http://quizlet.com/18809160/gre-advanced-flash-cards/

Cheers,

Brent

KillTheGRE.com Free Online Test about 400 GRE Verbal Test. Each time one can see 10 questions. To see another set, just refresh the Page.

KillTheGRE.com Free Word List about 5000 most common GRE words from popular GRE books. The words are classified in 5 level.

KillTheGRE.com Free Reading GRE-level readings from various journals.

Edited by yeki

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can point to two resources which just became available in 2014, which I've found useful:

1. BenchPrep's FREE GRE Playbook (100+ pages in PDF format): https://benchprep.com/gre-ebook
  2. The 20 Most-Difficult GRE Practice Questions (also in PDF; they're pretty hard but you can see how the test-makers think): https://benchprep.com/hardest-gre-questions

Magoosh also has a lot of free eBooks.